• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to create ruler scales in new Illustrator CC...?

shoresigns

Because there is a thing called architectural scale and engineering scale. Archtectural scale uses fractions. Engineering scale uses decimals. This is basic drafting 101 knowlege. If you look at a AutoCAD archtectural drawing you will see that they use archtectural scale.
I'm aware of that, but my comments are about Illustrator, not AutoCAD. It's far easier to work in 1:10 in Illustrator since it doesn't have built-in tools for dealing with different scales. Once your drawing is done, it takes 10 seconds to rescale it to 1" = 1' or whatever you need to send to the client/municipality/engineer.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I've been reminded all week after getting cr@p drawings from sign designers that most can't design to a scale to save their lives... even with the correct tools...

It's actually far easier to work in scale where you have multiple scales at your disposal... no scaling up or down... just start drawing where the sign will fit the page for client/architect/municipality and all the tools to do the call outs...

Attachments

• IMG_2796.JPG
    IMG_2796.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 157

JimmyG

I'm still thinkin about CadTools and that $349 Rick....(Hot Door - CADtools - Overview) so for time being still using Corel Draw x7 with architectural scaling...
Hopefully if work slows down I will do their trial for adobe and justify the expense...

Thanks for all your posts and info everyone...!

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Which is the reason why art school trained desginers need to go to drafting school to learn how to scale and dimension drawings properly.

shoresigns

Which is the reason why art school trained desginers need to go to drafting school to learn how to scale and dimension drawings properly.
I'd agree with that. Most designers don't understand the basic math that's required to do their jobs. Like changing scales and dealing with image resolutions.