• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to legally sell my Adobe Dreamweaver

WildWestDesigns

Yes, as I recall I paid $200.00 for it. And that was through Adobe. There aren't any differences between the regular and student versions except for the price.

They must have changed that, because I'm wanting to say that they only gave you one seat instead of three for the commercial version.

phototec said:
What kind of deal did you get with your CS 5 Master Suite?

Does the student version have all the same features as the regular version?

Do you know if there are any functional restrictions?

When I got Ai CS4 (only CS4 program that I had) I stopped doing the student/teacher versions. CS5 Master Suite was at the full commercial price.

The full blown price for the CS5 Master Suite is almost the same price as waiting 2 versions to upgrade on another software that I get, so I didn't have a hard time reconciling that cost.

ProWraps

mind letting me know how you did that? i wanted to but was under the impression that i had to purchase a whole nother copy of the damn thing.

royster13

If the software is owned by an individual it can be installed on 2 computers so long as both computers are not both used as the same time....

WildWestDesigns

mind letting me know how you did that? i wanted to but was under the impression that i had to purchase a whole nother copy of the damn thing.

I think that they might have changed how they did things. I remember reading that you could buy 1 additional license each year, but I'm not even seeing that verbage anywhere. So either they have it "hidden" pretty well within their site or they made some changes with their latest release.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
When i got my CS4 it had two keys. I hear now with CS5 you are allowed only 1 key.

No you can use it on 2. But EULA says they cannot be used at the same time. In other words, in an office/home by 2 individuals. But currently there is no way Adobe can prevent you from doing so. My guess is as they move towards cloud based computing that could change. They will probably implement a way of doing so someday.

I have cs 5.5 on a laptop and desktop

visual800

The last few versions of adobe software I have bought were student versions off ebay. How can I justify paying $600 for soemthing when i can get a student full version with a serial number for $200 off ebay.

Put the damn software on ebay start auction at $1 with free shipping. DO NOT take pics of the serial number and be careful how you title it.

I placed my dreamweaver on ebay and the day it sold was the day I got an email that ebay had snatched it off ebay. Keep in mind it was already sold and paid for thru paypal....dumbasses.

I called ebay and spoke with a guy and asked what up. He then said "your item was removed for fraud." I asked what fraud, he could not answer me and said the BSA (business software alliance) spotted it and they ordered ebay to pull auction. Ok so I call those f****kers up. After lots and lots of BS and transfers I finally got to some weasel d**k that looked up the auction number and said "yes, that auction was flagged"....as I sat on phone waiting for a reason I heard silence. I asked why.

It appears the way I had the listing titled set off an alarm and flags. I think it came down to me stating it was OEM version...OEM! thats what did it. I asked why they didnt email me instead of being little bitches and snatching auction. He then proceeded to tell me once you buy software you cannot sell it again....I replied in several cuss words followed with Ill do wtf I want. I bought it Ill sell it. I brought up the fact that I am honest but yet theres 400 other people on ebay selling full versions for $100 but you guys dont f**k with them? I got no reply on that.

THE BSA is nothing but a bully system with no authority, they act bad and obviously ebay is their b****. Pay attention to your listing title and good luck! You will recoup your money for sure! Software is too expensive to buy and not use

WildWestDesigns

The last few versions of adobe software I have bought were student versions off ebay. How can I justify paying $600 for soemthing when i can get a student full version with a serial number for $200 off ebay.

I must be incredibly honest, using a student/teacher edition solely for a commercial purpose is a no-no in my book (and I would imagine legally as well, doesn't matter how hard it is for them to be able to prove it as this point in time). If you are good you should be able to recoup that $600 pretty easily. $600 is nothing. I have one software (just one program) that goes for $13,999 (thankfully I've got the deals that offered directly from the company so I've never had to pay that full price). You don't see that software on ebay, I just checked. They do have 1 copy of the entry level version, but it's only 3 hundred less then the current version's retail price. That's with no bids on it at the time I'm posting this. To me the extra $300 is worth being current.

Put the damn software on ebay start auction at $1 with free shipping. DO NOT take pics of the serial number and be careful how you title it.

If you have to do that, something must not be right. It may or may not be anything on your end, but something isn't right if there has to be careful wording for a legit sale.

I placed my dreamweaver on ebay and the day it sold was the day I got an email that ebay had snatched it off ebay. Keep in mind it was already sold and paid for thru paypal....dumbasses.

I called ebay and spoke with a guy and asked what up. He then said "your item was removed for fraud." I asked what fraud, he could not answer me and said the BSA (business software alliance) spotted it and they ordered ebay to pull auction. Ok so I call those f****kers up. After lots and lots of BS and transfers I finally got to some weasel d**k that looked up the auction number and said "yes, that auction was flagged"....as I sat on phone waiting for a reason I heard silence. I asked why.

It appears the way I had the listing titled set off an alarm and flags. I think it came down to me stating it was OEM version...OEM! thats what did it. I asked why they didnt email me instead of being little bitches and snatching auction. He then proceeded to tell me once you buy software you cannot sell it again....I replied in several cuss words followed with Ill do wtf I want. I bought it Ill sell it. I brought up the fact that I am honest but yet theres 400 other people on ebay selling full versions for $100 but you guys dont f**k with them? I got no reply on that.

I wouldn't trust any information that I got off the phone from the "front line people". Most of the time they are glorified telemarketers that don't know a whole helluva lot.

THE BSA is nothing but a bully system with no authority, they act bad and obviously ebay is their b****. Pay attention to your listing title and good luck! You will recoup your money for sure! Software is too expensive to buy and not use

Reselling isn't really using the software. Most places aren't really selling the software in of itself, but the right to actually use the software, which is why reselling is on the their no-no list unless you go through their reseller program. With their subscription service there are really trying to make certain that that is what is going on.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
No you can use it on 2. But EULA says they cannot be used at the same time. In other words, in an office/home by 2 individuals. But currently there is no way Adobe can prevent you from doing so. My guess is as they move towards cloud based computing that could change. They will probably implement a way of doing so someday.

I have cs 5.5 on a laptop and desktop

cs5 uses and authorizing site that it connects to periodically to confirm that liscense is in full effect. I blocked that site in my windows host file the first day I got the suite. Doesn't change the functionality ... but I don't need adobe watchdogging me like i'm a 5 year old with a pair of non-safety scissors.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Visual800 - that is because you were reselling an OEM version. That is different than a Student Edition and Retail Edition. OEM versions of software are ONLY allowed to be sold with a specific peice of hardware - this is in the licensing terms. For example- OEM Microsoft Windows can only legally be sold with a peice of computer hardware. In that scenario they are not as specific and it can be something as simple as a new mouse. On Photoshop I'd guess an OEM version might come bundled with a tablet or even a computer. OEM versions CAN be legally sold BUT it MUST be sold with the hardware it is intended to be sold with.

In other words - say you buy and off the shelf Dell computer with Windows 7 on it. You have an OEM version of Windows 7. The only legal way to sell that copy of Windows 7 is if you sell the computer that it came with along with it.

If you somehow get software bundled with something (or not but it was intended to be since it is an OEM version) then you need to be aware that it probably can only later be sold with whatever it originally came bundled with. Student editions have their own set of rules. Many can never be resold legally while some can. License, resale, transfer restrictions vary from company to company and from program to program. The end user not being aware of the licensing terms is not the software makers problem.

On Adobe CSx products it has always been 2 activations allowed. As already mentioned this is NOT intended to be for 2 seats to use at the same time. Adobes intention of alowing 2 activations is so you can install it on your desktop and your laptop but both copies are never "legally" allowed to be used at the same time. Most do so anyways and I'm certain Adobe is well aware of this. One nice fact on Adobe Student editions - they can be upgraded to the latest version at the regular retail upgrade price. Once upgraded a Student Edition legally becomes a full Retail edition. At that point it can legally be used for commercial business and resold/transferred to a new owner.

These are of course specific examples. Other programs and companies will all have their own set of terms and rules. Some never allow a program to be resold, ever. Some make you jump through 50 hoops. I look at like this - if I'm spending under a couple hundred buck I really do not care if I can resell it or not. Might check if I can return it if not satisfied or something if it's some new program I want to try that has no demo version. Over a couple hundred bucks I will find the licensing terms and read them first so I can make a better decision.

WildWestDesigns

Visual800 - that is because you were reselling an OEM version. That is different than a Student Edition and Retail Edition. OEM versions of software are ONLY allowed to be sold with a specific peice of hardware - this is in the licensing terms.

After you mentioned that, I went to try to find my Nero 8 cd that came with my burner and sure enough. OEM, NOT for for resale, to be bundled with hardware only.

visual800

you are very correct there was a mention of it being bundled! I forgot that.

As far as me being good enough to recoup $600 I dont see what that matters. My point is why buy a freakin mercedes when a vw jetta will do just as much. If I saw an item on ebay for sale ill get it. im not going to go thru the trouble of contacting adobe and "asking permission" I didnt register my dreamweaver nor is my illy cs5 registered mainly for the point of 2 years from now when adobe comes out with cs14 i can sell this cs5 for maybe $100, who knows. I suppose that also is breaking the software law.

I dont feel as though its illegal. Its not like Im admitting to downloading pirated software. I do think those of us that are selling our older versions and are honest are easiy targets instead of them going after the $100 programs on ebay that are for sale. if they would have appraoached me instead of the way they did (and of course in time) i would have complied and understood, but to simply email me with no reason does not work with me.

WildWestDesigns

As far as me being good enough to recoup $600 I dont see what that matters.

It is when you are going about it from the price angle, especially with something that is used to make money.

My point is why buy a freakin mercedes when a vw jetta will do just as much.

Not a fair comparison. You are getting one that was priced and geared to a certain market that you aren't in. It would be very easy for me to get new student versions of software if I wanted to. Lord knows that would help with my bottom line, but that would be a no-no.

A closer analogy to your comparison would be getting Photoshop Elements versus Photoshop Extended.

I suppose that also is breaking the software law.I dont feel as though its illegal.

Unfortunately it doesn't go by what you feel. I know I sure don't like all the things I have to pay out for when you have lazy people on the receiving end doing nothing.

if they would have appraoached me instead of the way they did (and of course in time) i would have complied and understood, but to simply email me with no reason does not work with me.

Depending on certain laws, since I'm not a lawyer I don't know specifically the laws that would affect ebay, they may not be under any obligation to tell you if something could put their "butt in a sling" with a warning. You may or may not pull it and still get them in trouble.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I didnt register my dreamweaver nor is my illy cs5 registered mainly for the point of 2 years from now when adobe comes out with cs14 i can sell this cs5 for maybe $100, who knows. I suppose that also is breaking the software law.

How are you able to not register it? I thought after 30 days it becomes non functional unless registered online

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Have you used Joomla? Why do you prefer it? I am looking at free wordpress templates vs dreamweaver vs ???

dreamweaver is just the program, you need to look at css templates or other specific templates. Joomla is a more ... complex front end that can have pages designated to categories as opposed to a blog format that you butcher the template code into making categories into pages.

Drupal is better.

Though ... lately for ease of use ... concrete5 has been my bff.