• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bull.

grampa dan

Here's a fun project currently underway in our shop. The double sided sign measures 4' x 4' x 4' deep. It's routed from 30 lb Precision Board with a welded steel frame inside. The bull's head is sculpted by hand using Abracadabra Sculpting epoxy.

-dan

Attachments

• sculptdoneangle.jpg
    sculptdoneangle.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:

AUTO-FX

Is working that sculpting epoxy anything like autobody filler? Or no, it must be a bit more firm from the get-go?

grampa dan

Sculpting epoxy is best equated to working with plasticene - except this gets hard in about 3 hours - rock hard overnight. Mixing the two parts together is as big a deal as sculpting. I use students to help me out with that and either of the two ladies (one is 16 and one is 20) mixes about the same rate as I can apply it.

The epoxy does not smell like autobody filler. I use bare hands and wash often although some folks react to handling it without gloves. To work in the details I wet it down good with water after it is applied which makes it easy to smooth out or add texture without it sticking to my hands and tools.

We buy and use it by the ton (literally) and it is the coolest stuff since sliced bread!

-grampa dan

-

AUTO-FX

So, it is self supporting? In other words, you start from the bottom and work your way up? Or do you start with some sort of wireframe skeleton?

grampa dan

Depending on what we are building we use a variety of methods. Generally on bigger stuff (this project was small) I weld up a metal armature of pencil rod attached to structural steel, then expanded lath and thin rough coat of sculpt. Then we apply a final coat (a small area at a time) and put in the detail.

On this sign I routed the basic head shape from 4 layers of 1" Precision Board. Then I bulked out the cheeks, horns and other big features with heavy duty tinfoil A steel rod goes through the horns. Over this I did a rough sculpt - then a final layer with detail.

-grampa dan

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That's nice work!
With the way you build these how long do you figure they will last if installed outside?
You said double sided, will the backside side show the other end of the bull?

thanks for posting how you do what you do.

wayne k
guam usa

grampa dan

The other side of the sign will be pretty much the same - or as much as I can. The signs are durable and should last many years.

-grampa dan

signmeup

That's great Dan! Here is a little mouse I made from Magic Sculpt out of the little bit that's left over from a sign project. (You know how there's always a little bit of sculpt left over? So I thought I should do something with it) He's about 1" tall. Magic Sculpt is very much like hard plasticene to work with. It's a bit of bear to mix the two halves... hard on the hands. An apprentice would be ideal for mixing it up!

I would encourage anyone to order a small kit and give it a try. It's great fun to work with.

Attachments

• Mouse.jpg
    Mouse.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 98

B-RAD Graphics

:thumb: truely amazing work :notworthy:

..I worked for The Franklin Mint for 8yrs in the designs studio and they also had a sculpture dep. Whenever I could I would go up there and watched them sculpt..it is fascinating to me..The 3D world is totally different..they had 10 to 15 sculpters .... when things were good @ TFM ..many many years ago..

Craig Sjoquist

Awesome Bull yes Dan you certainly are inspiring to see what your doing and how you approach, articles, to final ... Thank you for sharing indeed.