• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Latex printer

rjssigns

How much will the Mimaki heads cost, and are they user replaceable like HP? Two big factors in my book since I started looking at printers.

Freese

How much will the Mimaki heads cost, and are they user replaceable like HP? Two big factors in my book since I started looking at printers.
I doubt they will be user replacable.

Nothing in the past has ever indicated their heads will be any different....I imagine print heads will be less of an issue now as latex doesn't dry or clog heads like solvent does.

Robert M

Ricoh heads

The new Mimaki head is an all steel industrial head with a 100 billion shot life. The current Mimaki heads have a 6.5 billion shot count life. Of course you can get more out of an Epson head, just using these numbers to compare. So it looks like if you take care of the heads they should last the life of the printer.

toodark

Nothing in the past has ever indicated their heads will be any different....I imagine print heads will be less of an issue now as latex doesn't dry or clog heads like solvent does.

X3, but still would be nice to see the easy of head changing like the HP's

artbot

an expensive long life head is never as good as a cheap short life head. you can not account for head strikes, users dripping a bit of ink in a bad place and frying the head, long term head degradation. the head should be disposable.

TheSnowman

All I know is my JV3 is now 7 years old and still going strong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mimaki if I ever upgrade. Not sure that day will ever come w/ all the subs I now have access to, but if it does...I have no reason I wouldn't buy a mimaki.

Robert M

SUV printer

Artbot

did you see their new SUV printer on the Mimaki japan site. They point out that with a solvent UV ink you get the bite of the solvents and the instant cure of the UV.

jhanson

It's funny that they would release that at the same time as a latex/resin ink. It's almost the polar opposite when it comes to the environment... not only does it contain hazardous monomers, they're suspended in a lovely toxic solvent base!

Then again, normal UV ink is no picnic either.

artbot

i bet that SUV ink would also work well with a home built post cure set up. chemistry is always more complex than mechanical engineering. thanks to mimaki they are are really going after the ink side of the equation instead of just making another printer.

rjssigns

an expensive long life head is never as good as a cheap short life head. you can not account for head strikes, users dripping a bit of ink in a bad place and frying the head, long term head degradation. the head should be disposable.

This.:goodpost:

Rooster

If anybody gets a chance to have a look at this thing, could you please check and see where the white ink recirculates from? The video posted shows the last bit of line not included in the recirculation and I'd like to know how far from the head the white ink stops recirculating.

I'd also like to know whether or not the white ink will impact the speed the printer runs at. IE: Does it need to run slower when using the white ink portion.

signswi

JV3 print heads aren't "user replaceable" either but yet half the shops on the forums with JV3s have done just that.

Not that I ever want to do it again now that I'm spoiled by HP...

Dave Rowland

If anybody gets a chance to have a look at this thing, could you please check and see where the white ink recirculates from? The video posted shows the last bit of line not included in the recirculation and I'd like to know how far from the head the white ink stops recirculating.
This is the Issue with the UV AGFA Anapurna M2050! last bit not in circulation and it is an issue

stoura19

Notice execute

I board displaying a message on my plotter JV33-160BS
the message is: DROP.POScorrect
I seen how to settle it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I board displaying a message on my plotter JV33-160BS
the message is: DROP.POScorrect
I seen how to settle it.

I'm guessing there might be a language barrier here because this has nothing at all to do with the new latex printer Mimaki just introduced which is what this thread is about. Also linking offsite pictures is not allowed here but even at that no one is going to be able to see a picture hosted on your personal blackberry anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rooster

I got word this morning that the replacement cost of the "permanent" Mimaki print heads in this new machine are $4500 per head to replace (in Canada anyhow).

Mimaki's guarantee is one year on them.