• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A hand routered coffee sign

Flame

A hand cut coffee sign

Sorry for the bad phone pic, but just showing a fun job I just finished. 8' x 10" hand routered coffee sign that's going up on a small building. I like fun projects like this. :)

Attachments

• coffee sign.jpg
    coffee sign.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nice sign, Flamey.

I think he means it was a free-form cut-out sign shape.... much the same way you computer people call a contourcut shape.

Flame

Exactly gino. Jigsaw "routered" out the shape in MDO plywood, primed and coated, and a digital print applied.

OldPaint

nice "CONTOUR CUT" sign, but it would be nice if you changed the TITLE, to reflect that... A CONTOUR JIGSAW CUT SIGN............is not a HAND ROUTED SIGN.

Pat Whatley

Did you mount the print before you cut it out? Just asking because it looks like it picked the vinyl a good bit (but that may just be the picture) If you use an orbital jigsaw it will eliminate that problem (or a cut-awl)

Flame

Cut first, then paint, then install vinyl. Just didn't tack down the vinyl there yet, had just laid it down. ;)

signmeup

Looks like you missed when you applied the graphic. Here's a suggestion.....lay the vinyl, leave the mask on and cut out your shape. That way the shape will follow the contour of the graphic.

Malkin

I have use that technique for DiBond and such, although it seems to me you would have trouble with painted mdo.

When we do mdo, it's usually cut, fill in any edge holes and sand edges, then prime & paint, then apply vinyl. I do usually try to avoid having the vinyl (cut or printed) go right to the edge, at least whenever possible.

In other news... sign looks good and I bet the customer loved it!

iSign

great looking job!!

(& you save $50K - $80K on not buying a router... there's been days this year I've wished I did that)

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
great looking job!!

(& you save $50K - $80K on not buying a router... there's been days this year I've wished I did that)

>Insert Plankton's (from Spongebob Squarepant's) evil voice<

If I had your router, I could rule the world!

Malkin

Oh sorry Flame, that was actually supposed to be a direct response to signmeup. I should have made that clear.

For this type of sign you probably made a vinyl pattern or pounce pattern to make the cut right?