• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Out with the old . . . in with the new

Jeff

Old design . . .

BC Sheriff old design jpeg 1-6-15.jpg

New design . . .

BC Sheriff new design jpeg 1-6-15.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yippee, now I can see it.

I think it's a vast improvement, except for one thing. The 'Call' being in a casual, just takes away from the fact that it's an emergency number. Regardless if you know it or not, it just doesn't sit right with me. Aesthetically it works, but just not the emphasis.

:thumb:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I would have taken the black swoosh into the front panel by itself and left the badge unbroken on the door panel

Yippee, now I can see it.

I think it's a vast improvement, except for one thing. The 'Call' being in a casual, just takes away from the fact that it's an emergency number. Regardless if you know it or not, it just doesn't sit right with me. Aesthetically it works, but just not the emphasis.
:thumb:

That was exactly my first thought also. To me, using a casual typeface for a message of priority does seem a bit peculiar. It looks somewhat aesthetically pleasing, but out of place at the same time. Leaving it to say 911 alone would suffice.

All around it's a really nice layout, but I think I would have gone with a beveled look on the SHERIFF lettering. Adding a highlighted bevel to this would help to up the contrast, make it a little more interesting, and a lot more three dimensional. The overall flow of the design looks great on this body style.

TimToad

Overall, its a vast improvement from the previous design.

I'm also in the drop the Call text camp. Its not a plumbing outfit coming to roto root your septic tank.

As a former 911 dispatcher, brevity is crucial when one is flustered or a caller's nerves are shot. The 911 could be a bit bigger and for some reason I'd love to see the Boone County right justified over the word sheriff. That double space you have between those two words just leaves me hanging onto Boone too long without a nice flow into County.

I'm not sure in fiscally conservative Indiana, if they'd justify any kind of convex or bevel treatment for the word Sheriff, but it sure would look cool if they did.

phototec

Nice Job, I like it - BIG improvement!

So, is this all cut vinyl?

Did you use reflective?

Details please..........

Jeff

OK, a little background.

In 1998 our Sheriff contacted me and wanted to know if I could come up with a new look for the county squad cars. Their current cars had a single black (brown) reflective stripe with a gold reflective stripe above and below it along the bottom of the cars with a “badge / patch” graphic on the front doors. A former officer applied them.

The catch with regards to the new design, someone inadvertently ordered (1) case of the 3” black reflective instead of (1) roll. (12) 50yrd rolls of 3” black reflective at my disposal. “We need to come up with a design using this tape . . . we don’t want to waste it”

So the “old” design shown is what I came up with. Many, many, many of the first cars striping was all hand cut out of that plethora of 3”rolls.

This past December we had a changing of the guard. Our Sheriff of 38 years retired and the new Sheriff inquired about a new design. The two guide lines I was given. (Along with some reference photos) A large badge and large “Sheriff” is what was requested.

I continue to find it interesting that when you post photos of finished jobs here, people suggest changes. It’s finished . . . this is “their” new look.

I don’t mind critiques . . . as they say there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I think some here just look for something to pick a part. Plus fortunately we all have our own tastes . . . that is what makes the world go around.

That said I will respond / explain some of the thoughts here.

The “Call”; I submitted (3) layouts (2) with a more “professional” look, this one was unanimously selected. Personally I tried to push to have it eliminated altogether, I think it is unneeded.
___________________________________________________________________________________

“I would have taken the black swoosh into the front panel by itself and left the badge unbroken on the door panel.”

"I'd love to see the Boone County right justified over the word sheriff. That double space you have between those two words just leaves me hanging onto Boone too long without a nice flow into County."

They wanted the badge and Sheriff as big as possible, no way to do that and avoid the body panel gaps. I will be using this design on several different vehicles. While designing this I had the layout on a Dodge Charger, Durango and Caravan, along with a Ford Explorer and GMC truck. All of which this design may end up on.

The double space helps avoid the gap between the doors throughout the different models and sides of the vehicles. The different configurations and sizes of doors and fenders make it impossible to avoid gap for the badge area while keeping things “big”.

“I think I would have gone with a beveled look on the SHERIFF lettering. Adding a highlighted bevel to this would help to up the contrast, make it a little more interesting, and a lot more three dimensional.”

“So, is this all cut vinyl?
Did you use reflective?”

This is cut vinyl (Oracal 951 brown / 3M yellow reflective)

I’m very confused as to how a beveled edge would “help up the contrast” I still prefer cut vinyl on these cars, (many are on the road here longer the I think printed graphics would last) and all it takes is a search online or a simple look around to see there are more than enough Police cars on the road that are hideous with fades, poor layouts and really bad color choices.

I know I said we all have our own tastes, but there are so many I see that are flat out illegible.

Again, I am not opposed to the critiques but this is a finished job. Approved by the Sheriff department and receiving great reviews from the local citizens . . . I can live with that.

Thanks for the positive comments as well !

Jeff

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're happy, they're happy and you have money in the bank.

If you took exception to my remark, I'm sorry. Whether or not a piece is a finished work of art or something in the process of it..... I never thought constructive criticism was bad. While it might not serve you any longer, it certainly will help the many people looking at this thread down the road from getting some food for thought before they do something they might want to re-consider.
Take yourself out of the equation and your thread becomes a study workshop. Kinda neat, if ya ask me. :rock-n-roll:

Jeff

No exception taken Gino and I don't mind constructive criticism. It seems as though sometimes (not just with this example) people respond as if you should go back and change the finished product. I have stood back and criticized (second guessed) myself on this job . . . kind of waiting to see if anyone will point out what I question.

No money in the bank yet . . .(7) more to do.:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No exception taken Gino and I don't mind constructive criticism. It seems as though sometimes (not just with this example) people respond as if you should go back and change the finished product. I have stood back and criticized (second guessed) myself on this job . . . kind of waiting to see if anyone will point out what I question.

No money in the bank yet . . .(7) more to do.:smile:

Now there's a move I think you might want to think about for a minute, whether it's present policy or whatever. No one gets vehicles out... without paying for them, be it the local police, fire department or the mayor.

We have some companies we deal with, who will pay in 10 days or less, but no one gets to wait until a whole fleet is finished. Anyone.... and I mean anyone doing a fleet will pay a deposit of 50% up front and as each vehicle is serviced, it is billed and payment is due. Whether you give them 10 days, 30 days..... but not until the job is finished.

If this is your business method of operating, so be it, but it is rather foolish to wait on something that could potentially go on for a long time. Inclement weather, sickness, too busy and the list can go on. Just too many factors to get in the way.

We just did 5 trucks for a customer on Monday and they finished picking them up Tuesday. They have 10 day terms with us, have been a longtime faithful customer and we'll have that check by the middle of next week. The tab is only $2,275, but I know I'll have it next week. We're doing a store remodeling yesterday, today and tomorrow. We got 1/2 up front last week and we'll put the bill in tomorrow and we'll have our check Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. That one is around $10,000. Nothing for them to pay immediately, but we show incentive, by giving them a choice and they always choose to take the least expensive way. with a municipality, regardless of their payment schedule, they must act on discount terms. I think it's the law. Therefore any police or municipal work we do, we get paid right away. The Fire Departments are different, but we have an understanding there, too.

This is not a tongue lashing or a belittling, but something for you to think about and others which might be conducting business the same way. No one can re-set the rules after you make them your policy. Should you choose to ignore your own policies to get more business, then you might hafta forego certain things, but stand your ground if your work can withstand it, too. :thumb:

Ponto

Nice Work!!!.... and interesting thread. I often see confusion over the remarks that are sent and received when people post their remarks......there is a big difference between subjective and objective comments --- both in how they are sent and how they are received. This is just a symptom of communicating via such a format, but it does provide a mild form of entertainment.....................JP

Jeff

I sort of mislead with my "No money in the bank" comment. I did, as usual, receive 1/2 down for these cars. I was referring to the balance at the end, as it is obviously most of the profit from the job.

Fonts;

Sheriff & 911- Futura Extra Black Condensed BT

Boone County - Swiss721 Ex Bt Bold

Call - Signfonts A & S Bogie regular / modified

I’m very confused as to how a beveled edge would “help up the contrast” I still prefer cut vinyl on these cars, (many are on the road here longer the I think printed graphics would last) and all it takes is a search online or a simple look around to see there are more than enough Police cars on the road that are hideous with fades, poor layouts and really bad color choices

This is what I was referring to.

attachment.php

Obviously not this font, but just this idea. This is my own personal preference.

Attachments

• Sheriff.jpg
    Sheriff.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 199