• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drilling Stone

AKProbeGT

I'm trying to replace a letter that disappeared from this church's sign. The sign is very old and no one had any information where it came from originally so I ordered a custom flat cut aluminum letter to match as well as possible. I'm trying to drill the stone and not having any luck. I've never drilled this surface. I was trying with my cordless hammer drill and a variety of bits(normal, titanium, glass, masonry). I can't get more than 3/8" deep. I'd like to get at least an inch. Any recommendations on what to try? The only thing I can think of is to go back with my corded hammer drill, just trying to avoid it since there is no power close by and my power inverter for my truck isn't hardwired. I have to hook it up at my battery. A picture of the stone is attached.

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 105

AKProbeGT

Thats what I was afraid of. I always forget how much better it is. Maybe I can get my inverter hardwired in my truck tonight.

BrianKE

Get yourself a cheap little gas powered generator. I got one and makes it a lot easier than wondering if the cordless drill will do the job.

MikePro

you can rent cordless hammer drills from Home Depot for like $30.
get it at the end of the day, keep it all night to return first thing in the a.m., and you'll get the maximum time for the 1-2hr you're paying for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But you could buy a small generator for that and have quite a bit more flexibility on any job in the future.... like a saw, heat gun, drill, or any other power tool, including lights, a radio or whatever.

phototec

But you could buy a small generator for that and have quite a bit more flexibility on any job in the future.... like a saw, heat gun, drill, or any other power tool, including lights, a radio or whatever.

Yep, get a small generator and you can use it on any location install.

Here a coupon for a really GREAT deal from Harbor Freight, save $90, half off.

And use the corded hammer drill, it will drill into that stone with ease!

:thumb:

Attachments

• Generator coupon copy.jpg
    Generator coupon copy.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 90

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's what we recently got to replace our old one.... also from Harbor Freight. This works like a champ. We also have an on-board unit on the rear deck of our bucket truck. That one is much higher HP.
generator.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Correct.

I don't remember posting the price, but it was around $385.00 in the store and well worth it. The cordless drills mentioned earlier were over $400 for the little ones and around $700 for the larger ones, so I suggested a generator for less and you can plug several tools in it at once and have several people working from it.

Mainframe

You need a rotary hammer drill, get one called the bulldog extreme, You will drill through anything stone or brick, anything else is a waste of good drill bits, don't ask how I know this.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
There's zero reason a quality cordless hammer drill with a quality masonry bit won't drill through that stone with ease. If it won't drill a 3/16" hole more than 3/8" deep, then either the drill is a cheapie, the bit is a cheapie, or both.

Baz

Good bits make a world of difference!!! I like the Dewalt bits or other "black metal" bits. None of that white metal cheap azz crap. I destroy those bits in less than a minute with my old Walter/Metabo hammer drill.

Joe Crumley

A good hammer drill is a must for anyone who intends to stay in the business. Twenty years ago I purchased a Bosch and it's a dream.

Naw, No, Never on the generator idea. You need an Inverter from Harbor Freight. There small and will power any drill or saw you'll be using. I made this move a couple of years ago which keeps me from the worry about gas, or loading up more equipment. Not to mention if you don't use one often the gas will go bad in the tank

HF Inverters sell for less than $100 on sale. What a dream piece of equipment

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

AKProbeGT

I have a good hammer drill. I just tried to use my cordless hammer drill since it was only 3 studs. I'll tackle this again tomorrow with my inverter.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I have a good hammer drill. I just tried to use my cordless hammer drill since it was only 3 studs. I'll tackle this again tomorrow with my inverter.

What hammer drill are you using and what bit are you using? Again - there's zero reason to need a corded tool for three 3/16" holes.