• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Drilling Stone

Mainframe

I will say it again, buy a Bosch Bulldog extreme, you will drill through those rocks so fast you will be looking around for more things to drill.

like 250 bucks? probably made in china like most keyboards

It is a rotary hammer drill -ROTARY- key word

Moze

Precision Sign Services
He owns a hammer drill and rarely does this type of work. Why spend $180 (Amazon) when he can just buy a good quality bit?

Plus, if he were to buy a corded rotary hammer, the DeWalt has better specs and is $10 less. :)

John Butto

Spitting out Pepsi, what do you do when you really get excited. If you read the post right, see I knew you were sleeping, it explained why China is not a free market country. You see China, unions and you get a knee jerk reaction. And what about someone who did fight for your freedom and did not die. Or about the guy who got drafted in the 60's and just fought to stay alive so they could argue with your sorry ***. Stalin ran a totalitarian government where everyone was suppose to get the same and he belong to the communist party union. So go and pick at your pimples you got from drinking the soda and don't talk when adults are around.

Z SIGNS

Travis,
If you plan on making and installing signs as a career you are going to have to buy the right tools.Go buy the right drill and bits etc.You won't regret it

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I don't think Travis was the one looking for advice. Thread has taken a couple of left turns lol...

Mainframe

He owns a hammer drill and rarely does this type of work. Why spend $180 (Amazon) when he can just buy a good quality bit?

Plus, if he were to buy a corded rotary hammer, the DeWalt has better specs and is $10 less. :)

Moze-my advice to the original poster was a professional gift. I speak from experience when it comes to drilling rocks and concrete. This forum is for the sign professionals, I assume the OP is a professional or is working toward being one. There are a few different Bull Dogs made so not sure about the spec comparison with a Dewalt, but, if you can get advice from a sign professional about an installation tool that he currently uses and likes, seems to me it would be worth the 10 bucks he would save. My posts are not just for the OP, they are meant to help the new(er) sign person who may be reading just for curiosity and may run into the same problem later.

I personally have seen instances where the hammer drill won't drill a wall or block due to it's apparent hardness. It just keeps cooking bits, once you run through all the bits on the job you have brought with you, you now have to stop and run for more, if the closest place is the place you just bought bits from then you need to go even farther away. IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.
Now that the OP has seen how the wrong tool is failing, he needs to decide if he will get the right tool or just keep cooking bits and throwing the money that way. I was simply trying to steer the new guy toward professionalism. I used my Bulldog yesterday to punch a dozen holes in the nastiest white brick they make, The Bulldog made it child's play, has a detachable drill stop, and a nice metal hook for the bucket to hang it up while your not using it, comes in handy 35 feet high.

Why buy a corded rotary hammer drill? Because one of the sign professionals chimed in on the post who knows how to get the job done, said that is what you will need to finish the jobs like this.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Moze-my advice to the original poster was a professional gift. I speak from experience when it comes to drilling rocks and concrete. This forum is for the sign professionals, I assume the OP is a professional or is working toward being one. There are a few different Bull Dogs made so not sure about the spec comparison with a Dewalt, but, if you can get advice from a sign professional about an installation tool that he currently uses and likes, seems to me it would be worth the 10 bucks he would save. My posts are not just for the OP, they are meant to help the new(er) sign person who may be reading just for curiosity and may run into the same problem later.

I personally have seen instances where the hammer drill won't drill a wall or block due to it's apparent hardness. It just keeps cooking bits, once you run through all the bits on the job you have brought with you, you now have to stop and run for more, if the closest place is the place you just bought bits from then you need to go even farther away. IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.
Now that the OP has seen how the wrong tool is failing, he needs to decide if he will get the right tool or just keep cooking bits and throwing the money that way. I was simply trying to steer the new guy toward professionalism. I used my Bulldog yesterday to punch a dozen holes in the nastiest white brick they make, The Bulldog made it child's play, has a detachable drill stop, and a nice metal hook for the bucket to hang it up while your not using it, comes in handy 35 feet high.

Why buy a corded rotary hammer drill? Because one of the sign professionals chimed in on the post who knows how to get the job done, said that is what you will need to finish the jobs like this.

But if he rarely does this kind of work, which I'm assuming is the case based on...

First off I currently work at a small franchise sign shop. Technically my job is graphic designer but there is only 2-3 employees including my boss so needless to say I fill a lot of roles. I've been there over 2.5 years and over the past year I've become very unhappy with the way the company is run. My boss doesnt care to grow the company which leaves makes for little in the way of future opportunities.

That being said I'm seriously considering starting my own company, focusing on vehicle wraps. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but one thing I'm unsure of is the area of plotters. I feel I a plotter for 15" punched vinyl will suffice but dont know which to buy. I currently use a Gerber Envision and its a great machine but I'd like to know if there are cheaper options out there. I'm willing to pay for a quality machine but would like to keep my startup cost low. My other concern along the same lines is the software needed. I currently use Composer at work but again its quite expensive. I'd really like to stick to all Apple computer. It seems that the MagiSign Plugin for Illustrator will solve that problem but I wouldnt mind hearing other's opinions.

thanks

...then there isn't a real need to go spend upwards of $200 on a drill he'll rarely use. He said he has a cordless and corded hammer drill. If he can't drill those few holes then he's using junk bits.

My point is that the guy works as a graphic designer and might branch out into doing wraps on his own. How he wound up installing this letter, I'm not sure. But I do know he mentioned using "normal, titanium, and glass" bits on stone which tells me (no offence OP) that he doesn't know what bits to choose which in turn leads me to believe he probably bought junk masonry bits. Part of the "right tool for the job" is buying the right bits.

skyhigh

What is wrong with buying from China. Other countries buy from us, we buy from them, that is called a free market.

In China, its a "free" market. In the USA, we are looking for a "fair" market.
http://economyincrisis.org/content/senators-introduce-china-fair-trade-act
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/s3449

With almost a 5x trade deficit, you don't see a problem with your statement?
:iamwithstupid

Being that we have covered Hammer Drills, Rotary Hammer's, the correct bit for the job, even elaborated on generators to run these tools (whew).......I believe this thread has run its course, and the OP has gotten more than enough feedback on the subject.......

That being said.....
weeeeeeee, being a part of getting a thread locked down is fun.

skyhigh

Do you only buy american made products if there is an option, regardless of cost?

Absolutely!!!!!
Do you enjoy making more money, than the average worker in China?

Do you get your oil changed from the garage that DOESN'T use you for their sign work, or do you pay a little extra at your customers place? Same analogy, smaller scale.

I'm pulling your weight pal. Buy American!!!!

EDIT: I got thrown a curve ball from a Canadian. LOL
Thats ok.......you guys can buy American too.

rdmdarr

This is what we have and it kicks the crap out of all the others we have used:

HITACHI DH38YE Rotary Hammer Drill

One of the best damn tools we own.

Bly

Signage. Do they even make star drills in 3/16"?

Showing your age there buddy. As am I for recognising it I guess.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah...17 pounds is a bit much lol

My cordless is around 6 pounds and drills 1/2" holes with ease. I love that little thing.