• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I make this look less like clip art.

nikdoobs

This is for a New Restaurant. They wanted a Mariachi guy for their signage so I drew this guy up. I'm fairly happy with him I just wish he didn't look so much like clip art. I'm not the best at this kind of stuff so any suggestions on how to make this guy look better would be appreciated.

tia,
Nick

attachment.php

Attachments

• El Mariachi- Building Sign-B.pdf
    345.1 KB · Views: 168

TimToad

I'd be less worried about the clip art and far more worried about that really weak text presentation. Is that really the best you could come up with?

Billct2

The caricature needs more detail/depth. The hat just looks like a green circle.
But I agree it's the sign that needs the major improvement.
The font, colors & layout are just not reflecting the product.

SignManiac

Here's a small road sign I did for a local Mexican place. Might give you some ideas for color combo's

Attachments

• Los Chicos.jpg
    Los Chicos.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 144

TimToad

Yeah, you want to take a crack at it?

Here's five that I did absolutely nothing to but type out that I think are more appropriate and appealing than what you were going to present. I spent maybe 10 minutes on all them total. Isn't a 4'x1-' illuminated sign project worthy of a few minutes worth of design time?

Typography on one's sign alone can make or break a business. Do you want it on your conscience that nobody went to that restaurant because it looked so shabby even before opened?

attachment.php

Attachments

• El Mariachi.jpg
    El Mariachi.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183

Billct2

You could always do a stock rectangle box below and a non illuminated cut out caricature above, which could be flood lit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason, you associate those lettering styles with Mexican culture ?? To me it just looks like old Western movies and how Hollywood portrayed the Mexicans. Other than the badly used Old English is all caps, Mexican signs look as easily read as our signs, just in Spanish.

Is this truly how you stereotype Mexican signs ??

Also, for the OP, I think you better work on a better 'Your Own' version...........
attachment.php
This was one of three which all resembled yours completely.

Attachments

• mariachi.jpg
    mariachi.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 188

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Gino makes a point, being of that culture, I cringe over
most interpretations of "mexican" graphics... though
mexican graphic designers may not be any better.
See Alfred E. Neuman image below...

Is this a nice (hifalutin) restaurant or a taco joint?... if
it's a decent restaurant, then maybe lose the cartoon.

If it's authentic street food, maybe use the art and colors of that.

You doing just the sign or interior graphics.

My favorite books on semi-authentic "mexican" design is:

http://www.amazon.com/Sensacional-G...d_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MVFT8S6MNH8G4NAVADF
http://www.amazon.com/Mexicana-Icons-Jim-Heimann/dp/3822815632

I saw a movie.... though Cuban themed with a food truck design that caught my eye...
See images below...

Attachments

• alfredoeneumann.jpg
    alfredoeneumann.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Washington+DC+food+truck+chef.jpeg
    Washington+DC+food+truck+chef.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 177
  • Screen_Shot_2015-01-07_at_11.07.47_AM.0.0.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-01-07_at_11.07.47_AM.0.0.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 142

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Here's five that I did absolutely nothing to but type out that I think are more appropriate and appealing than what you were going to present. I spent maybe 10 minutes on all them total. Isn't a 4'x1-' illuminated sign project worthy of a few minutes worth of design time?

Typography on one's sign alone can make or break a business. Do you want it on your conscience that nobody went to that restaurant because it looked so shabby even before opened?

This comment reminds of a rant one of my favorite designers did. He's very opinionated and goes off
about what he's passionate about. This video is NSFW but really worth the watch... I would also look
at the other video... But yeah, I believe when we're messing' with someones business, we need to give
it a lot of effort and thought.

NSFW
[video=vimeo;1465284]https://vimeo.com/1465284[/video]

NSFW
[video=vimeo;39441590]https://vimeo.com/39441590[/video]

Attachments

• sunset crap.jpg
    sunset crap.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited: