• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lincoln themed layout

Joe Diaz

This is a design I'm doing for a merchandise store that will target tourists traveling through town. They had no idea what they wanted theme-wise. I figured since Illinois is the Land of Lincoln having Abe be the mascot would be appropriate. I thought it would be a bit more friendly of a design if I could some how make him smiling a bit.

Illinois Store.jpg

Joe Diaz

you stole stella's L's!

LOL I'm sure the owner of Stella's wont mind. Although I hear he's kind of a jerk. :Big Laugh

I did the double "L"s that way on both designs, because I don't like the empty space that upper case L's create. This way I can pull them in closer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like it all. It really fits well together. :thumb:

One or two minor tweaks on human anatomy. You have his ears at different heights and sizes. Also, I don't understand the black line on HIS left side of the face ??

And you're right.... I hardly remember a photo with him smiling. It looks strange for him. :wink:

skyhigh

I hardly remember a photo with him smiling. It looks strange for him. :wink:

Probably trying to convey what a pleasant shopping experience he just had.
And all his items were with the expiration date.

Looks great Joe

Joe Diaz

I like it all. It really fits well together. :thumb:

One or two minor tweaks on human anatomy. You have his ears at different heights and sizes. Also, I don't understand the black line on HIS left side of the face ??

And you're right.... I hardly remember a photo with him smiling. It looks strange for him. :wink:

Lincoln had a crazy face. I worked off of one of his presidential portraits to get his ratios right. His ears were at different levels. They did a life cast and a death cast of his face. You can see it at the Lincoln museum in Springfield... which is a great museum by the way. The one side of his face began to sag as he got older, almost as if he was having some sort of drawn out stoke. At the time they thought it was caused by depression due to the war, but we now know that it was due to a condition called Microsomia.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2007-08-13-lincoln-facial-asymmetry_N.htm

The left side of his face is darker because I wanted it to be shaded. I think it gives his face more dimension.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lincoln had a crazy face. I worked off of one of his presidential portraits to get his ratios right. His ears were at different levels. They did a life cast and a death cast of his face. You can see it at the Lincoln museum in Springfield... which is a great museum by the way. The one side of his face began to sag as he got older, almost as if he was having some sort of drawn out stoke. At the time they thought it was caused by depression due to the war, but we now know that it was due to a condition called Microsomia.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2007-08-13-lincoln-facial-asymmetry_N.htm

The left side of his face is darker because I wanted it to be shaded. I think it gives his face more dimension.

Thanks, that was very interesting. :thumb: I always noticed he was kinda out of alignment, but I had no idea he had so any odd conditions. Still, you did him great justice and have him lookin' better than ever !!

idsignsil

We are here in Springfield and do Lincoln stuff all the time. His ears are at different heights, and all of the proportions look good. I think it looks great Joe!

Joe Diaz

Well, unfortunately it's a no-go on this one. The "committee" has spoken and they want to loose the Lincoln, replace that theme with the ugly shape of our state, some corn, and of course the colors of our high school... Orange and Blue.

Don't get me wrong, I'll somehow figure it out, but I thought this one turned out great, it will be sad to see it go unused. At least it will find a nice home in my portfolio.

ucmj22

Well, unfortunately it's a no-go on this one. The "committee" has spoken and they want to loose the Lincoln, replace that theme with the ugly shape of our state, some corn, and of course the colors of our high school... Orange and Blue.

Don't get me wrong, I'll somehow figure it out, but I thought this one turned out great, it will be sad to see it go unused. At least it will find a nice home in my portfolio.

blech. I hate state logos