• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

First Post

JoshLoring

So, I wanted to try something new with these fabulous new fonts I purchased.
This is just a little project that won't be used for anything much. I'd like to get some traditional sign maker critique because to be honest... I have never done one like this before. ;)

Attachments

• studioswraps.com.png
    studioswraps.com.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 158

gnatt66

what's the font used in "studio"? i wanna see all the characters..ill bet the numbers are dead sexy...:wine-smi:

DGDesigns

I've been playing with that font for years. That's a tough font to work with because the legibility is difficult, but your choice of colors really makes it pop. Nice effect with the wood grain in grey and not too loud. Now I am being picky here knowing you did a real nice job, but see if the domain is more distinct by using a little space between the "o" and "w". The sound of the letter "o" finishes with the sound of the letter "w". On my first look it was reading "studiow raps". Again, it's nit-picking.

DGDesigns

My guess is he's using the font Conclave from Letterheadfonts.com...and Yes the numbers are sweet. I saw one artist using them on a dirt modified race car; would have never thought it could work, but it looked great.

JoshLoring

Yup Conclave and Unlovable =)
I love that site. Awesome fonts.

Thanks Guys, Ill play with that DG - Great advice and you know your fonts.

Craig Sjoquist

Likes the start of the design and layout .. I did say START
1st ..seen studio what did that say ohh ok ... .. stretch studio past that cool looking frame more ... using space between letters with tall letters will really help ..
hint when kerning letters .. try for equal visual space between all letters in word or line of copy..in this case like space the T gives

2nd was the 2 lines of copy in black on that cool looking frame ..top one and the bottom one would flow alot better ..if followed the same curve as ..studio.. bottom one can go under the decor of wrap

but thinks ya got a great start .. look at the thumb nail ... look at your ..flow .. does it balance ..??? you created a great looking image follow through.. that only comes with trail & error

JoshLoring

Thanks Guys.

-As far as the spacing, it's kerned identically. I think people might be confused by the perspective on the 3D Blocking maybe?
I attached the individual layer below for a better look. Letters are evenly spaced.

Attachments

• perspective.jpg
    perspective.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 137

DGDesigns

Your style resembles a lot of the old school tattoo artists...nice flow, contrast and balance. Just curious, do you hang around ink shops for "artistic inspiration"? Would love to see this as a dimensional sign or on the side of a panel van.

JoshLoring

Your style resembles a lot of the old school tattoo artists...nice flow, contrast and balance. Just curious, do you hang around ink shops for "artistic inspiration"? Would love to see this as a dimensional sign or on the side of a panel van.

Haha. Not really. Actually, my tattoo artist always says I should tattoo but other then that I've never created a design like this. I just had a random idea and let it flow.

JoshLoring

Nice work brother...if i may as what program did you work that design in....:rock-n-roll:

IllustratorCS4 - then to PhotoshopCS4 as smart objects for infinite scaling. Detail work in PS.

- all others next time I'm on the comp I will revise with reccomended ideas.

Tiki

Font Sage
Maybe also try opening up the insides just a little more so it reads a little better more yellow less red
Using a darker looking panel background will make it stand out a little more :smile:

Attachments

• 1cc.jpg
    1cc.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 126

JoshLoring

Hmm. I switched it to a internal link.
Ill try attaching again.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 135