• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cut Vinyl on Glass? Will it fail?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pennsylvania DOT laws: No visibility requirement on rear side windows or rear windows.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z1ZImqPH-aDvg0g&bvm=bv.91071109,d.b2w&cad=rja

Pat, that has to do with tinted glass. How does that pertain to graphics, lettering or anything else ??

Granted, it's been a while since I was explained these laws, but I don't think they've changed that drastically.

Folks, y'all do what you want. After over 40 years in this business and talking to numerous people from State Police sergeants to local Police, official inspection stations and other sign people..... this is what has become the popular belief. Does everyone heed it ?? Not at all, but like I said, without sounding too political or old fashioned..... I don't want to be party to someone running over a little kid in the driveway they didn't see and some cocky lawyer bringing up old laws on the books to get to me. Am I being paranoid ?? Maybe, but like I said, I side on the side of helping a situation, rather than muddying it.

Have fun.

MikePro

plenty of vehicles out there with no rear windows whatsoever.
if you are operating a vehicle without proper vision for backing-up/normal operation, then you are solely to blame regardless of whatever products "some sign guy" may have put on your windows.

its like hopping into your car after a large snowfall and just assuming you're fine w/o scraping your windows. ...you can't blame it as an "act of god" when you blow through a red light, or hit somebody, because your driving while peering-out through the hole in the ice that your defogger managed to melt.
window tinting regulation, however, has everything to do with an officer's-ability to view into your car when approaching during a traffic stop/etc... not how it affects your vision as the driver.

oh, and back to the OP, welcome to signs101
don't believe everything you "hear". see for yourself, be a sign guy, and apply some vinyl

Pat Whatley

You know Google makes this stuff easy these days Gino, you should try it sometime! :Big Laugh If you want the short version it says do whatever you want as long as you have side mirrors.

[h=4][SIZE=+1]§ 175.263. [/SIZE]Sun screening location.[/h] (a) Windshields, side windows and side wings. A person may not operate, on a highway, a motor vehicle with a front windshield, front side window or side wing that has been equipped with a sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle. This subchapter does not prohibit the use of products or materials along the top edge of the windshield if the products or materials are transparent and do not encroach upon the AS-1 portion of the windshield as provided by FMVSS No. 205 and if the devices or materials are not more than 3 inches from the top of the windshield.

(b) Rear window. The rear window on a motor vehicle may be treated by the vehicle owner with a sun screening device or other material. If the rear window is treated with a sun screening device or other material, the vehicle shall comply with § 175.264 (relating to mirrors). See Table X for specific requirements for vehicles subject to this subchapter.

(c) Louvered materials. Louvered materials may not reduce the area of driver visibility below 50% as measured on a horizontal plane.

Cross References This section cited in 67 Pa. Code § 175.264 (relating to mirrors); and 67 Pa. Code § 175.265 (relating to exemption provisions).
[h=4][SIZE=+1]§ 175.264. [/SIZE]Mirrors.[/h] Right and left outside rearview mirrors shall be required with the use of a sun screening device or other material unless the sun screening device or other material is only used or applied above the AS-1 portion of the windshield as permitted in § 175.263(a) (relating to sun screening location). Each mirror shall have a minimum reflective surface of 19.5 square inches, except as otherwise provided in § § 175.148(b) and 175.177(b) (relating to mirrors). A vehicle for which a certificate of exemption has been issued for medical reasons may be equipped with only a left outside rearview mirror, unless originally equipped with an outside rearview mirror on both sides of the vehicle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know. I hafta agree with ya on that. Guess when I google it, it doesn't matter. Just what the rest of you wanna think or not search deep enough.

This comes from a state where some in this thread have already said, it's not a problem in their state. Too bad. Looks like it is..... and they don't know it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• window law.jpg
    window law.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 111