• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4over Custom Quote - Per piece price higher on 10,000 pieces than on 5,000 pieces

SqueeGee

I just got a custom estimate for an odd sized postcard. The per piece price was higher on 10,000 than on 5,000. I contacted them and they said that the estimate was correct. They charge less for the more popular quantities. I pointed out that I could place two 5,000 piece orders to get a lower price and they acknowledged that would work but pointed out that I could pay more for shipping and that the colors may not be the exact same for both orders.

They are probably way smarter than me, but I've never heard of charging MORE per piece based on a higher quantity. Anyone else?

KevSign

Place 2 order at 5000 if save money. some time gang run at popular quantity 5000 cheaper. Custom run only your job they had to charge setup + 4 plates.
Example: 40"x28" - 16pt postcard 5x7 21up share for cost $60 for 1000 4/4 total $1260 - If custom print for 10,000 EST. $750.00 for your lot.

kanini

Sounds very strange, sometimes in very rare cases you need to renew the printing plates and/or dies (if die cut to shape) in an offset printing process after a certain number or imprints but that's very rare. In that case it could be the die/plates only last 8-9k and then needs renewal, thus an order of 10k accumulating twice the cost of the plates and dies (+setup cost or washing the offset press again) but not spreading on the same amount of products. Try to check the cost for 7-7.5k and 15k... Just throwing my .002 in here...

Edit: DOH, stupidity strikes, it doesn't work this way as they offered you to do 2x5000 for less. It's the gang run thing as KevSign pointed out, 5000 is more beneficial for their setup because it is a popular run.

Last edited:

SqueeGee

When I quoted it to the client, I adjusted the numbers so that the per piece price did not increase. They chose 5k and the order is in production, now. Maybe 4over is on to something, though. Somebody here let me know what their client says if you tell them that the per sign cost is more if they order 10 identical signs at once versus 5.

ChicagoGraphics

I just did that on regular business cards with them for one color cards, 500 were cheaper then a 1,000 so I ordered 2 boxes of 500

dale911

President
what size

What size were they? I assume full color one side and b/w on the other with a gloss coating on the color side?

CanuckSigns

Place 2 order at 5000 if save money. some time gang run at popular quantity 5000 cheaper. Custom run only your job they had to charge setup + 4 plates.
Example: 40"x28" - 16pt postcard 5x7 21up share for cost $60 for 1000 4/4 total $1260 - If custom print for 10,000 EST. $750.00 for your lot.

what?!?!?!

supersignmart

got a question that no one has asked, why in the world would the colors be different???
we print jobs for customers all the time and always match the colors to the last job ordered!
I have some customers that only order a certain job once a year, you know what the color always
match!

Locals Find!

Charging less just cause someone orders more is often a fallacy. Your efficiency peaks at a given point and it can become less efficient to do a larger run of a product than a smaller run, especially if your figure in the 10% overrun / waste factor into the equation. The longer your press is running the more chance of an error occurring. Which you need to factor into the job. I guarantee a company that size has every detail figured into their quoting system.

That is why your costs are higher on the larger job then 2 smaller jobs.

As for the colors being different, when gang run printing other jobs can affect the colors with a larger company like that your jobs may not both be assigned to the exact same press. Which will affect color output. As different factors come into play.

Just like if I ordered the same digital print from 2 different merchant members running identical machines, inks, computers etc... I guarantee the jobs will each come out slightly different.

Typestries

Adtechia is on to their logic. Also has to do with them maximizing press sheets and optimizing run sizes for max profit. Their software has compiled the most logical run size on press based on costs, historical data compiled, and the nature of the runs in the imposition batch. They make waaaaaaaayyyyyyy more per press sheet than any other offset house running a single custom job per sheet. Your custom job didn't fit their profit point, which clearly they are not willing to bend from unless they would be compensated properly. A good lesson for us all.

rjssigns

I'd look for a new printer. I understand maximizing press sheets, yield, plate life etc... Truth is offset printing is on a descending curve for pricing. Digital printing is generally a "flat line" cost.(maybe they're using a digital press?) I would have to look at my notebooks for the math regarding both processes.

From what I remember of the math you are nowhere near the "ideal" run for an offset press. As far as having more mistakes in a longer run. Statistically speaking yes. Business wise they would be looking for a new press operator.

Marie

We have used Print Harmony for a lot of full color printing, even custom jobs. They have never charged more for a longer run. You will need to call to get a custom quote instead of using the on-line quote system.

Locals Find!

I just did that on regular business cards with them for one color cards, 500 were cheaper then a 1,000 so I ordered 2 boxes of 500

Did you factor in the shipping into your math??

Based on the specs you gave those two sets would actually cost you $4.00 more than a 1000 card set. Believe, me I know there prices on Business cards better than I know my kids. I sell a lot of business cards. No way was 2 sets of 500 less than a set of 1000 with 4over ever unless you made a mistake.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Charging less just cause someone orders more is often a fallacy. Your efficiency peaks at a given point and it can become less efficient to do a larger run of a product than a smaller run, especially if your figure in the 10% overrun / waste factor into the equation. The longer your press is running the more chance of an error occurring. Which you need to factor into the job. I guarantee a company that size has every detail figured into their quoting system.

That is why your costs are higher on the larger job then 2 smaller jobs.

As for the colors being different, when gang run printing other jobs can affect the colors with a larger company like that your jobs may not both be assigned to the exact same press. Which will affect color output. As different factors come into play.

Just like if I ordered the same digital print from 2 different merchant members running identical machines, inks, computers etc... I guarantee the jobs will each come out slightly different.
Did a worm take over your computer and make you sound smart??

Locals Find!

No my intelligence sometimes get clouded by my asshat side. Kinda a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. I try to keep the one side you all know and love contained but, I am not always successful.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

When I read that, I thought the exact same thing, but then I remembered something he told me a lo-o-o-ng time ago. This was kinda related to the worm thing, but he also said someone else in his office would chime in on his computer and write things for him. Kinda like a Mini-Addie. Now ain't that one f*ckin' scary thought ?? :omg: