• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need a logo designed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locals Find!

Well I guess I overstated, newspaper advertising is only down 48% in the last five years, with no sign of a comeback-

Combined online and print newspaper ad revenues fell 6.9 percent to $5.9 billion in Q2, marking the 20th consecutive decline for the industry, according to the latest figures from the Newspaper Association of America.

The consecutive decreases began in Q306, when combined print and online ad dollars declined a mere 1.5 percent to $11.7 billion. Since that point, newspaper ad dollars have fallen 48.8 percent, and there is no sign of a comeback.

Here is what wikipedia says on the subject:
The primary source of newspaper income is advertising – in the form of "classifieds" or inserted advertising circulars – rather than circulation income. However, since the late 1990s, this revenue source has been directly challenged by Web sites like eBay (for sales of secondhand items), Monster.com (jobs), and Craigslist (everything).

When we need yard sign installers we throw an ad on craigslist naming the town, route size and we now have a database of over 2,600 weekend job applicants who have filled out a 24 question online application from a link in the craigslist ad. If we ran newspaper ads they would either call or fax and it would eat up a lot more time on our end. We also wouldn't get all the questions we need answered, such as do you have a valid drivers license, insurance, a cell phone and internet access (our drivers need to reachable and able to do a weekly report online).

While I feel bad for people in the newspaper industry, I love the internet and what it can do for my business.

I wouldn't use wikipedia as a source for anything. You do know anyone can submit anything to wikipedia and its not fact checked, right? I go on their all the time and post conspiracy theory things just to see how many people will repost it as gospel all over the internet.

Your business model may not benefit from Newspaper ads however, many businesses still do. I find the majority of my grocery coupons in the paper. Online coupons really are a scam since you have to print them yourself it really eliminates most of the savings after ink and paper costs. Most companies are realizing this and moving their ads back to newspapers and magazines. The internet only can go so far yet. Maybe in another 50 years we will be past it bought I really think the nostalgia of ink on paper that has lasted over 1000 years will keep us in its grasp.

You can't read the internet by candle light when the power is out and the cell towers are knocked down from the hurricane.

I wouldn't use wikipedia as a source for anything. You do know anyone can submit anything to wikipedia and its not fact checked, right? I go on their all the time and post conspiracy theory things just to see how many people will repost it as gospel all over the internet.

Your business model may not benefit from Newspaper ads however, many businesses still do. I find the majority of my grocery coupons in the paper. Online coupons really are a scam since you have to print them yourself it really eliminates most of the savings after ink and paper costs. Most companies are realizing this and moving their ads back to newspapers and magazines. The internet only can go so far yet. Maybe in another 50 years we will be past it bought I really think the nostalgia of ink on paper that has lasted over 1000 years will keep us in its grasp.

You can't read the internet by candle light when the power is out and the cell towers are knocked down from the hurricane.

Which part of my quote from wikipedia do you disagree with?

"The primary source of newspaper income is advertising – in the form of "classifieds" or inserted advertising circulars – rather than circulation income. However, since the late 1990s, this revenue source has been directly challenged by Web sites like eBay (for sales of secondhand items), Monster.com (jobs), and Craigslist (everything)."

WildWestDesigns

digital just does not have the same feel as opening up a book and being able to idly by flip through the pages, feel the surface of the paper under your finger tips and the ink of the printed words ripple under your touch. Books are sexy and sexy will never go away.

Don't forget the social aspect of it as well. Going to the bookstore helps feed or need to be around other people. Rather you talk to them or not, it still feeds that desire to be a part of a group. Like going to the movies.

My parents still prefer physical books, even though they are big time into the Kindle readers(as far as I know, they have gotten every version out there at one time or another) and the iPads. I think that generation as a whole still prefers books, even though they might also have e-readers. My generation probably leans more towards digital as a whole, but could go either way. Now my kids, more then likely all digital. I doubt kids in general know how to even use a physical dictionary. I know they don't know how to use microfische, some don't even know what that is.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Well I guess I overstated, newspaper advertising is only down 48% in the last five years, with no sign of a comeback-

Combined online and print newspaper ad revenues fell 6.9 percent to $5.9 billion in Q2, marking the 20th consecutive decline for the industry, according to the latest figures from the Newspaper Association of America.

The consecutive decreases began in Q306, when combined print and online ad dollars declined a mere 1.5 percent to $11.7 billion. Since that point, newspaper ad dollars have fallen 48.8 percent, and there is no sign of a comeback.

Here is what wikipedia says on the subject:
The primary source of newspaper income is advertising – in the form of "classifieds" or inserted advertising circulars – rather than circulation income. However, since the late 1990s, this revenue source has been directly challenged by Web sites like eBay (for sales of secondhand items), Monster.com (jobs), and Craigslist (everything).

When we need yard sign installers we throw an ad on craigslist naming the town, route size and we now have a database of over 2,600 weekend job applicants who have filled out a 24 question online application from a link in the craigslist ad. If we ran newspaper ads they would either call or fax and it would eat up a lot more time on our end. We also wouldn't get all the questions we need answered, such as do you have a valid drivers license, insurance, a cell phone and internet access (our drivers need to reachable and able to do a weekly report online).

While I feel bad for people in the newspaper industry, I love the internet and what it can do for my business.

I love how you're basing that as a whole ... local basis is the key ... lets take the Amarillo globe news for example ... their advertising this year alone is up 29%. You tell me how as a whole news papers are going under when locally people still pick up their daily to flip through.

Local and global are two different things. sorry, your theory is flawed, internet only gets the cheapest of the customers. you can keep them.

Pro Image

High Impact needs a logo designed......

Where in the hell did the newspaper come from and what do they have to do with his logo.....???

Way to highjack a thread.....

jkdbjj

Fred, is this cool???

I'm not happy to see you keep posting this drivel, how about next time you keep your referral number off this inane b.s. like a common spammer. If someone is interested in a competition for a logo idea in order to get 114 pieces of garbage and the subsequent revisions to make them half way edible to the eyes, they will ask about them.
Wow, am I the ONLY one who caught this? Did that poster REALLY put a link on this forum with a referral number in hopes of getting business that way?
Is that legal within Signs101 rules? Fred? Seems awful sleazy if that is what just happened. Good catch Tyrant!:help

HulkSmash

Wow, am I the ONLY one who caught this? Did that poster REALLY put a link on this forum with a referral number in hopes of getting business that way?
Is that legal within Signs101 rules? Fred? Seems awful sleazy if that is what just happened. Good catch Tyrant!:help

Didn't you do this EXACT thing........TWICE????????
LMAO

jkdbjj

Didn't you do this EXACT thing........TWICE????????
LMAO
You really are kind of dumb, I mean no offense. Just simply observation. You like to start crap, you are a loser, kinda sorta, and I am not the first to point this out.

Now to your comment. I have never posted a link to a website that would pay me anything if you click it. You have said I did it twice. So be a good boy and post the link I submitted that does such a thing.

If on the other hand you are trying to be clever and are referring to the logo debacle I put myself in, how in the world is that the same as me posting a link to some site that would pay me for referrals? Despite what you may think of me, and I hardly care. At least I can post legible and coherent words.

You remind me of one of those kids, that tries to be cool and picks on others, but never realizes, you actually aren't cool. Good luck with that!

HulkSmash

Wait, who's dumb?

Is that legal within Signs101 rules? Fred? Seems awful sleazy if that is what just happened. Good catch Tyrant!

You're raging because I'm calling you out, just like you did? Calling on Fred for back up? Asking him if it's ok? Who's telling the teacher here?
I'd say you're the one lacking chromosomes.

As for my coolness
I'm actually really cool. Look me up. Nice try on the childish insults again. We already know what you're like, no need to deface your own name even more. Based on your business reviews, I'm not the only one who thinks that.

MatthewTimothy

that site is a site that shows you get what you pay for. The only positive thing to a site like that is it completely eliminates the horrible designers out there that call themselves a graphic designer because they read a book or saw a tutorial. I do however highly disagree the low balling price they pay and believe that designers should stand up for pricing structures along those lines.

qmr55

You really are kind of dumb, I mean no offense. Just simply observation. You like to start crap, you are a loser, kinda sorta, and I am not the first to point this out.

What grade are we in here? Oh wait that's right we're not little kids anymore............................

HulkSmash

What grade are we in here? Oh wait that's right we're not little kids anymore............................

It's OK. He's taking attention where he can. I guess he lacks it at home.

I take, and so does every single person on this forum, everything he says with a grain of sand.

jkdbjj

As for my coolness
I'm actually really cool. Look me up. Nice try on the childish insults again. We already know what you're like, no need to deface your own name even more. Based on your business reviews, I'm not the only one who thinks that.
my business reviews? So your stalking my business now? I have good reviews and a long enough list of testimonials that I am not worried about whatever you have found. Though I did have my old boss, have someone post some crap that Googled actually agreed was bogus and took it down.

Here is the thing. I had to screw up for people to stop liking me. You have a host of people on here already that just don't like you cause you act like a douche so much, you constantly put others down, and you are just nasty.

There is old wisdom about people that have to constantly put other people down. To sum it up, they are compensating for something. So what is it you are compensating for?

Doesn't matter what you say, you know you are not liked by people on here, and it is people like you that keep others from posting openly on this site, cause they don't want the vomit that comes from your responses.

Again good luck with all that!

MatthewTimothy

jkdbjj, im sorry but Colorado does have a means to be angry. You may have NOT out right said you were using X site but you were very misleading, manipulative, and were caught in many lies. You still havent even answered why you said you were happy with the service than you post on here you weren't. So to actually try and act the way you are going is pretty balzy...

Border

So how's that logo design project coming??? (referring to the original post that this thread used to be about)
LOL
Another thread trashed

Status
Not open for further replies.