• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here are the photos I took for a job I did for a middle school in Wyoming!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, that doesn't look anything at all what a student would design. That appears to be created solely by a sign design piece of software. The initial layout might've been created by a student, but that thing looks totally computerized driven.

jiarby

I don't like the carbon fiber effect, muddies up the text .
The "MORE" in the eyeball looks like you just discovered WordArt in MS Publisher.
Those eyeball icons/bullets that separate the text in the eyeball look kinda familiar...where'dya get those??

he doesnt have to prove a thing to anyone but posting work of this 'caliber' in the hopes of attracting work from other sign companies (as was his original intent from the initial message) it is comical to say the least and at least posting that it was a student drawing if that is in fact the case we would not be lead to believe that this was his doing...

initially he was proud of this and for some odd reason chose to show this on an industry site to showcase his companies 'abilities' in the hopes of drumming up work...makes me wonder about this companies abilities to say the least.

gnemmas

The floor graphic I assume is laminated with lexan, why the grout pattern showing on certain part and not on others? Was it printed on clear? That will explain the color change also.

Marlene

The thing about doing signs for schools (I have done this myself) is you usually get a damn crayon sketch from the star student, and are forced to replicate it.
No amount of design skill can budge the committee.

very true. I just did a large sign with an LED board that had some really great graphics...not.

Graphics2u

he doesnt have to prove a thing to anyone but posting work of this 'caliber' in the hopes of attracting work from other sign companies (as was his original intent from the initial message) it is comical to say the least and at least posting that it was a student drawing if that is in fact the case we would not be lead to believe that this was his doing...

initially he was proud of this and for some odd reason chose to show this on an industry site to showcase his companies 'abilities' in the hopes of drumming up work...makes me wonder about this companies abilities to say the least.
I agree with you, Dan. But I thought it was "comical" that someone would ask for pictures of a student drawing for "proof". Like I said Ive received all kinds of poor designs from schools, But then again I would not promote myself with that stuff either.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you, Dan. But I thought it was "comical" that someone would ask for pictures of a student drawing for "proof". Like I said Ive received all kinds of poor designs from schools, But then again I would not promote myself with that stuff either.

is that what happened? Did they force you to use a students design? If so upload a scan of the original so we can see too.

I never asked for proof... I was giving them the opportunity to give us the complete story. I agree with everything Dan said.

If you post crap expect to get called out on it. This was NOT a "hey I need help" post.

Graphics2u

I never asked for proof... I was giving them the opportunity to give us the complete story. I agree with everything Dan said.

If you post crap expect to get called out on it. This was NOT a "hey I need help" post.
No you didn't ask using the word proof, but considering the overall tone of the thread that's what it sounded like. If that's not what you meant then I apologize.

PhatWall

here is the whole story. the floor graphics were printed with a roland 540v. it was printed on mactac streatrap with mactac non-slip laminate. I was told to come up with an oval design with arrows shooting out of it. saying community, students, staff , and parents. They wanted the colors purple and teal for the school colors. They wanted their mission statement as well as their mascot design which i didnt design. the arrows were created in illustrator as well as all of mission statement itself. I then imported them into a photoshop file. I then choose a dark oval from sign craft suite. I chose black because i wanted the mascot to show up in detail. It also goese good with the school colors. I then placed my arrows below the sign. I placed the mascot on top of the sign and droped the transparacy. I placed a wolverine paw to the right of the mascot and finally put the mission statement on the top layer. I then flattened the image and used genuine fractals to blow up the image to size and saved it at 300dpi. I then had genuine fractals to tile the image. Finaly I printed, laminated, and cut out my work.
On the eye I used 3m's textured wall film and laminate from 3m that is designed for that spacific vinyl. The eye came to me as a really bad drawing and i was told to see what I could do. I redesigned it digitaly in illustrator then placed it in photoshop. I used genuine fractals to resize and tile that image as well. Finaly I had them printed and laminated and cut.
I am sorry I may not be as good or as qualified as all of the cridics on this site. I am sorry I dont meet your aproval. I put alot of work into them and did the best i could with what the school wanted. I never took any graphic art class and feel that I am very talented. I own my own print company and have a 74" trim cutter, mutoh 64" valuejet, and 64" laminator on its way. I have started this business with a goal and have worked 2 years on trying to start my company. And the thing is nobody gave me a silver spoon like most of you out there. anyways I am trying to figure how to upload mor pics and my designs for this project.
Oh yeah. that floor graphic material molds when it is heated. I installed it ontop of tile so it just took the shape.

Jillbeans

It's a pity that after doing all that work with background fills and textures that you stretched/squished the font to fit the shape and made it very hard to read.
And you could have at least made the thicknesses in the eyelash initials uniform.
And uploaded pix to the site rather than just posting a bunch of MySpace mumbo jumbo in your last posts.
Like I said, it's always better to show ideas here for constructive critique before you hit the "print" button.
*puts silver spoon back in mouth then gags on it*

signmeup

I started with nothing. In fact....I started in dept. "Less than nothing." No silver spoon here. Keep posting and hanging out here and your stuff will get better and better. I didn't even know what "kerning" meant.

I can't see stuff on myspace because I don't have an account. Hard to imagine...isn't it.

you can have all of the tools/toys in the world but if you don't invest in learning the fundamentals of good design...well you won't be a competent designer, which will set you apart from the majority of signmakers in the nation.

i have said it many times, that every project that comes through the doors of a working signshop will not be a "portfolio piece" they can be few and far between, but it is important to make the simple projects look good as well and to follow the basic guidelines of good design.

Marlene

put alot of work into them and did the best i could with what the school wanted. I never took any graphic art class and feel that I am very talented.

I'm sure you did put a lot of work into it and no one faults you for that. you state that you never took a graphic art class and feel that you are very talented. since you have the drive and desire, try taking some classes or buying some of the great design books that are available and learn the mechanics of design. behind every great design is a working knowledge of the building blocks needed to make it work. once you have that, your natural talents will mesh well with your learned talents. a real big help is to do a seach for threads posted by Jon Aston. he posts thread with some of the best links to design sites and I have them all in my favorites as they are such good resources.

k.a.s.

Do you know anything about any of us? So b/c people did not like your designs they were given everything? Where do you get off making ridiculous statments like that. You need to lighten up, you specificly asked for "imput" which is what you got. If you want only warm fuzzy imput go to that other U.S. forum. Around here when you post somthing people will tell you what they actully think (imagine that).

That said, I think the print and install of the graphics looks good, the designs just need some work. So instead of getting defensive, ask for specifics and what others would have done differently. Then you can understand what people are saying and learn from it. We all help each other to improve our skills, thats what this place is for. But you have to be able to handle critique.

Kevin

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, Phattsie.....

You did ask for critique and you did say some student were responsible for the design and now you claim you did just about everything. You admit to having no graphics background nor a silver spoon, which is also quite evident. Most of your decisions on your design are rather basic and somewhat limited. No interest to the nature of design are present and when these qualities are pointed out to you... you cop an attitude. Do you really expect to survive if you keep putting out work like that and refuse to take constructive helping ideas and hints ??

Merely owning equipment and knowing the sequence in which to perform certain tasks on said equipment is not nearly enough to set you apart from competition in your area.... and that's what many here are trying to point out to you. It doesn't matter in the least to anyone here how you fare in business, but if you want to make a living at this trade, we would all collectively like you to be honest and get better to keep the standards up to a bar we all feel should be across the board around the globe.

Going back and forth like you've done in the period of one day is a little more than pulling the wool over some seasoned eyes.

Please learn from all of these fine people and try to at least listen.... even if you don't understand fully, so you can ask questions and possibly learn then, from those answers.