• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Latex printer

Robert M

One of my tech guys heard the rumor it is coming soon. Anyone have more info? Artbot you know anything?

ProWraps

with HP's success and the green movement, you can expect every major manufacturer to jump on the latex band wagon.

artbot

i've also read here and there that aftermarket latex inks are in development for piezo/epson printers. possibly with longer post heating dry times? who knows. but i'm sure that if you are in the ink business you are not sitting back and watching all of your solvent chemistry/stock slowly become obsolete.

signswi

I hope so, the market needs all the competition it can get. The HP equipment isn't all about the ink though it just runs and runs without much fuss and Mimaki is playing catchup on that front as well. At the price point the HPs sell at it makes more sense to buy three instead of one Mimaki and even if they break down faster (Mimaki does build better) who cares, you've had three in production the whole time.

If Mimaki can produce a latex roll to roll that is faster than the HP and is up to normal Mimaki build quality with extremely low maintenance -- and only costs maybe double a similarly sized HP -- they have a product.

artbot

six process colors too. something that should have been done 12 years ago. lm lc channels are probably dropped for red and blue, or possibly orange and green (which are a waste of time considering red and blue are the two most common commercial logo colors). i'm thinking with all this latex coming out about running latex on this flatbed i'm building. vacuum down, IR in the front, IR in the back sounds easier to implement on a flatbed than a roll to roll. i wish these companies would obsess more about ink longevity. it's like they are just bypassing it as an extra unnecessary expense. water based inks are up to hundreds of years, latex is water based, surely they could glean some of the resins/pigments used and deliver a "harsh environment" latex version of these inks.

Rooster

Any word on what heads they're using in these machines?

Never mind the latex machine, the SUV model with the UV drying on the solvent inks seems pretty wild too. Although I'd rather have the durability of solvent compared to the UV ink lifespan.

Robert M

So it's true

I hear the new printers will be at the ISA Orlando show along with a print- cut system. I guess the white ink option is the real big news. Maybe latex white will not have all the issues of solvent whites.

Robert M

Roland

I wonder about Roland also. They seem to be very slow these days as far as advancements in their ink jet printers. Mimaki is currently using the DX5 print head, and Mutoh is using the next generation DX6 (or DX7 depending on who you talk to) last time I looked the Roland Versa Art series was still using the old DX4 heads.

Robert M

Mimaki

More info

Ricoh print heads
Starts shipping first half or 2012
true 64" printer
White ink for sure
needs 110v

that all for now