• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AVERY! You all warned me!

jkdbjj

Wow, so I paid the fee went to wrap school, and all of that. Started ordering Avery material, and the very first order I placed, the laminate was grossly defective.
After asking Avery about it, they said, "The sun will fix it", of course that is every sign shops favorite quote. Sometimes it is true, not this one though.

I printed almost an entire roll for two vehicles, then laminated them. Before installation, we noticed all the blotches, severe blothches.

I took photos, sent to both Fellers and Avery, and this was 4 months ago I suppose.
Today I receive a letter from Fellers saying my claim was denied by Avery, and that they could find no problem with the sample I sent them. Saying it looked fine to them.
Luckily I held on to some of the roll here, and even today, it never got better, I left some in the sun, and it never got better either.

How ridiculously cheap these people are, to treat a new customer this way.
Well Goodbye Avery, hope you go out of business, you cheap bastards.

fmg

You would think that Avery would have learned the last time round with all the trouble their consumers were having. Write them in again with a sample, images and see if you have any joy that way.I would think at the least they would reimburse your media you wasted.
Good luck with the claim if you make one.

klingsdesigns

That sucks i hate dealing with bs like that.. Usually fellers is pretty good to deal with. I will def stick to my 3m. I would rather pay more then have to deal with problems.

HulkSmash

ive had bad rolls exactly like that, and replaced no question asked. shoot me an email, and i'll make sure you talk to the right person in avery.

kanini

Have had two rolls of defective lam from Avery lately when running trough a larger lot, it was just a small portion of blotches but the supplier replaced the rolls without any discussion. The last time I also got some reimbursements etc. so I think it was handled correctly.

One of the rolls had lines across coming from the paper core(?) or something, and the other had the same lines + blotches. Took a lot of pics of both the lam while still in the laminator and sent back the remaining roll and no problem whatsoever. Have been very happy with Avery so far, feels "easy to use" and they have products that suits me... Sorry to hear you've had problems, nothing worse than have to spend time on resolving an issue like that, that should be handled smoothly from the supplier. With that said, I think you should need to handle this with your supplier, not Avery directly...

toucan_graphics

I had issues with Avery when I first started doing signs. (2004) My issue was wuth extreme shrinkage. I'm talking nearly 1/4 inch on all sides leaving a dirty sticky mess around everything Avery that I installed over a period of about a month! The worst thing was it took abut 6 weeks for the shrinkage to occur. I had to refund or redo all of those jobs and Avery NEVER stood behind their product. That's why I won't even buy Avery for cheap on Ebay, I stick to 3m, Oracal and FDC whenever possible.

Good luck getting your issue resolved - I never got a resolution on mine, just a letter explaining how Avery is the best product on the market and I must have failed to follow Avery guidelines for product use.

HulkSmash

No offence to fellers, but this is why I don't use them very much. Companies like Grimco, Denco, Advantage, and others actually fight for their customers and products. When i have a return, these companies instantly give me a refund, and fight the distributors on the matter... they are your middle man. I would refuse to pay, and make sure your CC company knows it. If you want Avery order from Grimco. I've had returns with fellers before and their reps just throw the returns to their return dept, and let them manufactures decide the fate.. they. don't. care.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I had just the opposite.

When they were still Ameriban and A V E R Y had their first big upheaval, A V E R Y did nothing, but Ameriban gave us most everything back in credit and we could use the credit on any products. It did NOT have to be other A V E R Y products.

Also, when we had a ton of Zero-Nine cartridges go bad.... they completely reimbursed us.

jkdbjj

Here are some of the photos from months ago. As I said still to date the blotchiness never disappeared.

As for Fellers, they did replace the vinyl when it happened, but now want me to pay for it, since Avery declined the defect.

Adam, I'll PM you for that name.
As for Fellers I will be talking with them today, and they can determine if they want to keep my business. At one time I was one of their bigger accounts around Charlotte, so who knows.
Bottom line, this is a principle thing, and I really don't have time to be spending on them for a couple rolls, so I'll try to push a little, and then just forget about it.

lam1.jpg

lam2.jpg

lam3.jpg

HulkSmash

Here are some of the photos from months ago. As I said still to date the blotchiness never disappeared.

As for Fellers, they did replace the vinyl when it happened, but now want me to pay for it, since Avery declined the defect.

Adam, I'll PM you for that name.
As for Fellers I will be talking with them today, and they can determine if they want to keep my business. At one time I was one of their bigger accounts around Charlotte, so who knows.
Bottom line, this is a principle thing, and I really don't have time to be spending on them for a couple rolls, so I'll try to push a little, and then just forget about it.

View attachment 85578

View attachment 85579

View attachment 85580

A torch might take that out, but who has time to heat every square inch of a full roll?

SIGNTIME

i get that on every roll of lam from oracal but its only the last 4 or 5 feet which gets tossed anyways except in those "oh **** this is gonna be a close one" nail biters

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I really don't see the problem in your pictures, unless it's the white blotchy areas.

Quick question.... is your laminator heat assisted ??

jkdbjj

I really don't see the problem in your pictures, unless it's the white blotchy areas.

Quick question.... is your laminator heat assisted ??
Yes I have a heated laminator, we run it at about 100-110 degrees.

If you look at the photo of the laminator, you will see the cross patterns on the laminate. Those simply do not disappear when applied. So, when the print comes out, and pictures take a little away from reality, which is why I sent part of the roll to Avery, the milky blotches are all over the surface, and look ridiculous.

Actually, during that process, the customer showed up, came back and noticed it right away, and I had to explain what was going on.

johnnysigns

looks like heavy mottling, I'd bark back at Fellers and/or try going to a different source in Avery. Did you reach out to Linda there?