• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need some constructive criticism on my website

Tim Aucoin

I agree with everyone's comments here! I had my speakers up a little high and your audio scared the CENSORED out of me man!! Lose the audio... people don't need to be told that your site is under construction... it's pretty obvious! I'm still startled by the loud "HELLO"!!:omg::omg:

Jon Aston

A bit Off Topic...

Wow. This thread could have gone an entirely different direction.

I looked at the website yesterday, and honestly didn't know where to begin with any sort of comment.

Good comments from all. Kudos to everyone who has responded - and to you Randy for your reaction to the comments you've received.

In this day and age - and especially from behind barriers like pseudonyms and keyboards - it was refreshing to see such civility, grace, dignity and respect from everyone.

So I just wanted to say thanks, and give a tip of the hat.

Jon

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have to say RandyS will go far if he continues in the trade with his great attitude.

This is a great example of an honest straight taking critique that will better the persons work and a person who is willing to take strong criticism.

RandyS

Thank You Everyone

Thank you everyone for your comments, Both Constructive and Rude, I believe that some of you dont understand what constructive criticism is, so I googled it and this is what I found.....Constructive criticism is criticism kindly meant that has a goal of improving some area of another’s person’s life or work. Often constructive criticism refers specifically to the critique of someone else’s written or artistic work, in perhaps a teacher/student setting, that would allow that person to further improve the work or to improve their approach to future endeavors.....as for the kokapelli figures they are not copyrighted, he is an indian fertility god, that would be like me saying Take that picture of Jesus off your wall its copyrighted. and as for my sign work, my customers are happy and my signs are made with Quality materials and they will outlast alot of other peoples work. besides that I was not asking you to critique my signs I was asking for advise on my website.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Well, there goes that...

All you did was ask for constructive criticism with no criteria on what we could comment on. Since website design is content, it's only natural to comment on your work,which is part of the website.

If I could tell you how to double your sales in a year would you do it? Some comments may be rude, but a few people took time and were well thought out "straight talk" comments that could be construed as rude. Maybe they are saying what is actually on their mind because in this unfiltered environment, you can. There is a benefit to that.

It's possible that even though your work sold, you can do better work and get paid more for it and have even happier customers? You can benefit from your portfolio comments.

This as posted some years back:

This is from another site where we have issues with varying crit styles and heated debates on how to critique and what is good design. If you think we are bad here, there are designer forums that are brutal..... These are NOT rules on critique...just a guide to help those to understand what is being presented and I'm sure it is way too much to read and apply here but it helps in knowing how to present a logo fro crit than just here is a logo, critique me....

1) Demographics/Audience (Who are you trying to reach?)
2) Industry Focus (Is this for the tech sector? Timber industry? International markets? etc.)
3) Details on printing, displaying or finishing the project (e.g., foils, spot color, billboard, point-of-sales materials, etc.)
4) Maybe a few questions or problems you've been struggling with...what are some things you like or don't like about this particular project.

Client/Project Briefing;
Who is it for? (or) What is it for?
What is their prime product or objective?
Who is THEIR typical clientele or main demographic?
How does (or will) your work aid this client?
...any special circumstances that may enhance the knowledge base for the designers participating in the critique.

Preliminary Concepting;
It's a much smoother process if posters can see where the work has come from. Just how far has it traveled. Not always, but most times that will be a tell-tale clue as to how much depth was given to concept and proper shaping of the ideas involved. Tossing a half-baked concept and work product to the wolves will start a feeding frenzy. It is highly advised that sketches and first attemps be posted along with the work you wish to have critiqued. Did I mention sketches?!

Work Product;
Do not start with the final iteration of your work. You are too tied to it at that point and will possibly be less inclined to take even the best suggestions. Come to the Crit section only half done and still molding and shaping your work. It's easier to see where changes and improvements could be made. And you might even be on the right track and posters can green-liight you and send you on your way.

Finally,
Check the Ego;
After all is said and done, you the main poster, came to this section looking for help and opinions from design professionals, many of which are quite skilled and proven many times over. Don't get upset for getting what your signed on for. While it is agreed that no one should endure disrepect or derogatory actions and behaviors, a critique is a water test that requires a bit of tearing down to build up. Not up for that...simply don't post.

signmeup

Work Product;
Do not start with the final iteration of your work. You are too tied to it at that point and will possibly be less inclined to take even the best suggestions. Come to the Crit section only half done and still molding and shaping your work. It's easier to see where changes and improvements could be made. And you might even be on the right track and posters can green-liight you and send you on your way.
Great post Rick. I've posted a couple of times very early in a design and it's worked out the very best for me. Like it says you're not committed to the design yet. Makes it easier to absorb the advice.

chatterbox

Suggestions on your website

hello Randy,

I sent you an email with suggestions and tips.

Mike Burke
Chatterbox Sign Design
Torrance CA

Last edited by a moderator:

chatterbox

Web design advice

Randy,

Make your NAME of company CLEAR, BOLD, READABLE. Place your phone number at TOP, see www.FlynnSigns.com

Also, show PICTURES on the front like this. www.WescoSignsInc.com

IF you do not have a lot of money to spend, have a LOOK like this, BUT with your NAME READABLE.

http://sigsigns.com/

=============================================

Here is a good one, BUT YOUR NAME should be BIG and READABLE.

http://madduxsigns.com/

For HIGH END look on website, look at these sites.

www.jb3d.com

http://www.weidnersignage.com/

===========================================

BY THE WAY, your email doesn't work

Mike B.
Los Angeles

RandyS

I understand that all comments posted were of the best intentions, and once again thank you every for posting, I am taking all comments into consideration, I was not specific enough when I asked for constructive criticism, what I meant was what are my mistakes and what can I do to fix them, Fred Weiss Thank you for your post, I did not realize the flash player was a link, I am redesigning my site until then, I'll leave it up cause screw it, worst case scenario, I make all you look good. I applied for a college course on Graphic design and web design, (I Start in May), because believe it or not this is what I want to do, To tell you the truth I would rather work on lighted signs, but I dont have the proper Michigan Licensing for it so I do vinyl graphics. and I am getting into web design, because its fun, and if you do something you enjoy you never work a day in your life. Anyway Once again thank you for your comments. I will let you know when I have a new design for my site up, cause after all I am trying to learn.

Mosh

•lose the voice thing, it sounds lie Spicoly from Fast Times (I could hear breathing)
•better pics (the signs you show are pretty plain)
•Seamless background
•Stuff does not load fast enough to look at, turned out before it loaded.

Honestly that is as far as I got into your site before turning out. Until then "catch a good wave and say HEY BUD, LET'S PARTY"

Edserv

You have a nice navigation bar, but you're taking way too much real estate with your logo and text.
When people land on your homepage, you have about 8 to 15 seconds (at the most) until they either decide to go further or leave.
In my humble opinion, you should try to "hook" your landing page traffic with whatever it is they're hopefully going to purchase, and make it extremely easy for them.
Video is the future. If you know how to do any video, I would recommend that for the landing pages, or at least great pictures to capture their attention.
I got away from video "above the fold" on my landing page last year and am currently re-designing my pages with informational video for every product.
If you really want a kick-butt website, try to acquire some www.Stompernet information. It's worked for us (we're currently #5 on Google for "vinyl banners" and rank for hundreds of other terms.) Now I'm just trying to get it to convert!
Good luck,
chris

swannn32

Graphic Designer
Do a internet search for some free web page templates. They will get you started with out any skill. You can change the background colors and the content of the template and it will look way more professional than the one you have.
Then look for a web design program that allows for "What You See Is What You Get" drag and drop designing. That way you don't need to learn any html code. You can go to download.com (run by cnet) and do a whole bunch of free trials on the software so you can figure out which one is easiest for you. Then go buy it off ebay.

Tips on designing ...
Use a less distracting background - go for a background with less colors and less pattern. You want to show off your sign work - not your neon background.
As far as the pictures go, it would be better to display them all tiled out side by side. I would get rid of the slideshow video things all together (I couldn't get any to load either, they took too long).
Think simple, clean, organized, and relevant.

swannn32

Graphic Designer
Here are some places to get free templates - even for commercial use - as long as you keep the links at the bottom.

I am also attaching a picture of the template "Pure Elegance" from the OS Templates website, with some of your pictures in it. It took all of 10 minutes to get to this point, so in a couple of hours you can have a pretty good looking page to start off with.
I am using FrontPage 2003 (which I got from ebay) to edit the templates.

http://www.os-templates.com/
http://www.opendesigns.org
http://www.oswd.org
http://www.free-css.com/

Attachments

• webtemplate.jpg
    webtemplate.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 135
  • webtemplate2.jpg
    webtemplate2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 120

signdaddy

RandyS - asuperiorsign.com

Randy,

Give us a call.

Here is an example of our work... http://www.theblacksheepbrand.com/

Our web development div did the site. Our entertainment div wrote and recorded the theme song in our own studios.

We work with very small companies, as well as large (Paramount Pictures, Sony Music, etc).

We're the web developers that other web developers call when they get in trouble.

Free initial consultation. You have nothing to lose by talking to us. 877.280.2424

Andrew

Doyle

Take Swannn's advice and use a template. They are free all over the internet, and will instantly improve your site 100%. I agree that a website should be a sales tool to entice customers to call you, but honestly, you would probably be better off with no website until you get something that looks a little more professional.

Look around online and you will find lots of free tutorials and tools to help you build your site. I just built my new website in Wordpress (free blogging software) and using a template (that I created) I ended up with a pretty good looking website (I am not a web designer by any stretch of the imagination). Using Wordpress, updating your site is VERY easy, and can be done from any computer that has internet access.