• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Deciding to go my own way. Logo critique.

iSign

What did you think of the logo? I guess it doesn't matter now as the business name is going to be changed.
exactly the f'n point... why waste time drawing up logo variations for a guy that

A: doesn't even have a business yet,
B: is barely focused on his goals enough to narrow them down to Corporate VS. Grunge
C: is going to admit his name may change within an hour of asking us to draw up logo suggestions for the old name

Last edited:

signmeup

oh yeah... happy thanksgiving!!
(& be sure to get your fiber :smile:)
Thanksgiving was on October 12th up here but thanks for the belated best wishes.
If you cook the turkey long enough you should have a very high source of fibre. What is the traditional Hawaiian thanksgiving meal?

Last edited:

iSign

now that it's America (for 50 yrs) there is quite a bit of traditional turkey, stuffing, mash potato's & gravy happening around here...

...but the Hawaiians are no stranger to feasting, so traditional luau fare is also popular over the holidays. The tradition, when followed, would have mostly pork, slow cooked in an "imu" which is a pit in the ground, with coals from a bonfire built before sunrise, & the meat would be wrapped in tea leave bundles (primitive tin foil) & layered with coals & more tea leaves & then covered with dirt from the pit for several hours. Another traditional item in the imu would be laulau, which can be any of a variety of fillings (some pork laulau, some fish, even some vegetarian laulau) wrapped in taro leaves (which is edible, and comes out similar to steamed spinach) & then wrapped in the non-edible Tea leaves to hold in steam, & prevent contact with coals or dirt.

Dan,

I'm afraid I'm out of beer and I'm not wearing any panties. :wink:

I actually agree with not getting religion mixed up into business. I still don't see why some people got so worked up over this OP's request for a logo critique. What did you think of the logo? I guess it doesn't matter now as the business name is going to be changed.

well...if you would have read my initial post you would have seen what i thought of the 'logo'...

and last but not least i am not a fan of the logo. as stated it looks like you took quickystickysignsnow logo and changed it to yours..with font and color change. it shows very little thought or creativity to me. to be honest it frustrates me that people who are preparing to start a business put so little effort into things like this.

as well as the excercise of how i recommend people go about coming up with name ideas for a business...

and Mr. Deaton i truly tried to be constructive and offered up the reasons for my opinion(s) ...additionally i described an excercise that i regularly use with new business owners when trying to name a new venture which has been a very effective tool for stimulating the creative process to come up with a business name that meets the goals of the owner..

in my opinion if you are at the point of developing a logo for a new venture you should be satisfied with what you are going to name said business..or else we could just arbitrarily create 'logos' and simply insert the business name when he is committed because as he stated he is not "stuck on the name" and is open to suggestions'.

i'm told i'm getting in a few good licks by one member and then signmeup says he's followed the whole thread....and i have to wonder if anyone even read my post...

Jillbeans

OK, so we have determined that "Emerge" is taken.
What you posted initially, asking for advice, is rather cookie cutterish and non dynamic.
I especially dislike the italicised "SIGNS" it seems like it's trying to convey motion or energy but is falling flat.

Will you be a wholesaler? Does that have to be part of the name?

Why can't you just use your surname "______ Media" or "_____ Creative"
And make the Media part or Creative part the focus?
______ Media Group sounds odd unless you are actually a group of people.
Love....Jill

SignsNowOH

Thanks again everyone for the advice, whether it be helpful or hurtful, I have listened to everyone. Like I posted earlier. I'm not going for an all out CHRISTIAN theme here. So let's just drop that option there. I understand everyone has their beliefs and that's what might have sparked some of the controversy and I appologize. I'm very focused on what I'm trying to achieve, which is a successful business, and I understand that there is going to be a lot of dedication needed by me in order to achieve that. But I am willing to do what it takes. I've learned from other peoples mistakes and know what is needed to happen in order to be successful.

Yes, the initial topic of the thread was critiquing my logo but after hearing advice from other professionals, I decided maybe Emerge Signs isn't the right way to go. I am already doing work for companies that I have established relationships with, and am currently just doing things in my name for right now until I can come up with an official name. Which I'm hoping to have before Monday so I can start putting together my designs and marketing materials to have in place to really start marketing this company.

I also would like to apologize for not being descriptive about what I was about and looking for. I hope this helps some. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mosh

Sorry, I was not trying to bash, I was just a little drunk. Just telling you how it is man.

SignsNowOH

I understand. But I am unlike alot of those you see start up out of their garages thinking they can get rich by undercutting everyone. My pricing is very competitive with everyone else and I am a very talented designer when it comes to other people's work. I know that I can make this work it's just coming up with that image that is going to make people pick up the phone and call me.

Dan Antonelli

If you want to push full service graphic design, be careful about having a name focused too heavily on signs. Not that many sign people can't do graphic design - its more the perception that the average business owner has about a sign maker. It's not an instinctive place to go to get assistance with marketing - whether its web desig, or graphic design.

As soon as I stopped marketing ourselves as a sign company, it was almost like night and day in terms of people's perception of what we could provide.

Just something to keep in mind based on your stated intended direction.

Regarding the logo, I personally think a grunge approach is inappropriate for your target audience.

After your naming is done, the come back and revisit the logo.

And thank you for the shout out ealier in your thread....

SignsNowOH

Thank you Dan for the information. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the new things that come out of your office. They serve as great inspiration of what's fresh in design and how to achieve a good balance between design and the message the customer is trying to portray. I am going to be going with the more corporate theme in my design and hope it will show the customer that I am more than just a sign shop, I am their source for everything creative.

iSign

arccreativemedia.com is available! Just $10.69

R creative? ...oh, Ark? c or k? oh... C? is that one c... or 2?..

Mosh

ok, after 8 or 6 beers I drew you up a new log-o.

50halftone.jpg