• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GQMgr: error: edgeII requires ECP parallel port...?

DeVries Signs

I removed the cable from my EdgeII and used it on my Edge Classic to test it....now I am getting an error when trying to use my EdgeII again. Cable's connected to the same LPT1 port as always!

Anyone know what I need to do to resolve this?

:thankyou:

-----

edit:

I was able to find one link via Google, but I am not a member there so I can not view the thread (I registered, waiting on password):

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q="requires+ECP+parallel+port"&btnG=Search

DeVries Signs

Thanks Fred.

Now I'll try and figure out how to do that... :D

---
edit:

Not seeing any port settings under "advanced BIOS settings"...hmmm...

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Depending on the bios, you either press F2 or Delete when it first starts booting up. From there follow your nose to the port settings.

DeVries Signs

Depending on the bios, you either press F2 or Delete when it first starts booting up. From there follow your nose to the port settings.

Thanks again Fred-

I was able to get into BIOS, but I do not believe my PC contains port settings in BIOS. At least i did not see anything about ports in "advanced settings"...? :frustrated:

Apparently this is the case with "newer" computers?? From this article:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/edito...pport/ref1101/30r01/30r01.asp&ArticleID=40425

Next, check the BIOS settings for the port you are troubleshooting. Port settings are normally located in the Advanced menu. If your computer is newer, the BIOS setup screens may not include port information. If that’s the case, simply exit the BIOS to continue the PC startup.

Anyway- I am trying to figure something out under "device settings"... :banghead:

I just don't understand how any port setting could get changed all by itself...

DeVries Signs

Some pics.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 151
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 176
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 180
  • untitled4.JPG
    untitled4.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 156
  • untitled5.JPG
    untitled5.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 174

Tony Teveris

On the Omega CD there use to be a program called ParCheck.exe. You might try that if you can find it. In GQMgr's about dialog it should also tell you the version of the WarpNine driver, what is it?

Can you still output to the Edge I ?

Do you have an LPT2 to try?

Hopefully plugging and unplugging did not toast the parallel port.

smdgrfx

I used to have this problems sometimes. I would actually have to open the sentinel driver software and reset it before I could get it working again. You are only going to find the ECP port status change in the bios. I've never seen a bios that did not have the option. From old to new, if the port is there, it's in the bios. I just built a brand new one last week and it was there.

Techman

ECP

Extended Capabilities Port. Is backwards compatible to previous ports.

If it set as standard then it will act as the old standard port with no bi-direction. That is not good for modern machines. Because most need to know when to send the next data packet.
In your pics. Why is it set to never use interrupt. If I remember right it should be try not to use interrupt,, that is unless gerber sets it otherwise...

Also, newer machines have it set to high speed usage. I might guess that your hardware may be sensitive to high speed ports usage.

You can observe this port under the system properties. Or you can add it under the system if it is not there.. Check to se if the driver is ok there as well.

However, in the end,, the error code says it cannot open the port. I would start there and figure out why the port is locked. Maybe it is already in use? Or there is a job in the que?

DeVries Signs

On the Omega CD there use to be a program called ParCheck.exe. You might try that if you can find it.

Thanks- but I was unable to find that program anywhere...

In GQMgr's about dialog it should also tell you the version of the WarpNine driver, what is it?

Is that the "About GSP Tray"? All I see there is the serial number, ID, RBase, etc...

Can you still output to the Edge I ?

No, nor could I ever (as per my other thread in this section). I will try again though, once I resolve this issue (as I wish to sell the EdgeI asap).

Do you have an LPT2 to try?

Nope- just one parallel port on this machine, unfortunately (Gateway GT5220)

Hopefully plugging and unplugging did not toast the parallel port.

So do I! :doh:
Does that happen often?? Are you supposed to make sure all hardware is turned OFF before doing this??

============

In GQMgr's about dialog it should also tell you the version of the WarpNine driver, what is it?

Oops, my bad. (I was looking in the "GSP Tray").

It says: Warp Nine Engineering IEEE1284 device driver tool kit.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The sentinel driver should be set to "No" for all shown ports that are not where the security key is located and "Yes" for where it is located.

You list both Graphix Advantage and Omega 2.5 software in your profile. Do you somehow have both applications installed on the same machine?

DeVries Signs

Ok..I configured the "port type" to ECP, rebooted the PC, and still get the same error code when attempting to print on the edgeII...

:banghead:

-------

edit:

You list both Graphix Advantage and Omega 2.5 software in your profile. Do you somehow have both applications installed on the same machine?

No sir- they are on 2 different machines. (and the GA is not CP)

Attachments

• untitled7.JPG
    untitled7.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 182
  • untitled8.JPG
    untitled8.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 142
  • untitled9.JPG
    untitled9.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 143

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You need to change the ECP port to "No" in the Sentinel driver. Only the port that houses your security dongle should be marked as "Yes".

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Try going into the GSP Tray > Install Vinyl Printer and remove any installed Edge printers ... then reinstall the Edge 2. When you do it will display any suitable port that it sees. If there is more than one then you have a problem. If there is just one, select it and install the Edge to it.

DeVries Signs

Try going into the GSP Tray > Install Vinyl Printer and remove any installed Edge printers ... then reinstall the Edge 2. When you do it will display any suitable port that it sees. If there is more than one then you have a problem. If there is just one, select it and install the Edge to it.

Yeah, I tried that yesterday...and just did it now again to make sure. I deleted the Edge II, closed out, then "added" the Edge II (see attached). Same error code is thrown...

Been trying to register on the letterville board as I believe this thread can help me: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=error+edge+"requires+ecp+parallel+port"&btnG=Search

The Letterville BullBoard: 4Edgetalk offline?/Omega 2.1 Question.
Settings were all correct (ECP in BIOS) but error message still said Edge 2 requires ECP Parallel port. Gerber told me the only other very rare times they ...
www.letterville.com/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=037772 - Similar pages

But I can not read it until I am registered (just got an email from Barb there, hopefully I will be registered there soon)

Can someone copy/paste the info from that thread for me here?

Is that ok with you, Fred??

Attachments

• untitled10.JPG
    untitled10.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 164

DeVries Signs

Looks like my Edge II is down for the count, until I can get some kind of "tech support" over here to fix whatever it is that went wrong...

:(

This never happened until I unplugged the cable from the Edge II; plugged it in the EdgeI (to test it); then unplugged it from the EdgeI and back into the EdgeII...

iSign

did the edge 1 work when you tested it?
if so does it work now, if you test it again?
worth a try to see something work, & to prove the cable still works if so...

DeVries Signs

did the edge 1 work when you tested it?
if so does it work now, if you test it again?
worth a try to see something work, & to prove the cable still works if so...

No it didn't. I could not get any communication with the EdgeI at all:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48555

I have never even used the EdgeI before- I bought it used and just wanted to "test" it on my current PC.

----

I am reading on another board everything from installing "an additional (SIIG) printer card" to "installing a new WARP driver" to "downgrading from XP to Windows 98"...