• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CorelDraw X7

OldPaint

corel seems to get it right.......after the 3rd, 4th update to each version. i been using it since version 3. it was good 4 was good, 5 sucked, 6 sucked, 7 was the last of the TRUE CORELS. version 8 was combination of corel 7 and XARA. 9 had the most extensive font package, i still use fonts from it.....10 was rock solid. 11 & 12.......didnt offer enough changes to leave 10. X3 is where iam at STILL))))) X4, X5, X6 for what i do....didnt seem to have any saving graces for me.
X7......just might be the great one.....BUT WAIT........till they do a couple of revisions)))))

WildWestDesigns

I've been running Corel since X4 when it became directly interfaced with my digitizing software. No issues with any of those, but I usually wait a year after Corel releases their software as it typically takes that long before my digitizing software comes out with their release with DRAW. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Compared to a couple of the other posters, I actually liked X5, but again, I'm sure waiting that year also helped quite a bit.

SignManiac

X6 here with an occasional crash because of me trying to do unusual things to it. I only upgraded to X6 for the 64bit benefits associated with the added RAM. Needed for larger files.

Christian @ 2CT Media

X6 still crashes or hangs for me on most of our files (250mb+), Digging in to the tech notes I want to upgrade to X7 simply for what appears to be numerous stability upgrades and performance upticks

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Well I've got X7 installed and have found the first bug. If I export my workspace from X5, it won't import to X7. Bummer. But otherwise, I'm liking it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Any new "must have" tools introduced or major fixes?
I watched the "what's new" video and didn't see anything to get too excited about.
"sharing fills on line"? ah -ok......

wayne k
guam usa

graphicwarning

Well I've got X7 installed and have found the first bug. If I export my workspace from X5, it won't import to X7. Bummer. But otherwise, I'm liking it.

I'm not certain of this, but I believe this may be by design. The UI is completely re-done this time around, and I don't think you are able to import previous workspaces from much older versions... don't hold me to this though, I'm not 100% certain this is the case. However, it's been said many many times in the Corel forums that this is one of the biggest reason for crashes/issues is importing previous workspaces. It's always recommended to re-create them.

In terms of new items... obvious speed and stability improvements, the fill sharing is interesting (but nothing groundbreaking), however now you can create your own vector fills and save them for later. I like that mores than trying to create bitmap pattern fills before.

The transparency and gradient fill tools allow you to adjust the ellipsis's so they aren't just round gradients or transparencies anymore.

The new UI customization options are nice, and if you are able to make your own Macro's etc they've made more of the UI for available to use.

Various tool improvements exist.

As for the last few versions I had great luck with X4, but I was never too fond of X5. I had excellent results with X6 however. I honestly cannot think of a time that X6 ever crashed on me for any reason other than when I was building my own dockers and goofed up some code.

I like that some of the premium content and tools from X6 are now available in X7.

Thats my feedback as of now... but I'm sure I'll get more use out of it over the next few weeks and have some more feedback.

Joe Diaz

Any new "must have" tools introduced or major fixes?
I watched the "what's new" video and didn't see anything to get too excited about.
"sharing fills on line"? ah -ok......

wayne k
guam usa

Elliptical gradients, believe it or not, is a big one for me. The entire fill tool set has been reworked and has some nice new features. Also the new "smooth tool" is going to be real nice to have for the illustration work I do. Here is a video demonstrating that: http://coreldraw.com/blogs/gerard/archive/2014/03/06/upcoming-version-of-coreldraw-sneak-peek-1.aspx. And the dual monitor support is something I'm looking forward to. I did some beta testing early on. There are a lot of little things, that I was like, "oh that's nice I like how that works now" I'm still hoping one day they will adopt the internal fontnav idea I had a while back. Being able to sort and categorize your fonts within DRAW's font drop down menu would be a game changer IMHO.

graphicwarning

Elliptical gradients, believe it or not, is a big one for me.

They did lots of work to the fills, and there are some nice additions and enhancements for the fill for sure.

Also the new "smooth tool"

I like the smooth tool a lot... it comes in very handy in a lot of cases!

I did some beta testing early on.

haha I was being careful to write my last post in a way that I wouldn't indicate I had beta tested as well, but I guess since you've mentioned it, I won't worry so much about it!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Elliptical gradients, believe it or not, is a big one for me...

It was always an annoyance that PhotoPaint would do elliptical gradients and Draw would not.
It's a Good Thing that the great white fathers at Corel finally got their $hit in one bag.

Shadowglen

Still no mac version? Really starting to feel like a red headed step child !:cool:

Yeah but MAC and Adobe are like MAC and CHEESE The perfect combination. Corel cant get it right for PC platform just think how challenging it would be on a MAC.:Big Laugh They could call it Rubik'sDraw. Hours and hours of unproductive fun for the whole family.

Joe Diaz

Yeah but MAC and Adobe are like MAC and CHEESE The perfect combination. Corel cant get it right for PC platform just think how challenging it would be on a MAC.:Big Laugh They could call it Rubik'sDraw. Hours and hours of unproductive fun for the whole family.

Yeah I know when I'm thinking about a good quality meal, MAC and CHEESE is the first thing that comes to mind. :rolleyes: So yeah perhaps your analogy is right. Clearly you haven't used the same program we've had so much great luck with. You're probably just another one of the many folks I've run into in this business who seem to think trashing a tool set and equipment they clearly haven't given a chance is some sort of right of passage and an essential part of being a "designer". I'm kind of tired of hearing it. I know plenty of folks who create stunning designs that will knock your socks off using CorelDRAW and on a PC.

graphicwarning

Funny, I have a Mac and my Corel works just fine! :cool:

I use illustrator when I have too... and I truly have nothing against it, but I prefer Corel many times over. I too wish there was a native Mac version, but in absence of that... it works just fine via VMWare in Unity view and I can't tell it's actually running on windows...