• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate and Accounting Software

gnubler

I use a stack of papers on my desk to manage work flow. Whatever is on the top gets done, anything under it is for another day. If the stack gets too tall, it gets moved to the table where my wife finds it and yells at me.
That sounds like me (minus the wife). I actually have two stacks, one is DO IT TODAY and the other one is for stuff I don't care about as much.
I had a RFQ in my don't care pile for over 2 months and the customer came by recently asking about a quote again. :D

greysquirrel

Take a look at Onyx Align. Super easy to implement. If you are using Onyx as a Rip, it will integrate with it for file submission and true cost of production.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Take a look at Onyx Align. Super easy to implement. If you are using Onyx as a Rip, it will integrate with it for file submission and true cost of production.

I got a demo the other day, pretty damn impressive! Love that you can attach production files and push right to Onyx queue.

Too much money for our shop though, but could see this option being great for a larger shop running onyx thrive etc. ($3k USD set up then $6k-ish USD per year...if I remember correctly)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Take a look at Onyx Align.
I've looked at the web page for Align. I'm wondering if the software accommodates other sign shop processes other than ripped print work? Also, what host server does it use, yours or theirs?

I’d like to hear from anyone who knows.

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I've looked at the web page for Align. I'm wondering if the software accommodates other sign shop processes other than ripped print work? Also, what host server does it use, yours or theirs?

From what I saw in the demo, it would theoretically accommodate other (Non-Onyx related) processes, you just wouldn't have the option to push production files to the RIP. (Neat feature, but basically forces you to store your production files in the cloud, which I don't like) You can customize all your processes or steps that jobs flow through. I don't believe they had push notifications yet but they said they might implement it in the future.

I believe all the attached/linked files are then stored on their server, with a maximum before they charge you more of course.

I always ask those questions when evaluating software....where are files hosted, how easy is it to recover data if/when we no longer want to pay large monthly fees....etc.

One of the many reasons I've yet to commit to an out-of-box solution to run our whole business through.

If I'm going to drop 3k for setup/training and 6k a year I'd sooner get a developer to design something custom for us.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
From what I saw in the demo
Thanks for the reply.

Certain industry software companies have been hounded by many, many shop owners and managers beginning over 20 years ago to offer data-supported workflow solutions. At this point in time however, those shops already have their own solutions in place by now. Granted, some companies were busy developing RIPs or hardware, but lately some seem to have found a way to deliver other products.

I just searched Google for EstiMate (and also Onyx Align) sign shop software to show images. I'm familiar enough to fully recognize the estimate / quote structure and, in some cases, what platform the solutions have used. Some platforms are extinct. Some appear to have been created directly from FileMaker templates. Those EstiMate widgets, though. Smart stuff!

I'd sooner get a developer to design something custom for us.
If you can figure out how one signs up to Paul's Merchant Member status, maybe I could go buy a new hat.

greysquirrel

You can accommodate for everything your print shop produces and sells. It's web based hosted on Onyx server. You can access from any device in your shop.

greysquirrel

From what I saw in the demo, it would theoretically accommodate other (Non-Onyx related) processes, you just wouldn't have the option to push production files to the RIP. (Neat feature, but basically forces you to store your production files in the cloud, which I don't like) You can customize all your processes or steps that jobs flow through. I don't believe they had push notifications yet but they said they might implement it in the future.

I believe all the attached/linked files are then stored on their server, with a maximum before they charge you more of course.

I always ask those questions when evaluating software....where are files hosted, how easy is it to recover data if/when we no longer want to pay large monthly fees....etc.

One of the many reasons I've yet to commit to an out-of-box solution to run our whole business through.

If I'm going to drop 3k for setup/training and 6k a year I'd sooner get a developer to design something custom for us.
Part of the install is Onyx HUB which will give you accuracy of ink cost per job on every device running through Onyx Rip. You can pay someone to develop an in-house program but if you have an Onyx workflow, it would not be able to interact with your rip for that data. Also, you do realize that the monthly fees pays for the development of the program and its growth along with its ability to work with Windows as it changes versions. Those fees also allows you to request changes to the program as your business grows.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Part of the install is Onyx HUB which will give you accuracy of ink cost per job on every device running through Onyx Rip. You can pay someone to develop an in-house program but if you have an Onyx workflow, it would not be able to interact with your rip for that data. Also, you do realize that the monthly fees pays for the development of the program and its growth along with its ability to work with Windows as it changes versions. Those fees also allows you to request changes to the program as your business grows.
Yes, good points. I do see the value in their offering but like all onyx products it comes at a premium. For our current size & volume it's just more than we're willing to spend.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
You can accommodate for everything your print shop produces and sells.
It seems you are likely are user with the app at your fingertips? I'm looking at a graphic of the Align estimate page layout. Can you describe what is displayed to a user immediately after they were to press the "New estimate" button? Does a popup list appear or ???

TboneMiller

I have used Estimate 2.0 desk top for years, never got into the subscription services, just don't seem to be worth it. Estimate has been great, it give you nice platform to work from, yet there is much room for needed improvements. Unfortunately, I do believe that Estimate has now closed their doors and is no longer in business. Which sucks, cause now I'm stuck with a version I can never upgrade and/or move to another computer, as they(Estimate) always handled the main ID changes that were needed. They didn't even bother to send out notices they were closing to the customers that have been with them for years... I'm wondering about the customers that were on their subscription service, have they lost everything? Has anyone herd why they have closed?

WildWestDesigns

I'm wondering about the customers that were on their subscription service, have they lost everything? Has anyone herd why they have closed?
This is a major concern that I have (among many others, most on here are probably sick of my expounding of those on a semi regular basis however) with subscription software in general and even software that has been around for decades and known beyond a niche market could have that happen to them.

As to estimating software. I would hope that most would know the numbers that they may need to survive, so that isn't some secret sauce. Most estimation software is either directly a spreadsheet under the hood just with a nice GUI or a spreadsheet could easily replicate the functionality of what is needed for estimating jobs. My suggest would be to use one's favorite spreadsheet program of choice and create one (if one knows the "secret sauce" mentioned above). Most software allow for a semi decent front end if don't want to have to see all those blank cells. I would save it as a template, that way when one goes to open it, it opens up as "untitledxx.[whateverExtension]" instead of worrying about accidentally saving over the "template" by having it as a regular file. Could also script it and have it output to a file when everything is done, but I would speculate that doing the spreadsheet would be a more familiar method. This way there is less worry about if something happens to somebody else or they change something that affects one's workflow.

Accounting software, not quite as easy in most situations, so the easy suggestion there would be to go with whatever interfaces nicely with what your accountant uses.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
This is a major concern that I have (among many others, most on here are probably sick of my expounding of those on a semi regular basis however) with subscription software in general and even software that has been around for decades and known beyond a niche market could have that happen to them.
Fortunately for Claris FileMaker users, options are to purchase perpetual licenses which last so long as the client OS (and /or server OS) allows, or pay-as-you-go monthly or yearly which includes ongoing upgrades and for the app and OS. Options also include either hosting the app on premise or the cloud, your choice.

Most estimation software is either directly a spreadsheet under the hood just with a nice GUI or a spreadsheet could easily replicate the functionality of what is needed for estimating jobs. My suggest would be to use one's favorite spreadsheet program of choice and create one (if one knows the "secret sauce" mentioned above).
In far less time than attempting to replicate an estimating app using spreadsheets, one could create a genuine and efficient database using the appropriate tool such as FileMaker. FileMaker has legs, spreadsheets not so much.

Most software allow for a semi decent front end if don't want to have to see all those blank cells. I would save it as a template, that way when one goes to open it, it opens up as "untitledxx.[whateverExtension]" instead of worrying about accidentally saving over the "template" by having it as a regular file. Could also script it and have it output to a file when everything is done, but I would speculate that doing the spreadsheet would be a more familiar method. This way there is less worry about if something happens to somebody else or they change something that affects one's workflow.
This linked video at YouTube is helpful...

Database Tutorial - What are databases?

Accounting software, not quite as easy in most situations, so the easy suggestion there would be to go with whatever interfaces nicely with what your accountant uses
Most any estimating database accommodates the major bookkeeping solutions in some way or another.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I just started using File Maker and bought a straight out license. It is taking a bit or a learning curve, but it looks like I can make exactly what I want. Estimate software was built on File Maker from what I can tell..

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I just started using File Maker and bought a straight out license. It is taking a bit or a learning curve, but it looks like I can make exactly what I want.
Be sure to enable "Use advanced tools" in Settings and restart FM afterward if you haven't already done so. The advanced mode accesses more development tools, especially script debugging and a data viewer to test and preview formula results, etc.

Estimate software was built on File Maker from what I can tell..
Very possible.

If you have questions, just ask.

EDITED TO ADD: What works for me so far as a helpful understanding of a layout tool is FM's Grid options found at the bottom of the Position pane. I'm always aware of the overall (common 4:3, 8:5,16:9, etc.) aspect ratio of the entire layout and set the Grid to use even numbers, usually beginning with a Major Grid Setting of 16pts with a Minor Grid Setting of almost always 1, while using Snap to Grid. For finer alignment, I temporarily reduce the 16pts by half, and so on for even finer positioning. In the case of EstiMate, it appears it may have used a 24pt grid.

Last edited: