• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beginner question....I don't know anything

biznitch

I'm very new to this, and haven't ever even cut anything, I will explaine what I have and what I want to start doing.
I just bought a Summa D75 cutter and I will be running Illustrator and Winplot-(came with cutter)
I've never used illustrator or Corel draw before but have been using photoshop for quite some time

the cutter will be used to cut stripes for airplanes, but I need to get some basic skills first before... I figured out how to send text to the cutter. I got an image of a logo (KTM) which is very basic, how would I get that converted into something winplot can read?

any help is greatly appreciated
I know this is basic stuff, but I have to start somewhere

thanks in advance
Dany

PaulS

Hey Dany when I finished in the army (if that's possible?) end of 92 I was in the same boat.

I'm self-taught so just practice and experimentation is how I learned. No fancy internet to learn stuff with, just started doing small jobs till I got more proficient (four hungry kids are a great motivator heh heh).

Just practice, use your cheapest materials to experiment with.

Rhino

I think learning the difference between raster and vector images would be a good place to start.

signage

Another welcome to the forums from PA....

Illustrator creates Vectors Photoshop is raster, plotter needs vector shapes to follow! Practice best way to learn!

biznitch

How does one buy a machine that has NO clue how to use it?

if we learn to use it we don't have to sub out, so we make more profit? this is a hobby I've got lots of time to learn how to use it.

I understand the difference between raster and vector, I just need to figure out how to convert one to the other

Charlie J

If I were you I would enroll at your local college in a class on adobe illustrator. Or I'd get on youtube and start watching illustrator tutorials.

TheSnowman

I understand the difference between raster and vector, I just need to figure out how to convert one to the other

There really isn't a way to "convert" and have the same kind of quality. You can use Auto Trace, stuff like that or even VECTOR DR. (small plug in for him there) but you will basically have to re-create anything in vector format that you have made in photoshop.

biznitch

I will just have to play around with it I guess, I've been reading quite a bit on here, I'm sure it'll come with time, we bought lots of vinyl so I'm sure we'll go through a few rolls before we get it perfect

futuredcon

Hey Biznitch.Lots of practice and trial or error my friend.Take no notice of that Drunk Gino or that worthless comment by ChicagoGraphics.They think they are pro's but they seem to spend so much time on here bitchin people down it makes you wonder what they do.Well one of em quite clearly spends most time perching up a bar.Good luck and may i suggest adobe illustrator classroom in a book manual may be of some help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou: future.

Sorry that I offended you in someone else's post. I'll have to be more careful. Again, excuse me for being so mean. :loveya:

weaselboogie

Hey Biznitch.Lots of practice and trial or error my friend.Take no notice of that Drunk Gino or that worthless comment by ChicagoGraphics.They think they are pro's but they seem to spend so much time on here bitchin people down it makes you wonder what they do.Well one of em quite clearly spends most time perching up a bar.Good luck and may i suggest adobe illustrator classroom in a book manual may be of some help.

You're off to a hell of a start. 40% of your posts are slamming other members...:thumb:

zmatalucci

Naaa that would be a bit obvious now wouldn't it.

It's good to maintain your secretive nature, because if I actually knew who or where you were, I would come find you with that $1200 in cash that you talked smack on before.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post412798 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>futuredcon
user_online.gif
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_412798", true); </SCRIPT>
Preppie
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Aug 2008

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_412798><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by zmatalucci
A guy ordered some banners, and I never dealt with him before. So I told him I want payment, up front, in cash.
Wa La!
He's a keeper!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
What's the point in taking a picture of a few bundles of mostly $1 bills and posting it. Do you feel like you are a player now? Wow big time business person we have here.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>