• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Decal needs to be 50' long

Stacey K

I like making signs
This might be the worst order yet. A decal that is 2" high x 50' long with a gradient from length to length. I have an HP315. Is there someone else that can do this on a roll instead or what might be the best way to do this. Will need to be laminated also. See below sample on a smaller machine. I have several smaller ones to do also that are 12' long. Do I dare print and laminate 12' at once?
7FW Machine Image.png

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I don't actually see why not. Roll laminator and cutter with paneling. 50 shouldn't be any problem.

But in reality I agree, makes more sense to tile.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Tile it as above, but if they want it in one string, calculate the cost based on 36"x50', and quote accordingly

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
If youre able to do 1 ft strips at 2 inches each strip, then in THEORY it's 52 inches. but that's butted right up against each other. so you may have to do 2 ft strips. then its 26 inches or so wide.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Sounds fun to install.
If youre able to do 1 ft strips at 2 inches each strip, then in THEORY it's 52 inches. but that's butted right up against each other. so you may have to do 2 ft strips. then its 26 inches or so wide.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Easy if you take your time doing a template. Stripes like these are multi piece and broke at panel.
I was originally thinking broken at the panels, but then I was thinking about how much material you waste in the printer even at 2ft strips. (that struggle between printers and installers)

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Thanks everyone! I just spoke with her and she's going to have the guys measure the natural breaks. She agreed it would be easier to apply also if it were broken into smaller pieces.

Why I didn't think of that is beyond me :roflmao:
When you get in the middle of something, sometimes it's hard to see. Looks like we all jumped at helping solve it. lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or........ sometimes you're just thinking about onions and eggplant. That time of year, ya know.

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Way back in the day (like 12+ years ago) I had a client who refurbished directional digging machines and wanted rolls of the striping for them. I wound up using the folks at sharpline.com as my outsource partner and they did a fantastic job. Next time when you get something like this, look for a convertor like them and see if that's not a better way to go.

damonCA21

Definitely tile and make to fit the natural breaks. Trying to fit a 50' long stripe in one piece would be next to impossible without messing it up a lot - particularly if they are fitting them themselves