• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl on Glass? Will it fail?

FlyingCharlie

I've been told that applying cut vinyl on vehicle glass will fail. Yet I see it all over. What ar the facts?

Thanks, FlyingCharlie

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've been told that applying cut vinyl on vehicle glass will fail. Yet I see it all over. What ar the facts?

Thanks, FlyingCharlie

Not sure who would tell you something like that. Cut or printed and cut vinyl lettering and graphics on vehicle glass is a core use of the medium. As with any substrate, you want to be sure to clean it before application and be sure to use a grade of vinyl that is appropriate for the intended life of the lettering.

YCG-Rear.jpg

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Eventually all vinyl will fail - just as the sun will one day wink out - its just a matter of your perception of time.......

wayne k
guam usa

(Fred's answer is better but it is almost 11pm here but I am still stuck printing)

OldPaint

the only time you maight have a problem with VINYL ON GLASS...........is when you completely cover a store front and the sun can beat on it....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure who would tell you something like that. Cut or printed and cut vinyl lettering and graphics on vehicle glass is a core use of the medium. As with any substrate, you want to be sure to clean it before application and be sure to use a grade of vinyl that is appropriate for the intended life of the lettering.

YCG-Rear.jpg

Is that Perf Vinyl, Fred ??

Regular die cut vinyl or digitally printable vinyl on most glass will last for a long time, unless you have a wiper going through it, however, these types are illegal in almost all states on rear and side rear windows.

Perf Vinyl applied to a vehicle, generally does not last very long, regardless of where it is, unless it's kept indoors when not in use. There are exceptions, but even the manufacturers warn against durability.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Wow....is this a real question? Been putting cut vinyl on glass for 25 years. Never heard anything like this.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...however, these types are illegal in almost all states on rear and side rear windows...

Interesting, since in every state in which I've lived one doesn't even need a functioning rear window as long as there are a pair of side mirrors. As for side windows, as long as they're behind the front seat they seem to be fair game as well. If these were not the cases then one might think that vast fleets of vans with but a windshield and a pair of side windows would be illegal.

Maybe he was referring to a rear window with wipers on it. And if you use the wipers a lot it will fail. But im curious if he told you vinyl would fail on a window what is he suggesting you use?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
...however, these types are illegal in almost all states on rear and side rear windows.../QUOTE]

Interesting, since in every state in which I've lived one doesn't even need a functioning rear window as long as there are a pair of side mirrors. As for side windows, as long as they're behind the front seat they seem to be fair game as well. If these were not the cases then one might think that vast fleets of vans with but a windshield and a pair of side windows would be illegal.

Generally, if a vehicle is manufactured without a rear window, then no rear view mirror is necessary, either, but then there is no window to discuss. However, if it has a window, it's not to be blocked with anything such as curtains, decals, lettering and other graphics hampering the visibility both in & out. If you are backing out of a driveway or anything where you would need visibility in case of a small child or some other living things might be obstructed with whatever it is you have blocking your vision. In addition, an officer of the law has been blown away many times by people not seen as he/she approaches from the rear. This blocking the view has been the culprit many times.

While it might seem fair game or useless information, I'm not going to break the laws I know. If I can save one life, by not lettering something I know to be wrong, I can... as someone said in another thread, sleep at night.

Marlene

if you use cheap crappy vinyl ,it will fail no matter where it is installed. also if there is a wipper on the back that scrapes over the vinyl it can mess it up over time

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is that Perf Vinyl, Fred ??

Regular die cut vinyl or digitally printable vinyl on most glass will last for a long time, unless you have a wiper going through it, however, these types are illegal in almost all states on rear and side rear windows.

Perf Vinyl applied to a vehicle, generally does not last very long, regardless of where it is, unless it's kept indoors when not in use. There are exceptions, but even the manufacturers warn against durability.

I think the opposite is true regarding the legality of window graphics. Legal in most states and prohibited in a handful. In my experience, the rear window in my example allows plenty of see around visibility and is not a problem to the driver or the appointed safety bureaucracy.

It's all Gerber/3M 220 ScotchCal. Seven year plus durability except the Edge print with UV overprint, which is four to five years in this application (dark tinted glass and Florida sun). Perforated printed vinyl is OK as a last resort when one can't achieve the desired effect with more durable materials. But the fade happens so much more quickly that I avoid using it for fear to my reputation.

This is certainly how things work in Illinois. I've never heard of any obstruction of view laws that pertain to rear windows (given that the side view mirrors are intact), or rear side windows.

Chasez

I agree with most people in this thread. All vinyl will fail eventually, but if the surface is clean and installed properly it will last. I've never had issues with vinyl (cut or printed - opaque or perf) on glass in my 12 years in the business. The company I work for now specializes in glass graphic installs (storefronts, interior graphics, glass plaques, etc.) and as long as the surface is clean, it will last as long as the product will. With exterior store front, a very crucial thing is making sure the edges are clean, that is the biggest failure with exterior storefront.

Chaz

Desert_Signs

Generally, if a vehicle is manufactured without a rear window, then no rear view mirror is necessary, either, but then there is no window to discuss. However, if it has a window, it's not to be blocked with anything such as curtains, decals, lettering and other graphics hampering the visibility both in & out. If you are backing out of a driveway or anything where you would need visibility in case of a small child or some other living things might be obstructed with whatever it is you have blocking your vision. In addition, an officer of the law has been blown away many times by people not seen as he/she approaches from the rear. This blocking the view has been the culprit many times.

While it might seem fair game or useless information, I'm not going to break the laws I know. If I can save one life, by not lettering something I know to be wrong, I can... as someone said in another thread, sleep at night.

May be a PA thing. Here, you can completely black out all windows except the windshield and front driver/passenger glass.

fresh

We do a ton of taxi cabs, and probably 75% get cut vinyl on their minivan windows. The only problems we've ever had were due to excessive / harsh automatic car washes. The edges of the lettering can get chewed up, but its a very rare occurrence.

JMPrinting

Kids sports stickers, ect...use cal vinyl. No intended for long term. Everything else, use cast vinyl. I use the Rapid Prep to help eat of the rain x and any other debris and then clean with alcohol, apply dry.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...If I can save one life...

A depreciated version of the Slippery Slope fallacy. "If doing X will save just one life..." is a favorite of politicos selling some agenda or another. Almost as good as the insipid "It's for the children".

First, it very much depends on the nature of X and just whose life is being saved.

Second, any reasonable limits are discarded. "If by spending $1 we might save one life" vice "If by spending $1,000,000,000 we might save one life". The former is probably reasonable, the latter no so much. How much is merely increasing the probability that some life somewhere will be saved actually worth?

What are you willing to give up to alter the probability? Money? How much? Is there a limit? One of your rights? Which one? More importantly, at what point would you not be willing to contribute to changing the probability?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A depreciated version of the Slippery Slope fallacy. "If doing X will save just one life..." is a favorite of politicos selling some agenda or another. Almost as good as the insipid "It's for the children".

First, it very much depends on the nature of X and just whose life is being saved.

Second, any reasonable limits are discarded. "If by spending $1 we might save one life" vice "If by spending $1,000,000,000 we might save one life". The former is probably reasonable, the latter no so much. How much is merely increasing the probability that some life somewhere will be saved actually worth?

What are you willing to give up to alter the probability? Money? How much? Is there a limit? One of your rights? Which one? More importantly, at what point would you not be willing to contribute to changing the probability?

Yep...... I agree.

I don't see what I said, having anything to do with your formula, but I do agree with you. Carry on.