• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics Question

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Zendavor is correct, ballpark it til they get serious. Some people just want to know if it's gonna be $100 or $5000 before they even start thinking about the logistics. I walk when people turn a simple pricing request into a big dog and pony show.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I wasn’t suggesting to be flippant about throwing out prices. Sometimes customers aren’t very forthcoming with information, and throwing out a qualified ballpark price can help move things along.

JBurton

Signtologist
Some people just want to know if it's gonna be $100 or $5000 before they even start thinking about the logistics.
F*ck me, I want to know if you're thinking 5k or 500 before I put pencil to paper for an estimate. I'll stop quoting as soon as I break their budget and come back to present cheaper options. No point in waiting for an updated aluminum quote if it's over what they're asking for.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
F*ck me, I want to know if you're thinking 5k or 500 before I put pencil to paper for an estimate. I'll stop quoting as soon as I break their budget and come back to present cheaper options. No point in waiting for an updated aluminum quote if it's over what they're asking for.
Well that's part of it too. Gotta make sure you're all on the same planet. I hate hard quoting, takes too much time. We can usually get most jobs on a ballpark range price which leaves good room for potential screwups. Just don't charge the high end for every job, it makes you look honest and they'll stop even asking for prices.

GhostPrinting

You can't always get what you need up front when they're just shopping around, but they usually want some sort of pricing to make sure it's within their budget. On a big project, a little design time is a negligible difference, on smaller projects, having to up-charge because artwork isn't usable can make a big difference in the cost. I can knock out artwork quick, that's not an issue, but it's time that has value. How many mechanics will give a cost without first looking at the vehicle? How many trade contractors will give a price to work on your home or business without inspecting? For that matter, how many sign companies will quote constructing and installing a sign without a site survey? It's the same principal for a guy who wants a banner or poster. To give even a remotely accurate price that you can stand behind, you gotta know what you're dealing with, are we doing the artwork, are you providing it, is it suitable for printing, and most people understand that, even when they're just shopping around.
Absolutely spot on and I appreciate the input! When you are getting the artwork from a customer what program are you using for printing and what format are you asking them to send it in? I am having a tough time at trying to get a process that I can use for graphics coming from customers to be able to use on large banners.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Absolutely spot on and I appreciate the input! When you are getting the artwork from a customer what program are you using for printing and what format are you asking them to send it in? I am having a tough time at trying to get a process that I can use for graphics coming from customers to be able to use on large banners.
Just request what they're providing up front for new customers, or those you have had issues with. Bigger jobs are less problematic, more flexible, it's the little jobs for small businesses, individuals, etc, that usually don't understand what's needed for printing, who designed it in some off the wall app or free program that looks good on their tablet or phone. I've found most don't have an issue providing it to get a price.

If someone can't/ won't take 30 seconds to email a file to get a quote, what do you think they'll be like to work with? I don't hesitate to pass on a lot of them, if I don't know that I can print it, I can't give a price. If you just eat the time to re-do their garbage and they come back for more, do you keep eating it to keep pricing consistent? Once you see what you have to work with, giving options and more accurate pricing (or just passing) really takes little more time than a ballpark price, with fewer surprises for you on the artwork end, or them on the final price.

File types I'll accept are common vector formats, PDF, EPS, AI, SVG, not flattened. For printing, with good artwork, minor tweaking, converting to any color profile or format that'll work best with your equipment is nothing. Bad artwork you can waste hours and materials on.

If you're doing the artwork, quoting will be accurate, if they're furnishing it, you never know what you'll get. Look through threads here and you'll see the nightmares all shops encounter with the dreaded "customer provided artwork". You'll never eliminate the issue. On the other hand, I have a fair share of steady customers who don't do any of their own artwork, I do it, some I don't even print for. All started out with them, one of their employees, friends, family, or neighbors thinking they were a designer, and costing them more in the end. If those banners are a steady repeat gig, maybe just doing their artwork is an option you can offer them.

Everyone does things different. I grew up in a body shop, we didn't give any kind of price for anything without inspecting, so this is something that's just stuck with me for almost 70 years. This industry is more lax, but you still have to cover your time and overhead whenever/ however you can.

CanuckSigns

These small "personal" projects for people will bankrupt you quickly, send them to Vista print and focus your time on finding and servicing clients who understand the value in what you provide.
To expand on this a bit, always try to figure out the future business potential for every client you take on, chances are someone looking for a banner of a Facebook image is not going to be a repeat customer, so quote them a price that is high enough to make you happy to do the job, then add a bit more, if you get it great, if not oh well.

I almost always turn these jobs down now, mostly because there is no profit in them, but also because I know I'll drag my feet on it and keep putting it below larger more profitable jobs until the customer calls me upset that it's not done, that's just how I work, and I would hate to have a non profitable job that also left a 1 star review loo.

Last edited:

somcalmetim

Sometimes you can find a higher resolution version of the customers picture just by searching google image with the picture and seeing where its being used online...
it also sometimes shows you where the pic came from so sometimes you can just buy the high res version if its on a clipart site...
Larger banners can get away with lower resolution depending on viewing distance, sometimes I print a small sample of the customers crappy supplied file to show them the blurrieness and they dont have a problem with it for a short term banner and we just roll with it...