• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone doing bumper decals for car dealer lots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt

Is anyone doing decals for car dealer lots that they put on the car bumpers? As in you cut them all out say 100 or maybe 500 at a time?

What vinyl are you using for that? And what type of tape are you using, i.e. brown or clear?

And around how much are you charging per piece? I'm guessing they are around 2"x3" or maybe 3"x4". So that would be weeded, taped up, and individually cut out.

I was thinking about trying to get some business from car dealers to cut out/tape up these decals. I know some local dealers are still using the vinyl cut pieces, so I assume they are having them done locally.

Shadowglen

I supply several dealers but I will not cut them in house too much of a PITA. I order them from Gannet Graphics they are die cut not plotter cut I pay .30 and we sell them to the dealers for about 60 cents each Not worth the time in weeding alone. Just my opinion.

Colt

I supply several dealers but I will not cut them in house too much of a PITA. I order them from Gannet Graphics they are die cut not plotter cut I pay .30 and we sell them to the dealers for about 60 cents each Not worth the time in weeding alone. Just my opinion.

Do they look like regular vinyl cut graphic with application tape on them?

And are the ones you are using under the "autograph decals."?

Looks like 500 quantity at twelve square inches or less are .80 a piece.

I didn't see where you were getting the .30 at.

Other thing is not too sure if a dealer lot would want 500 at a time. I also thought the vinyl would go bad if they sat around for a long period of time if it took them a while to sell 500 cars.

Shadowglen

Yes the autograph decal They look just like cut ones. They use a heated die to cut them I believe. And yes, they use a transfer tape. We sell to several dealers We are also a promotional products distributer (ASI) (PPAI) so we get wholesale pricing from Gannet. We also supply the dealers with there logo plates, Lic Plate frames Key tags pens and so on. Most dealers order 1000 decals at a time usually 500 black and 500 white. If you are looking at targeting smaller used car dealers you may be able to cut them and make a profit on smaller amounts, but in my experience the smaller used car lots don't like to spend money they only like to make it. :Big Laugh

Colt

Yes the autograph decal They look just like cut ones. They use a heated die to cut them I believe. And yes, they use a transfer tape. We sell to several dealers We are also a promotional products distributer (ASI) (PPAI) so we get wholesale pricing from Gannet. We also supply the dealers with there logo plates, Lic Plate frames Key tags pens and so on. Most dealers order 1000 decals at a time usually 500 black and 500 white. If you are looking at targeting smaller used car dealers you may be able to cut them and make a profit on smaller amounts, but in my experience the smaller used car lots don't like to spend money they only like to make it. :Big Laugh

I was first going to hit up the dealers already using vinyl bumper stickers. Then seeing if they'd be willing to let me make some for them as I figured they had them made locally. I was going to see what the going rate was then maybe see if I could do it cheaper since my overhead is low.

I had thought of just asking them how much they are paying per piece, then see what I could do on price. Though they could always just lie and give a real low number. Which was why I was going to see what othere tend to charge so I'd have an idea if the dealer was making up a low price.

But anyways, on that site you posted. It would cost me .80 each for 500 on the single color small decals. So I don't think that would be an option as I'd much rather try and for example make and sell them for $1 piece than try and outsource and sell for $2 a piece. I had thought those stickers were costing more, as I had talked to some who talked they charged like $1.50 a piece or even more to cut them out.

Colt

Have you used them before? The other thing is what kind of quality vinyl is used at these places.

I priced out 3"x4" one color at 500. And it was 1.19 a piece. Or $600 for the order. So that would be the price if the car dealer were to order it there themselves.

I don't think I could use one of those places and make money since their prices is probably what a dealer would be paying.

But looks like there could be room where I could do it cheaper and do it myself.

What vinyl would be recommended for bumper decals?

Jackpine

I have used Stouse. High quality products. Many car lots use specialty companies in their area for their industry needs.
Here is another supplier. http://www.cartags4less.com/decals.php
I know a guy in Alabama that cuts these for $1. I think it is crazy weeding that small stuff but he says his wife loves to do it and she's good at it. Others thermal print one color on clear, chrome or colors and contour cut. I have print and cut small stuff like that for a local window tint guy, garage door company and a local heating/cooling and make money. I printed and contour cut 100 1" Eastwin Hammers on shinerite 3 mil for a contractor for $2 each. He used them for his crew for their hardhats for an incentive. Cheap, fast and made a profit servicing my customers.

Have you used them before? The other thing is what kind of quality vinyl is used at these places.

I priced out 3"x4" one color at 500. And it was 1.19 a piece. Or $600 for the order. So that would be the price if the car dealer were to order it there themselves.

I don't think I could use one of those places and make money since their prices is probably what a dealer would be paying.

But looks like there could be room where I could do it cheaper and do it myself.

What vinyl would be recommended for bumper decals?

Colt

I have used Stouse. High quality products. Many car lots use specialty companies in their area for their industry needs.
Here is another supplier. http://www.cartags4less.com/decals.php
I know a guy in Alabama that cuts these for $1. I think it is crazy weeding that small stuff but he says his wife loves to do it and she's good at it. Others thermal print one color on clear, chrome or colors and contour cut. I have print and cut small stuff like that for a local window tint guy, garage door company and a local heating/cooling and make money. I printed and contour cut 100 1" Eastwin Hammers on shinerite 3 mil for a contractor for $2 each. He used them for his crew for their hardhats for an incentive. Cheap, fast and made a profit servicing my customers.

I'd have to make these myself and try and undercut where ever they are getting them from. I don't think I could go buy and resell these things from the same place the dealer could buy from and make any money. Plus I think the dealer would get pissed if he found out I was just being a middle man and charging him to order some decals from a .com place. The dealer would be like they could have just called them up and ordered them thereselves instead of paying extra to have me do it.

royster13

Plus I think the dealer would get pissed if he found out I was just being a middle man and charging him to order some decals from a .com place. The dealer would be like they could have just called them up and ordered them thereselves instead of paying extra to have me do it.

I have been a "broker" for 35+ years....Many businesses are based on re-selling products from elsewhere.... As far as car dealers, you can have them....

Colt

I have been a "broker" for 35+ years....Many businesses are based on re-selling products from elsewhere.... As far as car dealers, you can have them....

Yeah I understand that. But most resellers buy wholesale and sell retail, they don't mark up retail. Kinda like the car dealers themselves as I can't go and buy a car from GM, I have to go to a dealer.

I would feel like I was scamming someone if I marked up and sold stouse.com decals to a dealer when I could have just told the dealer to go to stouse.com and order themselves. And I'd bet the dealer would probably be pissed if they found out and would probably bad mouth you to everyone.

Colt

Car dealers can not go to places like Stouse......

Well, whatever places I could order from, they'd be able to order from. So I'd still be marking up retail to sell retail.

Still though I think the price would be too high to do that. My best bet is to make them myself and undercut wherever they are getting them from. Because the dealers are already either ordering from those places, or having a local shop make them.

What vinyl are you guys using for bumper decals? Still never found out what people are using for that.

laserman70

You dont want to buy them and resell them....
then look at ur suppliers catalogs.
Figure it out like we all do...
the gentleman is trying to tell you what most people do..
If you think that its cheaper to do it all yourself.. lol u dont value yourself much..
your time is worth more..
if undercutting people is your idea of business, good luck...

Shadowglen

Stouse is a good company I use them mainly for higher volume printed decals and static clings. They are competitive. I just have always used Gannet for the autographs and they have all of my dealers set up so it is easy to do repeats. So If you have lots of time on your hands and enjoy weeding small letters knock yourself out, but time is money, and I Will tell you the most a dealer will spend on one of those is a buck maybe a buck and a quarter tops. The other down side to supplying car dealers is that they all think if they buy from you you need to buy from them. hence I have a ford pickup, my wife has a jeep, and my daughter has a sion. :doh:

Shadowglen

I give up!.......

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

agree some people post up something they really want to do and no amount of logic or direction will sway them.

Colt, If you are actually running a business contact stouse, or Gannett and tell them you want to be set up as a vendor you will buy the decals for a wholesale price, and sell them at a retail price. if you are just shucking stickers out of your basement then no without an actual business they will most likely not set you up as a reseller. I just ordered 1000 2 color split back decals from stouse that I am selling to a customer. HE has no idea that I did not print them. Shhhhhhh.:cool:

Colt

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

agree some people post up something they really want to do and no amount of logic or direction will sway them.

Colt, If you are actually running a business contact stouse, or Gannett and tell them you want to be set up as a vendor you will buy the decals for a wholesale price, and sell them at a retail price. if you are just shucking stickers out of your basement then no without an actual business they will most likely not set you up as a reseller. I just ordered 1000 2 color split back decals from stouse that I am selling to a customer. HE has no idea that I did not print them. Shhhhhhh.:cool:

I do this by myself so I guess I can't buy from those places, but never planned to anyways as I didn't bring those places up.

How much money did you make on that order? And what's your mark up?

It's easy to do that when you buy wholesale.

Colt

Stouse is a good company I use them mainly for higher volume printed decals and static clings. They are competitive. I just have always used Gannet for the autographs and they have all of my dealers set up so it is easy to do repeats. So If you have lots of time on your hands and enjoy weeding small letters knock yourself out, but time is money, and I Will tell you the most a dealer will spend on one of those is a buck maybe a buck and a quarter tops. The other down side to supplying car dealers is that they all think if they buy from you you need to buy from them. hence I have a ford pickup, my wife has a jeep, and my daughter has a sion. :doh:

I do this by myself. So I buy retail, and looks like I couldn't buy from those places anyways. Or if I did, it would be retail price, then try and mark them up.

$1 a piece is pretty good. I could upgrade my cutter if I did 1500 of them. Sounds better than no upgraded cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.