• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I make this look less like clip art.

Bretbyron

I saw a movie.... though Cuban themed with a food truck design that caught my eye...
See images below...

Nice use of Alfred E. Neuman on that first sign. I didn't know he was that big in Mexico. Whomever designed that is "MAD" crazy. I LOVE IT!!!!!:Big Laugh

TimToad

Chef was an awesome film!

It is important that we approach our permanent work with the intention of offering our customers something that helps them succeed and not the opposite. I don't know what a shop in the OP's area gets per square foot for a 4'x10' electric sign with an additional logo shape like he came up with, but its worth enough everywhere I've ever worked to warrant far more design effort than I saw initially.

Still trying to wrap my head around whether Gino had directed his comments my way or elsewhere.

I've been to Mexico five times, lived in New Mexico for 11 years whose population is 50% Hispanic, grew up in Chicago which is about 25% Hispanics of every type on the planet, now live in Cali which has plenty of Hispanics of all stripes, love ethnic foods of all types especially Tapas, Mexican, Salvadoran, Spanish, Cuban, Brazilian, etc.., so I'd like to say I've seen more than my share of signs, menus, graphics for hispanic oriented businesses in my day. That being said, I know that I can and do when called upon to graphically reflect a certain culture or ethnicity, I do it with respect and dignity.

I liked the distinction you asked the OP about making between a nice sit down Mexican restaurant and a food truck selling tacos. Whenever I see the word "cuisine" attached to a restaurant, I presume a little nicer place.

OldPaint

really your best shot.......is find some one like john deaton.......to DRAW YOU A CARICATURE if you have to have one......OR be happy with clip art.........
this is one i did in paint on 2 sides of the building 4 ft x 10 ft it came from their menu...

Attachments

• os ranchro.jpg
    os ranchro.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 132

OADesign

Not much to add in regard to layout. Others have a handle on that. But my question is, what part of that sign is getting hung on a raceway? And How?

Marlene

instead of the guy, you could go with a pepper graphic as it says spicy food. I know it has been done but it has because it works. I did a Mexican restaurant and did it in salsa bowl colors with a pepper and the typical what is expected Mexican font and it works. people want to see what they expect. would you go to a Chinese restaurant with a blue and white sign with Old English? it would feel off. it would be nice if we could change the world but when certain fonts and images work and convey the message, will it really service the customer to ignore them?

Billct2

I'm with Marlene. Sometimes fonts & designs are obvious, but that can be a good thing for the customer.
Think red,green & white for pizza joints.
The challenge is to bring a fresh creative perspective to the design. I do a lot of stuff for Irish groups and
I'm always looking for new fonts and symbols to personalize the design. But they are still obviously "Celtic".

Marlene

I'm with Marlene. Sometimes fonts & designs are obvious, but that can be a good thing for the customer.
Think red,green & white for pizza joints.
The challenge is to bring a fresh creative perspective to the design. I do a lot of stuff for Irish groups and
I'm always looking for new fonts and symbols to personalize the design. But they are still obviously "Celtic".

yes, you can go with what is expected and still make it look fresh.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Please noooooooo!!!!

In this case, I beg you, no chile... "Mariachi"
has a strong visual description, well, unless
it's a mariachi playing chile... then again, if it's
cuisine... does an cartoon sombrero'd chili with a
'stache and guitar say "cuisine"?

I just looked up the top 10 Mexican Restaurants
in L.A. Then looked up top Louisiana Mexican Restaurants.

In Los Angeles, not one in the top 10 had a chile on it....
but then again, culturally, we may have a different take on
mexican food identity and graphics.
Find your regional idea of what they define as mexican.
Maybe in Vermont, they need a chile to define it, but I think
it's way too limiting. From what I saw, some may have great
food, but bad logos, but quite a few have some quirky, and
modern takes on mexican food logos

I would do some research on the best mexican restaurants
in your state, get a visual "language" on what is popular, then
you can design something that may be regionally pleasing...
(baaaaah!!! even if it is a chile)

Marlene

Please noooooooo!!!!

In this case, I beg you, no chile... "Mariachi"
has a strong visual description, well, unless
it's a mariachi playing chile... then again, if it's
cuisine... does an cartoon sombrero'd chili with a
'stache and guitar say "cuisine"?

I just looked up the top 10 Mexican Restaurants
in L.A. Then looked up top Louisiana Mexican Restaurants.

In Los Angeles, not one in the top 10 had a chile on it....
but then again, culturally, we may have a different take on
mexican food identity and graphics.
Find your regional idea of what they define as mexican.
Maybe in Vermont, they need a chile to define it, but I think
it's way too limiting. From what I saw, some may have great
food, but bad logos, but quite a few have some quirky, and
modern takes on mexican food logos

I would do some research on the best mexican restaurants
in your state, get a visual "language" on what is popular, then
you can design something that may be regionally pleasing...
(baaaaah!!! even if it is a chile)

not sure where you got you info but someone needs to tell the Mexicans who have been using chili peppers in their food since 7500 BC that a chili peppers in LA are taboo, my whole point was yes, you should stay within what people see as being correct for a Mexican restaurant in colors and fonts but if you feel the need for a graphic, you don't have to go with an actual Mexican graphic. as far as I am concerned, if I hate graphics on a sign of any kind. I think a done right with fonts and colors is more powerful than one with a bunch of images but if you insist on one, keep it simple

Attachments

• chili.jpg
    chili.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 123

TimToad

I don't think Rick was suggesting the OP not use a chile, more that he was suggesting he NOT use the stereotypical chile cartoons prevalent in use.

How many more of these must we all incorporate into every Mexican restaurant sign?

attachment.php
attachment.php

I actually do think the one on the right with a guitar added could work though.

Attachments

• 3205174-una-ilustracion-vectorial-de-chiles1.jpg
    3205174-una-ilustracion-vectorial-de-chiles1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 190
  • chile.jpg
    chile.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 162

Marlene

I don't think Rick was suggesting the OP not use a chile, more that he was suggesting he NOT use the stereotypical chile cartoons prevalent in use.

How many more of these must we all incorporate into every Mexican restaurant sign?

attachment.php
attachment.php

I actually do think the one on the right with a guitar added could work though.

so agree with that! I hate cartoon anything and a smiling veggie is just wrong

GypsyGraphics

in my area there are more mexican restaurants than Starbucks and Mc Donald's combined... we can drive a mile without seeing one or the other. but there is literally a mexican restaurant in EVERY shopping center, across the street from each other and in some TWO (a taco shop style and a more formal restaurant style).

oddly enough one taco shop will close and another open in the same center and it often goes unnoticed because of the typical clip-art-esque stye (chili's, sombreros, happy mexican dude) or mexican flag colors. the restaurants that have stood the test of time, have none of those and in fact have no graphic at all.

my point is.... do your homework. know if your customers business is unique to the area and how using the expected imagery will serve them.

for me... a dentist doesn't get a tooth, a restaurant doesn't get food and a dog groomer doesn't get a dog.

i'll never forget the day when a couple opening a dog grooming shop came in to see their first round of logo concepts and said "we can't wait to see what breed of dog you used." i said, well then i guess you'll be surprised to know... there is no Dog." (referencing the dyslexia atheist joke, which went over their heads)
they have become the most successful groomers in the area. can you imagine that... no dog and still people with dogs flocked to the place. go figure.