• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lincoln themed layout

lexsigns

Well, unfortunately it's a no-go on this one. The "committee" has spoken and they want to loose the Lincoln, replace that theme with the ugly shape of our state, some corn, and of course the colors of our high school... Orange and Blue.

Don't get me wrong, I'll somehow figure it out, but I thought this one turned out great, it will be sad to see it go unused. At least it will find a nice home in my portfolio.
awww bummer-It amazes me when the "committee's" and the general public are presented with amazing designs and think they know what best and better... oh well... maybe someday we sign people can get on one of those committes..

Joe Diaz

Illinois Store ver2.jpg
Ok....
we've got our orange and blue,
we've got our corn,
we've got our state shape,
and we've got a name change.

Time to clock out for the day. I'm out. :toasting:

I did the double "L"s that way on both designs, because I don't like the empty space that upper case L's create. This way I can pull them in closer.

That's a great tip. :) Thanks. :thumb:

Yeah sometimes I wish we had a nice router so we could start having some real fun.

HDU is very forgiving to carve on. I've messed around with some sample pieces I picked up last year and it's amazing how fast you can cut and bevel letters with simple hand tools like jig saws, chisels, files, and sandpaper. No router necessary for a lot of it, although I'm sure a lot of people here would love to have their own CNC router. I just hope we can pick up a dimensional HDU job soon so I can put the hand tools to work for profit. Working by hand is so rewarding and fun.

Very nice design, by the way.

Oops! I just noticed you had to revise the original and go with a new approach. Unfortunately it no longer looks as touristy, eh? It's a shame. I like the original Lincoln design so much better. The blue and orange definitely breathe Illinois, but the corn makes it look more like a produce market. It sucks when the people that ultimately make the decisions make poor ones, which is what I think is happening here. Oh well. Like you said, at least it'll be great for the portfolio if they somehow don't see the merit in it.

ucmj22

View attachment 74664
Ok....
we've got our corn,

Nope, nope, nope. That state shape is not big enough, needs more cow bell!

Sorry, couldn't help it:Big Laugh

I don't know how you got that all in there.

qmr55

View attachment 74664
Ok....
we've got our corn,

Joe you're one of the only people I know who could have made that work lol only criticism I would have is to maybe lose the black shadow on the words "proud" and "marketplace". I think it makes it hard to read and throws focus off the main objective a little bit. Try it and see if it works! Just a suggestion, looks great!

Dave Drane

It is a shame that "know alls" get their way, but I must say the "L"s make it look like a bunch of "I"s all in a row.

Jillbeans

I think Old Abe might have been a really interesting person to know.
You are correct in going off his death mask, as all the photos of that time period were actually in reverse. Or the ambrotypes and tintypes anyway.
Love....Jill
PS I just realized you had to can the original (what a shame)
Man that corn looks excited to be from Illinois!

ForgeInc

Looks, great. My only comment is there are an awful light of line weights, highlights and shadows and it could possibly be simpler. Might also suggest the main corn leaf not be in front of the bottom foreground shape so there isn't as much tension where it interacts with that small type.

Killer work as always.

signswi

Don't you hate it when a superior concept dies by committee? Worst part of the job.

The "A P.R.O.U.D. PROJECT" at the bottom has too much space between the words, bring that closer. Otherwise...looks nice, just not as nice as the original concept.

Joe Diaz

They liked the changes but wanted to maybe add "Pontiac Illinois" and a rt.66 shield too. I said the only way that is making it on this design is if we substitute it for something else. There is already too much going on. One more element will kill this layout.

My contact asked me how I liked it. Usually, when the client ignores my advice multiple times and they ask me a question like that, I usually say "I like it if you like it". I think that's kind of what they want to hear and at a certain point it is no longer worthwhile for me to battle the client about their own image. But I really do want to see them make the right decision for this brand. So I told them I liked the first one better. I doubt that will make a difference though. I think in cases like this it's more important that everyone on the committee got to put their mark on it. So we'll see.

qmr55

I think in cases like this it's more important that everyone on the committee got to put their mark on it. So we'll see.

And that is why we end up with designs that need to incorporate 5, 6 or 7+ elements.......along with making it look good :rolleyes:

Good job Joe!

wildside

the original design would suit them much better as you already know, when i saw it first thought i had was a younger colonel sanders and was hungry for chicken all a sudden...:rock-n-roll:

on the committee making decisions... i read someone on here once say something about how we as professionals are the ones doing the design work and then having a person that has no idea of anything design related make a decision on what to use and not use, kind of defeats the purpose of having a professional do it.... i don't remember who said it, but they were much more elegant in the wording than my attempt to reiterate it right now

And that is why we end up with designs that need to incorporate 5, 6 or 7+ elements.......along with making it look good :rolleyes:

Good job Joe!

When I was a tattooer, that's what we would call "ten pounds of 'stuff' in a 5 pound bag. In cases like that, when design requirements got extreme and there were too many elements involved, we either told them to go with something simpler or go with something simpler. There is always that fine line where the design can start to weigh you down as an artist and make you look bad. When people's skin is involved it can become more of an ethical decision on the part of the artist. When you're dealing with graphic design, on the other hand, the customer probably doesn't care whether you think it's too much or not...unfortunately. As an artist you have to sell their image but make an image for yourself as well, and that can make design decisions like these difficult, for sure.

My thoughts are that "P.R.O.U.D." doesn't need to be repeated twice in the same design. Also, did you try replacing the green rectangle with the shape of the state? Just a thought. Maybe that will lighten up the load a bit if they will go for those suggestions.

Joe Diaz

My thoughts are that "P.R.O.U.D." doesn't need to be repeated twice in the same design.
Totally agree, and was suggested.

Also, did you try replacing the green rectangle with the shape of the state? Just a thought. Maybe that will lighten up the load a bit if they will go for those suggestions.
With all the stuff that would be in front of it, it wouldn't be recognizable as the shape of our state. It would just be this weird lopsided shape that throws the design's balance way off. Weird shape I could deal with if it were a bit more symmetrical and made a bit more sense from a layout perspective. Since this design is meant to attract travelers, especially those from overseas, I wonder if it will ever be anything more than some weird shape to them.

I made the state really small like it is mainly so it won't compete with the more important content, yet still be included in the design thus making who ever suggested it be included happy. I wouldn't have included it at all and I originally didn't.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The first one is great. It takes about .025 seconds to read it and process the text and you "get it" immediately.

The second one is also great considering what they had you cram in there. It definitely takes longer to read and understand though...maybe they'll realize that and pick your first design.

Nice work.