• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beginner question....I don't know anything

futuredcon

welcome....

I don't mean to slam anyone, but it amazes me how many people just buy a plotter and software and try to make it in the vinyl / sign business.

There is no other business except for maybe lawn mowing where so many untrained people just run out and buy equipment and wing it.

I think I will go buy a few craftsmen wrenches tomorrow and start a car repair shop....

Make it Snap on and you might just cut it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Will you buy me a beer at the meet too.I think i may be coming along to see all you people that is if i am permited to.:signs101: yaaaaay its the best sign forum in the whole wide world yippeeeee.

Yes, by all means. :Welcome: Try and make it to the meet. I'm sure there will be many interested people that would like to talk to you. Perhaps, you too could learn to fit in.... even though you're starting off on a bad foot. We all are a forgiving bunch a scum, but we'll let you into our circle and teach you some scruff and drinking habits you won't forget. Don't forget to bring your brushes, chisels, tweezers or any other tools you might need to display your skilled talents. I know I am waiting patiently to see you in action...........:popcorn:

Gordy Saunders

If you can put a pen in your machine, you can draw. It will work exactly the same as if it had a knife in it. You can practice on paper and not waste any vinyl. You can draw over and over on the same piece of paper. Try it, and you'll save a lot of money!!!

S'N'S

Biznitch........ as you are starting out from fresh, maybe you would be better off getting and learning Corel or a better sign program than Winplot. Vinyl Master Pro is reasonably priced, very easy to learn, I have many other programs but tend to only use Corelx3 and VMP. I've done some Ultra light planes and while the design looks great on the monitor, they are a pain in the butt to apply long stripes to, too many curves.
I usually take a photo of the plane, taking as many measurements as I can and import that into VMP/Corel and resize to my measurements and then design directly onto the plane.
Cheers Gary

RebeckaR

I just bought a Summa D75 cutter and I will be running Illustrator and Winplot-(came with cutter)

If you have Illustrator... you're set. Just sit yourself down and learn how to use it.

Rodi

Vectors are line art, think SOLID PLANE STRIPES which each color is solid. Photoshop is Raster, think full color picture (Combination of RGB/CMYK/LAB etc) any one channel may not make sense, but when combined it looks like a picture.
Vectors, roughly are Bezier curves, which are mathematical in nature to being resolution independent, they can be sized up or down ad infinitum.
Rasters are resolution dependent, the size of the graphic is dependent on the resolution to look correct, not fuzzy or artifacted. Photoshop documents should be 300dpi for offset printing and less for large format printing.
Advantages of Vectors is compact size and Brightness.
Advantage of Rastors is pictures.
Hope that helps.

BTW, how did the date go?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
It may be easier to have someone print out some of your designs. Saves a lot of time until you get some practice. A lot of these nice people would be more than happy to get some actual work.

Welcome from OK.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No ima..... I don't think Darlak is in this game any longer. He seems to be having the same nitwits bothering him over on his own site. I believe Darlak has witnessed first hand how some fools can really do stupid things and how they must be dealt with to keep the masses from revolting.

SignosaurusRex

I'm of the opinion that futureDcon has been issued his first warning in this thread. If his nonsense continues he's good for one more short and quick warning and if his crap persists....It should be "ADIOS A$$HOLE"! Members exercising the option of "Self Policing" goes quite a long way! We don't need this kind of mindless, hole-in-the-side-of-the-neck, blather-spew that turns other quality folks away from this site.

biznitch

Hey Biznitch,
If you are just cutting stripes I don't know why you would create anything in photoshop. You can't create cuts in a raster and then just convert. It is more efficient to simply create the original in your vector program. Also, when you are practicing on vinyl you can reduce the graphics size by at least 50-70% before cutting (depending on the original size) and that will save you from wasting vinyl but you will still learn the ropes.

the reason we bought it was to make our own stripes for planes, but we can't just rely on that alone to make a profit. So I might as well learn how to use the cutter instead of letting it sit there and collect dust the rest of the time. we just got it today, and I haven't even hooked it up yet, I've just been trying to figure out a few things before I just start cutting and wasting vinyl. I will definately reduce the size on my first couple cuts

biznitch

welcome....

I don't mean to slam anyone, but it amazes me how many people just buy a plotter and software and try to make it in the vinyl / sign business.

There is no other business except for maybe lawn mowing where so many untrained people just run out and buy equipment and wing it.

I think I will go buy a few craftsmen wrenches tomorrow and start a car repair shop....

I completely agree with you on starting a sign business not knowing anything, I'm not trying to run a sign business, its just alot more cost effective for us to cut vinyl and lay it on a plane then spend a whole day masking a plane to paint 2 stripes then sitting overnight and doing the next color. but if I have the capability to do more then just stripes, might as well learn how to get it done...?

Cadmn

stripes can be cut on a tab;e with a razor knife eazier & faster than by machine or they make slitters. too much Bs for stripes.

Charlie J

stripes can be cut on a tab;e with a razor knife eazier & faster than by machine or they make slitters. too much Bs for stripes.

EXACTLY...do that you'll have your project done in a couple of hours. Get a big ruler, exacto knife, and a roll of vinyl for an investment of under $100.00. No need to learn any software or learning curve for equipment.

But yeah, since you've got the stuff to do it, you might as well learn how to use it.

OldPaint

Damn, you sure are a Jack Ass..!!..
THATS THE FUNNIEST ONE HERE....pot callin the kettle black)))))))))))))))))))))
I HAVE COUPLE QUESTIONS:
1. ARE THESE MODEL AIRPLANES, OR REAL BIG ONES?
2. HOW DID YOU/YOUNZE COME TO THE DECISION TO BUY A SUMA?
3.YOU SAY YOU GOT LOTS OF VINYL? WHY. IF ITS MODEL AIRPLANES.
4.COMPUTER IS SPELLED C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R.
IT HAS A GOOGLE WHEN YOU HOOK IT TO THE INTERNET.
5.COREL HAS BOOK CALLED COREL FOR DUMMIES, lowest reading level i can point you to beside DICK & JANE.
6. WHO GIVE YOU THE MONEY FOR THIS VENTURE, caause i dont see any of you smart enough to make that much money and do something productive with it.
7. WHY do you not at least GET A JOB WITH A SIGN COMPANY, GO TO A VO-TECH, FIND SOMEONE LOCAL WHO CAN AT LEAST GET YOU UP TO SPEED ...so you can use a $3000 pices of eqipment, to CUT STRIPES....
8.WHICH YOU COULD DO WITH A RAZOR KNIFE AND A STRAIGHT EDGE, unless you one of those who isnt allowed to have SHAPE OBJECTS or matches.

other then that......i got nothin to say.