• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Estimate and Accounting Software

CanuckSigns

Be sure to enable "Use advanced tools" in Settings and restart FM afterward if you haven't already done so. The advanced mode accesses more development tools, especially script debugging and a data viewer to test and preview formula results, etc.

Very possible.

If you questions, just ask.

EDITED TO ADD: What works for me so far as a helpful understanding of a layout tool is FM's Grid options found at the bottom of the Position pane. I'm always aware of the overall (common 4:3, 8:5,16:9, etc.) aspect ratio of the entire layout and set the Grid to use even numbers, usually beginning with a Major Grid Setting of 16pts with a Minor Grid Setting of almost always 1, while using Snap to Grid. For finer alignment, I temporarily reduce the 16pts by half, and so on for even finer positioning. In the case of EstiMate, it appears it may have used a 24pt grid.
Is it possible to build an app with filemaker then deploy it as a standalone "program" where the user does not need filemaker installed?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Is it possible to build an app with filemaker then deploy it as a standalone "program" where the user does not need filemaker installed?
Practically nowadays, no. That would be a Runtime app and that option was removed about two years ago if I recall and a vary large part of the reason is because of modern security. It was a standalone data app with an .app extension. Especially institutions and stakeholders worry about such things lately.

I believe the closest thing right now is to run the free FileMakerGo app on an iOS device from close by, say within the shop, which connects to the host machine whether it's a desktop, or alternatively, a dedicated machine running only FM Server. I think FM Server software is free if you run the 5-user minimum pkg.

Because of CSV and Excel file types especially, there has always been an export / import routine to get data in, and out, of FM. Also nowadays, what I call "work-a-day" apps online such as SmartSuite, Monday, Airtable, etc., FM is sending and receiving more data than ever.

EDITED TO ADD: Go to settings and enable peer-to-peer sharing for connection from iPads that are close by.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

Fortunately for Claris FileMaker users, options are to purchase perpetual licenses which last so long as the client OS (and /or server OS) allows, or pay-as-you-go monthly or yearly which includes ongoing upgrades and for the app and OS. Options also include either hosting the app on premise or the cloud, your choice.

Still dependent on a 3rd party. Choose a nice cross platform spreadsheet format, easily transfer that from one spreadsheet program to the next (or even to a different OS, providing make sure font and/or formatting transfers, which shouldn't be that much of an issue, but there are outliers.
In far less time than attempting to replicate an estimating app using spreadsheets, one could create a genuine and efficient database using the appropriate tool such as FileMaker. FileMaker has legs, spreadsheets not so much.

Well, if we are going to add something like SQLite like to the mix. A little bit of python (I try to avoid it as much as one can, I like my compiled languages, but it is one of the easier ways to get into this) and easily have something running with SQLite. If on Windows (I use Arch by the way, despite the meme, I cannot not say that), TKinter comes with the Windows version of python and that is supper easy to work with, if wanting to get that complicated. Now, yes, it will take a bit longer with adding something along these lines, but personally, the older that I get, I hate being anymore than I have to be subject to someone else even with regard to the world of open source. After done with all of that, use Pyinstaller and create a binary to take it to another computer that doesn't have python installed and run it. Python does have a speed problem, but in most instances, it's fast enough, and with the ability to quickly prototype and get something going, that's enough for most people.

Personally, I prefer to do things in C/C++, but Python is going to be more realistic for most people, getting up and running quicker and not have to worry about dealing with the extra dependency of SQLite as well.

Most any estimating database accommodates the major bookkeeping solutions in some way or another.
If that is needing from an estimating software, can easily handle that using CSV files (what I use for my wife's accounting software), however, be aware that depending on the accounting software, some have very specific formatting needs for the CSV files that one imports. I believe Quickbooks is one of them.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Still dependent on a 3rd party.
If only we could all live off the grid.
Python is going to be more realistic for most people,
Most people here at Signs101?

getting up and running quicker and not have to worry about dealing with the extra dependency of SQLite as well.
Wild,
See that attached for field definitions of an estimate form, especially similar to the OP's brand in question. On my Mac, I can copy the text from the graphic in this web forum post to paste it into an open text document as a guide to create a working estimate database using FileMaker. I can also just open the original spreadsheet of the field names where FM will automatically create fields using those names (center column). The suffix on the end tell of the field names show me at a glance what type of field to be sure to create; text, number, date, or calculation un-stored number. Only a single related table is required for the estimate's line items. The relationship is named; activity_LINE and connects via a match key to the primary ID field of the estimate table, known as one-to-many. ESTIMATE - - - - - < Many Line Items

From that point I created a form layout of 1024x768 points using a 24pt grid for interface objects to snap to for alignment. I then grabbed all the fields from the left side panel of the FM layout mode window and arranged them into position with any appropriate option such as a pulldown menus, etc. I also placed two tab panels and a portal to hold virtually unlimited related line items.

9 buttons were also created and named accordingly although the "Save Job" is unnecessary in FM and "Add Item" and "Edit Item" are not absolutely necessary either.
I did not make any other buttons functional other than the Print and the Delete buttons. After color was added along with a 24pt square blue line PNG was patterned to the background, I was finished in less time than it took me to write this post. Truly.
grabFields.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: Running on the phone...
PhoenixOnThePhone.jpg

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

If only we could all live off the grid.
Not off the grid here. I just more selective on what I am dependent on versus what I am not and it has served me well. However, the libs that I do use, even if the person(s) stop working on them, they would still work as I could still compile them and get them to work.

Most people here at Signs101?

Well, last time I checked, if running a Mac, already have Python installed (now also last time I checked it was Python 2).

If one knows how to do searches, very easy to find what one is wanting to do. Of course, there is always AI (I think one person on here has used it to help start off the python scripts that they were wanting to do, I personally wouldn't, but there is that option as well, I wouldn't be surprised that there are others that are able to do this as well).

While Python isn't low/no code platform, it at worst sits on a level right above it.
Wild,
See that attached for field definitions of an estimate form, especially similar to the OP's brand in question. On my Mac, I can copy the text from the graphic in this web forum post to paste it into an open text document as a guide to create a working estimate database using FileMaker. I can also just open the original spreadsheet of the field names where FM will automatically create fields using those names (center column). The suffix on the end tell of the field names show me at a glance what type of field to be sure to create; text, number, date, or calculation un-stored number. Only a single related table is required for the estimate's line items. The relationship is named; activity_LINE and connects via a match key to the primary ID field of the estimate table, known as one-to-many. ESTIMATE - - - - - < Many Line Items

From that point I created a form layout of 1024x768 points using a 24pt grid for interface objects to snap to for alignment. I then grabbed all the fields from the left side panel of the FM layout mode window and arranged them into position with any appropriate option such as a pulldown menus, etc. I also placed two tab panels and a portal to hold virtually unlimited related line items.

9 buttons were also created and named accordingly although the "Save Job" is unnecessary in FM and "Add Item" and "Edit Item" are not absolutely necessary either.
I did not make any other buttons functional other than the Print and the Delete buttons. After color was added along with a 24pt square blue line PNG was patterned to the background, I was finished in less time than it took me to write this post. Truly.
View attachment 166557

EDITED TO ADD: Running on the phone...
View attachment 166558
There are also gui drag and drop solutions for python as well. Shoot, even C++ has that as well. Lot of options out there. Now, if the person isn't willing/able/whatever reason here, that's something else. But I think some people think it's not possible, because they aren't aware of the options. But I could be wrong.

ikarasu

Most people on here don't know how to setup a Nas / network / google how to build a PC / etc, dozens of easier things than to make a semi-complex program, even in python....

Programming comes easy for some people, and if you know C python seems like cake... but to the "average" person, making the basic rockk paper scissors game would be impossible.

The rule I always see on here is don't waste your time trying to do everything or doing something when you could be out hitting the streets getting sales and making more money than you'd save.... This is the same!

There's quite a few softwares out there that work "good enough" and for those that need something more customized, you're better off hiring someone to custom building for you than spend months googling and trying to hobble a functional program together with bits of pieces of code you find on Google :roflmao:

Jean Shimp

I've been using EstiMate since the beginning of time. It connects with QuickBooks and is very easy to use. I never did the subscription, still have the CD. It is great for creating and emailing simple quotes, storing substrate and materials costs, creating packing lists, writing terms for payment, etc. We also use Excel for more complicated quotes, but I still like EstiMate. Not sure what I will do without it.

greysquirrel

It seems you are likely are user with the app at your fingertips? I'm looking at a graphic of the Align estimate page layout. Can you describe what is displayed to a user immediately after they were to press the "New estimate" button? Does a popup list appear or ???
you need to select your customer after new estimate and then select a product

ONYXtechtips

I've looked at the web page for Align. I'm wondering if the software accommodates other sign shop processes other than ripped print work? Also, what host server does it use, yours or theirs?

I’d like to hear from anyone who knows.
ONYX Align can accommodate most any finishing item measured in sqft, linear, or each. It will also do spacing like grommets which would be each every 12, 24, or 36 inches. As for hosting, the system resides in the cloud, but you do have the option to save files to local storage if you prefer. This is very valuable when dealing with larger files for wall graphics or semi wraps

ONYXtechtips

It seems you are likely are user with the app at your fingertips? I'm looking at a graphic of the Align estimate page layout. Can you describe what is displayed to a user immediately after they were to press the "New estimate" button? Does a popup list appear or ???
1696519979155.png
1696519917646.png

jmueller21

I used Estimate for a while. Switched to ShopVox and Love it. Also is compatible with Quickbooks, will transfer all of your invoices over into quickbooks. Takes a little bit to
get it all set up but then it is very easy to use after.