• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo... Critique?

mgriff

Switched from mostly screen printing to a full time mobile sign shop. Thoughts on the new logo?

Attachments

• Square Logo raster-01-01.jpg
    Square Logo raster-01-01.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Full Logo Raster-01.jpg
    Full Logo Raster-01.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 153

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm having a problem with some letters being rounded and others being squared off, while the matching insides don't match at all. The harmony or consistency is totally lacking.

Not to mention, your thick thin approach is all over the place. Again, no consistency.

DesireeM

It would help to know your reasoning behind choosing those fonts, those colors,outlines,closely spaced letters etc...

Without a clear concept a logo that is made of text only is just text; not a logo at all...

mgriff

Thanks Gino

Not to mention, your thick thin approach is all over the place. Again, no consistency.

Could you explain a little more on this please? I am interested in how to better handle this issue but do not completely understand what you mean.

mgriff

It would help to know your reasoning behind choosing those fonts, those colors,outlines,closely spaced letters etc...

Without a clear concept a logo that is made of text only is just text; not a logo at all...

For the colors being red, black and white... This was the original color pallet of my business (basic, I know) but it has proven itself to capture the attention of buyers and stand out in a crowd. Also, all of my business vehicles are white and black in color.

The design is honestly a product of numerous hours of sitting in front of a monitor and mixing and matching fonts and styles. I certainly do not claim to be a master at design. There is not a concrete reason why the design is exactly what it is. I made a few variations and presented them to several people (18 to be exact) and this design was the most popular. I am aware that it has vast potential for improvement and may end up being completely different, which I am ok with.

The basics: My daily business operates out of a 24' enclosed trailer which serves as a mobile sign shop. I also have a small warehouse space used for screen printing, embroidery, sublimation, and doing larger sign jobs.

I hope this is the information you were asking for, if not I will fill in whatever gaps there may be.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In most type faces where one stroke is greater than the other, it's the up & down strokes which are heavy, leaving the sideways strokes thinner. While one stroke is different than the other, they are consistent when going the same direction. Yours are not. Your 'A" has a different size stroke, making it look weak. The 'K' has no thin strokes. The rule of thumb is... all first strokes when needing a thin or thick will all be treated the same, with the exception of the word 'MAN'. Those letters follow the opposite and are the exception to the rule. This exception rule, sometimes has some extra bearing on the kerning factor, which is being discussed in another thread as we speak.

peavey123

Hey Mate, Few things to start.

-Keep your logo to two fonts max.
-Avoid outlines that are darker than the letter.
-Don't ever use a black outline on red pleaasseee. :)
-I don't like the spacing specifically between the E & A. It's the font..

Does your company have to be called reaktor? No matter what I see it as reak-tor. reactor flows much better.

Anyways, I'm guessing you just want some better font choices. So here are some you can find on Myfonts.com

Itc Machine - is a nicer version of the font you used.
Aviano - futuristic
Press Gothic
Accelerator - Futuristic
Insignia
Dharma Gothic P

Take a look at a few of those. Try your initial design in black and white only. then once you have the form add colour. Good luck.

Other option. Pay me to design you up a logo. :p

player

I agree about the name. I was wondering why you would want your name to sound like wreak... as in smells bad.

DesireeM

For the colors being red, black and white... This was the original color pallet of my business (basic, I know) but it has proven itself to capture the attention of buyers and stand out in a crowd. Also, all of my business vehicles are white and black in color.

The design is honestly a product of numerous hours of sitting in front of a monitor and mixing and matching fonts and styles. I certainly do not claim to be a master at design. There is not a concrete reason why the design is exactly what it is. I made a few variations and presented them to several people (18 to be exact) and this design was the most popular. I am aware that it has vast potential for improvement and may end up being completely different, which I am ok with.

The basics: My daily business operates out of a 24' enclosed trailer which serves as a mobile sign shop. I also have a small warehouse space used for screen printing, embroidery, sublimation, and doing larger sign jobs.

I hope this is the information you were asking for, if not I will fill in whatever gaps there may be.

This helps. It seems to me like a text based logo is your best option if you choose to design it yourself. Following a few guidelines will help you choose font pairings that might work better together. This article is a good one to read for that purpose...http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/a-beginners-guide-to-pairing-fonts--webdesign-5706

I agree with what was said above. The fonts you are using are not your friends. They are clunky and sloppy and don't work well together either. Try some of the suggested fonts, read the article above and try again. i think you have the right attitude about this and will eventually come up with something that looks professional at the very least.

TimToad

Here is a simple way to use text only if you like and have it appear more like a logo icon. I agree with everyone else about the need for consistency. Don't be afraid of using even a single font but in different weights and kerning. you can accomplish a lot with a little.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Reaktor.jpg
    Reaktor.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 243

mgriff

I agree about the name. I was wondering why you would want your name to sound like wreak... as in smells bad.

The name is pronounced the same phonetically as reactor. I chose the off spelling for two reasons. First, I was looking for a word that did not have an associative meaning in the graphics industry that I could build my business around and have division from others, to stand out if you will. Second, the price to purchase "www.ReactorGraphics.com" was and is still just shy of $4,000 and I certainly did not have the means to spend that amount of money on a domain name.

GoodPeopleFlags

I thought it was pronounced like "Reek-tor". It's especially hard to read on it's side like that. "Reactor" isn't bad but please go with the correct spelling. Maybe "www.reactorsigns" is available, or something else like that.

player

The name is pronounced the same phonetically as reactor. I chose the off spelling for two reasons. First, I was looking for a word that did not have an associative meaning in the graphics industry that I could build my business around and have division from others, to stand out if you will. Second, the price to purchase "www.ReactorGraphics.com" was and is still just shy of $4,000 and I certainly did not have the means to spend that amount of money on a domain name.

Well for me it was Wreak-tor. I though who would want to have the opportunity to be thought of as smelly graphics.

I would not base my business name on the availability of xxx.com. It is easy to come up with something available as a .com, or there are now something like 200 .xxx available.

DesireeM

I'm surprised that anyone is mistaking the pronunciation of the name...I do see it now that it's been explained a couple of times but I just can't see how anyone would assume it's meant to be anything but Reactor...if only because of how horrible it would be if it were pronounced as "Reek-tor". Also since "Reak" isn't actually a word.

But I guess it's roughly the same leap from "Reak to Reek" as it is from "Reak.. to Reac.."
Probably best to avoid the possible interpretations and just spell the word properly.

mgriff

Unfortunately as for change the name and spelling are locked in as is. There are several years worth of customers and marketing attached to the current spelling not to mention the legalities of licenses and LLC paperwork.

DesireeM

Well for me it was Wreak-tor. I though who would want to have the opportunity to be thought of as smelly graphics.

I would not base my business name on the availability of xxx.com. It is easy to come up with something available as a .com, or there are now something like 200 .xxx available.

"Wreak" means "To cause", not "Smells Bad". Like Wreak havoc....also not good for business though.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I agree with all the other comments, but really gets me I why you would turn the main name of your business on end? Makes it really hard to read especially with that font or any other.

mgriff

I'm surprised that anyone is mistaking the pronunciation of the name...I do see it now that it's been explained a couple of times but I just can't see how anyone would assume it's meant to be anything but Reactor...if only because of how horrible it would be if it were pronounced as "Reek-tor". Also since "Reak" isn't actually a word.

But I guess it's roughly the same leap from "Reak to Reek" as it is from "Reak.. to Reac.."
Probably best to avoid the possible interpretations and just spell the word properly.

The vast majority of the general public I deal with pronounce it correctly. Some even go on to comment on the unique spelling. Maybe 3-4 people a week, out of a hundred or so, have a problem with the pronunciation. When corrected, most shrug it off and follow suit but of course there are the one percent that get butt hurt and tell me all about how they think I should change it. Its become quite amusing over time.

mgriff

"Wreak" means "To cause", not "Smells Bad". Like Wreak havoc....also not good for business though.

You are correct. The associated tag line for the business which has been printed on several of our apparel designs is "Cause a Reaction". After all the main purpose behind putting up signage is to cause a reaction from the public, to make them purchase what you have to sell.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Our name is so simple, but yet, the vast majority of people pronounce it wrong. Either they're really frickin stoopid or just plain dumb. But ya know...... as long as they're calling me, I'll answer to just about anything. Just don't call me 'late' for supper.......:rolleyes:

Yeah, if and when we correct someone ,they'll say wha....... I don't get it ?? Why do you spell it like that ?? Ohhhh, now I see.