• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Out with the old . . . in with the new

Ponto

I guess if you view a simple two color gradient as a 'gimmick', then yes.
.... just spent a few minutes checking out your "portfolio" since you've been kind enough to supply a link .....hmmmmmm,.... here's a thought.....you may want to re evaluate your thought process before submitting your comments / critiques...........JP

.... just spent a few minutes checking out your "portfolio" since you've been kind enough to supply a link .....hmmmmmm,.... here's a thought.....you may want to re evaluate your thought process before submitting your comments / critiques...........JP

For example, what don't you like?

Ponto

For example, what don't you like?

...let's start with these monumental efforts.....perhaps you could offer them up for comparison sake.........JP

Attachments

• 3565242.jpg
    3565242.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 160
  • 3565250.jpg
    3565250.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 162
...let's start with these monumental efforts.....perhaps you could offer them up for comparison sake.........JP

You do realize that some designs and layouts are determined and/or submitted solely by the customer, correct? At the time, we wanted a fair amount of variety to show potential customers on our portfolio, but with our business being in it's infancy, our options were limited and this page does need updated in a very bad way, as you've so kindly brought to my attention. The two images in question were entirely dictated by the customer and I had no creative input, not that it would have mattered. :notworthy:

united serif :thumb:

Technically, it is a font I designed freehand based entirely on United Serif, so they are VERY similar in almost every aspect. The idea was to create a collegiate style font with the option of bevels. While I could have designed the bevels for use with an existing United typeface, I figured if I was going to go to this amount of work to create a beveled font, I may as well draw the letter forms freehand and make it 'my own'. So that's pretty much what you see here.

Here is an original one I designed from scratch, albeit I apparently have no business designing anything.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sheriff.jpg
    Sheriff.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 173

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thumb: Looks good.

I understand about the customer sometimes dictating what goes on. Remember my thread about the words.... El Prose ??

attachment.php

Maybe you guys could start another thread about font choices and decide which is best over there instead of being a :thread

:dog42​

Attachments

• elprose.jpg
    elprose.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 207
Holy Ship did this thread get off track. Maybe you guys should start comparing how much you can bench press after? Or how far you can pee?

Nice cop car Jeff, I dig it.

That is all.

Hey, I feel like an arse as it is for helping to derail this thread, but I'm not the one who started it in that direction. My mistake was responding to the questions that were addressed to me, for whatever reason. :banghead:

Ponto

you do realize that some designs and layouts are determined and/or submitted solely by the customer, correct? At the time, we wanted a fair amount of variety to show potential customers on our portfolio, but with our business being in it's infancy, our options were limited and this page does need updated in a very bad way, as you've so kindly brought to my attention. The two images in question were entirely dictated by the customer and i had no creative input, not that it would have mattered. :notworthy:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................jp

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If one of ya, don't stop it, this poor guy is gonna get his thread locked down, unless someone from up above deletes this stuff, then it's all for naught.

ask me how I know about this sh!t...................... :popcorn:

Not taking sides here, but it's quite obvious this has nothing to do with the thread anymore.​

Ponto

If one of ya, don't stop it, this poor guy is gonna get his thread locked down, unless someone from up above deletes this stuff, then it's all for naught.

ask me how I know about this sh!t...................... :popcorn:

Not taking sides here, but it's quite obvious this has nothing to do with the thread anymore.​
[/QUOTE

.... you're so right,.....the entertainment value expired a few posts ago........carry on............JP

Jeff

Technically, it is a font I designed freehand based entirely on United Serif, so they are VERY similar in almost every aspect. The idea was to create a collegiate style font with the option of bevels. While I could have designed the bevels for use with an existing United typeface, I figured if I was going to go to this amount of work to create a beveled font, I may as well draw the letter forms freehand and make it 'my own'. So that's pretty much what you see here.

Here is an original one I designed from scratch, albeit I apparently have no business designing anything.

attachment.php

First, when I read “beveled look”, I thought you were referring to the outline being beveled. There was recently a lengthy discussion on another forum regarding the name of the letter style you displayed. I have known that to be called a convex letter.

I am a big fan and use convex letter styles often. That was not the look they wanted.

I don’t want to pick apart your portfolio. I too have been ridiculed here over customer dictated artwork.

I do however, want to offer some constructive criticisms. The following comments are based on the two samples you posted here.

I realize it is ultimately about taste and what appeals to you, as having been mentioned in this thread already. The general rule of thumb I follow, is when highlighting or shadowing fonts and such, the natural light source comes from the top. Both of your samples convey a light source from the bottom and for my taste that is “naturally” wrong.

There is a guy in my area that is constantly using a convex font with either a shadow or outline / shadow combo where the light source for the letter is from the bottom while the light source for the shadow is from the top. This in my book is just wrong. I realize it can be a rookie mistake but this guy is no rookie. He either doesn’t care or based on other work he does, doesn’t understand good layouts and doesn’t have the where with all to know or execute simple basics when designing.

Back to your thoughts on this design needing to be” fancied up” with 3-D looks or gradient fills; as I mentioned, I don’t have to look too far to find examples of what you are talking about and most are overdone and / or illegible.

For the most part I have built a reputation on providing clean legible layouts . . . I’ll just keep doing that.:smile:

TimToad

I'm sorry all other judgements aside, but I just can't take anyone serious who has the gall to use a clearly racist avatar on a site like this. Your put downs of jsmoritz2000 are out of line and not relevant to this thread.

Is your portfolio in a place where we all can go look at it?

Ponto

Back to your thoughts on this design needing to be” fancied up” with 3-D looks or gradient fills; as I mentioned, I don’t have to look too far to find examples of what you are talking about and most are overdone and / or illegible.

For the most part I have built a reputation on providing clean legible layouts . . . I’ll just keep doing that.:smile:
.........THIS..... ladies and gentlemen --- 1000%....'nuff said......JP

Ponto

I'm sorry all other judgements aside, but I just can't take anyone serious who has the gall to use a clearly racist avatar on a site like this. Your put downs of jsmoritz2000 are out of line and not relevant to this thread.

Is your portfolio in a place where we all can go look at it?
..........."racist avatar?"......you've got to be kidding........ JP