• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bull.

grampa dan

Thanks for the kind comments.

The sculpting epoxy can be sanded and machined although it is very hard when dry.

Sculpting is best learned by simply doing. The more you do the better you get. The sculpting epoxy does have a bit of a learning curve as it tends to want to do what it does and you have to learn to work within those limits - like any medium.

One way to make mixing the two parts together easier is to warm the sculpt. I keep it off the floor under the heater. If I'm in a hurry the culpt can be put in a microwave over for a few seconds to make it soft.

-grampa dan

John L

Dan, Fantastic work! Unfinished even, it's most impressive!

I'd like to ask... regarding the routered wood background- do you have a toolpath strategy that brings the wood texture right up to the sides of letters routered from the same HDU piece? - or - do you router the entire background with the woodgrain texture and then pocket out for application of the letters seperately routered?

Your work is a great inspiration. Thanks for posting here.

grampa dan

Unless the sign is very large I prefer to route the letters from the same piece of material as the background. There are no failures this way. We've figured out ways to make painting even easier than doing them separately. I'll post a picture of the sign when it is done.

-grampa dan

-grampa dan

joeshaul

I always enjoy seeing your dimension signs Dan (both in Signcraft and on here!) and it inspires me to want to do better work.

I'm curious how you figure out the details of the shape, do you do a 3d rendering mockup or anything at first, or do you just sketch out how you want it to look and dig right in?

I'm more logic centered in my thought processes, but that part of me always wants me to learn how to make the other half work and be more artistic!

grampa dan

The key is how I design our routing files with layers and lots of texture.

The texture allows us to paint a base color on with acrylic paints... pretty basic stuff anybody could do. Then we apply a couple (or more) layers of glazing, semi transparent paint which we wipe off (mostly) with a soft rag. This gives our woodgrains and other textures incredible depth and richness. It doesn't take long. We work from light colors to dark. By leaving a dark glaze heavier around the letters it makes them pop out when we paint them a lighter color. We work from the bottom layer of the sign up to the top. The last thing we generally paint is the letters. Because we have raised them from the background (when we designed the routing files) we only have to paint the tops. Because they are raised with a sharp edge it is as simple as dragging a brush around the edges to get a nice crisp outline.

It makes it all easy and fast. And it makes our signs stand out from the crowd.

The sign will be in production about a week but overlapped with other similar projects. And this sign is all we need to do this week to make a good living. I told the customer we needed six weeks to do the project. We will have it done in less than four. This exceeds the customer's expectations and lessens our stress. I would much rather make one or two good paying sign each week than a hundred small things. I have no competition to worry me, and I only do a little paperwork. Less stress - more creativity. It makes sense to me.

The sign took one sheet of Precision Board (plus some scraps), a little glue, less than 1 kit (50 lbs) of of Abracadabra sculpt a bit of steel, two eye bolts, and some paint. Il'' have 20 hours into it in total plus another 15 hours for our part time help. Bec will paint it and she should be able to do it in about 8 hours.

This sign measures 4' x 4' x 4' deep. It is two sided meaning the two bull's heads will be back to back. The sign faces were routed from 2" 30 lb Precision Board. I used scrap pieces of 1.5" 30 lb Precision Board to laminate between them with a 1.5" welded square tubing frame in the middle. The eye bolts are welded to that frame and stick out the top.

The initial design concept took about an hour to do from sketch to finish. The sketch was in my sketchbook which I then imported into PhotoShop and finished with a digital pen on my Wacom tablet.

cliffsmeatssign2.jpg

The file took me less than an hour to design and send to the router. The head of the bull was created as a simple cutout of Precision Board...

Then I started adding the sculpt filling the larger areas with crumpled up heavy duty tinfoil. This was a money/time saving strategy. In the last picture you can see the pPrecision BOard cutouts as well as the crumpled tinfoil. This is a rough sculpt to get the basic shape. A final layer would be done over this.

bullheadsculpt1.jpg

I hope this answers your questions.

-grampa dan

Last edited by a moderator:

signage

Dan Off site photos aren't allowed.

Could you please post them correctly so we don't loose them.

Nice work and thanks for showing.

joeshaul

Very cool!

Now that I've seen the drawing, I remember another thread of yours, believe it was about showroom improvements/showing someone something to speed up the "what do you want?" process which it was on and didn't put two and two together!

FS-Keith

how did you fasten the head to the board? I have never used or seen this sculpting material. does it bond well to the precision board? are you putting screws halfway in as and anchor for the sculpting clay to bond around? What is this precision board you say? thanks for sharing, you are wonderful at your craft

grampa dan

The flat board of the sign is double sided and was routed in two pieces, then laminated together (back to back) with a steel frame in the middle. Before I laminated the two halves together I fastened the bull's heads to each piece. The heads had a core of Precision Board over which I sculpted the bull. The heads were glued to the face and also screwed from the back with some monster screws.

The sculpting epoxy does stick well to the Precision Board.

-grampa dan

Dave Drane

That's great Dan! Here is a little mouse I made from Magic Sculpt out of the little bit that's left over from a sign project. (You know how there's always a little bit of sculpt left over? So I thought I should do something with it) He's about 1" tall. Magic Sculpt is very much like hard plasticene to work with. It's a bit of bear to mix the two halves... hard on the hands. An apprentice would be ideal for mixing it up!

I would encourage anyone to order a small kit and give it a try. It's great fun to work with.

Great start. That is a really neat idea signmeup! all you need to do now is a little trimming and some airbrush and you have the greatest mouse idea yet. Love it!:loveya:

signmeup

I wonder if you could munch that stuff through a french fry cutter to mix it? You know, like those epoxy syringes that "wiggle" the glue together. Or maybe an old hand crank meat grinder? I'd like to do some bigger projects but I dred mixing the amount you used on that bull head.