• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund's cut center Production back in icut / Esko

charliepapa

Hi everybody, is my first thread so if i'm doing something wrong please tell me.
I just changed of workplace, i been working many years with the combo Caldera / HP FB700 / Zund G3 and now im with Caldera / Durst P10 / Kongsberg XL. The workflow is quite diferent and seems like the i-cut version i'm using right now is pretty outdated (in comparsion with Zund Cut Center). One of the things that really surprised me was the option "production back": in Zund Cut center i use to prepare some files for being cut and creased from the back of the substrate, corrugated cardboard mostly, i use to prepare the file with the Caldera Compose, nest it, add the dotted regmarks and then let the cnc camera read the dots and the edges of the substrate in zund cut center, so i finish with a nice printed side A and creased and cut side B.

Now in i-cut the software only allow me to read the dots or the edges, so, anytime i want to cut the side B of the substrate i have to print the regmarks in the side B (thats a huge waste of time when the substrate only need on side printed).

I'm desperate cause i got tons of honeycomb boards already printed and needed to be cut from the non printed side. My coworker told me that is not possible to do with icut. But i can not believe it.

Thanks in advance.

ChrisN

Looks like their new i-Cut Production Console software can do this. From the manual:

11.7.2. Reverse Operation by use of Camera
Workflow
Step 1 - Regmarks and corners are read by the Camera.
Step 2 - the sheet is flipped (turned or tumbled), and corners are read by the Camera

We run i-cut 6 (and can't upgrade to anything later:(), and we don't have that production option. I'm not sure if i-cut 7 has this feature or not.

I've done reverse production a few ways. What I usually do involves transferring the registration marks from the front of the sheet to the back by drilling a hole through the sheet on the registration mark. This effectively puts the registration marks on the back of the sheet, and they can then be read by the camera.

If the job didn't need super precise registration, I've hand-drilled through the sheet on the registration marks. To minimize production downtime, I drill new sheets while the cutter is running a job on the previous sheet. Hand-drilling is obviously not too precise; so if the job needs better registration, I've had the cutter read the registration marks and punch a hole through the middle of each mark using the router. This is more precise than hand drilling but it takes up more cutter time.

Hope this helps!

axelmk

We have a Colex and when we need to do reverse, we drill the holes in front and then flip it. It should recognize the 1/4" marks.
Hope this helps.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Hi everybody, is my first thread so if i'm doing something wrong please tell me.
I just changed of workplace, i been working many years with the combo Caldera / HP FB700 / Zund G3 and now im with Caldera / Durst P10 / Kongsberg XL. The workflow is quite diferent and seems like the i-cut version i'm using right now is pretty outdated (in comparsion with Zund Cut Center). One of the things that really surprised me was the option "production back": in Zund Cut center i use to prepare some files for being cut and creased from the back of the substrate, corrugated cardboard mostly, i use to prepare the file with the Caldera Compose, nest it, add the dotted regmarks and then let the cnc camera read the dots and the edges of the substrate in zund cut center, so i finish with a nice printed side A and creased and cut side B.

Now in i-cut the software only allow me to read the dots or the edges, so, anytime i want to cut the side B of the substrate i have to print the regmarks in the side B (thats a huge waste of time when the substrate only need on side printed).

I'm desperate cause i got tons of honeycomb boards already printed and needed to be cut from the non printed side. My coworker told me that is not possible to do with icut. But i can not believe it.

Thanks in advance.
registration cameras are a nice tool to have.
having good practices from traditional finishing will help you more.
if your printers can hold register to a guide corner that will help you out a ton.
then you can guide the sheet to a fixed origin point and just mirror the file to cut from the back.
you might need to use some coordinate point values for the proper distance but with knife cutting that is not generally an issue.
if you were routing you need to keep in mind the 0,0 ref point and sometimes take into account -half the diameter of the bit being used.