• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop noobie needs help changing color

high impact

Hey everybody!

I have always had an employee who knows Photoshop, I handle all the vector work through Flexi. I lost my employee just before April went for surgery and won't be hiring anyone until after the first of the year. Unless of course some incredible super person with a work ethic walks through the door any minute...but I doubt it.

Since I don't see that happening any time within the next couple of days I have to figure out how to change the background color of this picture to sky blue. Is there anyone out there willing to walk this photoshop noobie through what it takes to accomplish this near impossible feat?

I have figured out how to open the picture and have attempted to duplicate the layer and change the background color with the color replacement tool. It only changes the hue.

HELP!!! ;-)

PS to the copyright police - I have contracted (and paid dearly) with the rightful owner to edit and use this horse in our layout for a horse transportation company. ;-)

Attachments

• Horse pic.jpg
    Horse pic.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 134

technowolf

Just select with magic wand and change color

open picture
select magic wand
clik in on black background
click 1st (foreground) squarre collor select color
select selection tool
right click image
aply color foreground
do a close up on background and horse edge to see if it blends well, if not just tune with the simple tool

hope this help

Alex

Bogie

are it a photochop file, or are it flat?

If you want a quickie lesson in some of tricks you can do in photoshop, pick up one of the lower-priced juice drops sets... and start playing with the layers.

high impact

All right...I'm not afraid to learn it if I HAVE to, I just haven't had the time! ;-p

If I can't get help as to "how" then are there any good tutorials on the internet that can show me "how"? ;-/

I really do believe that an old dog can learn new tricks! ;-)

high impact

are it a photochop file, or are it flat?

If you want a quickie lesson in some of tricks you can do in photoshop, pick up one of the lower-priced juice drops sets... and start playing with the layers.

I have juice drops - I have been using them for years. I understand layers to an extent, it is a flat jpg. I'm sure it is an easy thing to do - I just have NEVER played with Photoshop. I have always done everything in Flexi - I even added Eye candy so I can do shadows and bevels. But I have never messed with Photoshop. Seriously I have always had an employee who knew Photoshop. I guess I really need to take some time and learn it...I have a legit CS3 Photoshop.

I'm NOT looking for someone to do it for me, I really want to figure it out. ;-)

Bogie

Is this the nicest image you have? It's gonna be kinda grainy if you blow it up past a half a sheet of paper...

high impact

Is this the nicest image you have? It's gonna be kinda grainy if you blow it up past a half a sheet of paper...

No, I have a high resolution. I posted a little one according to the forum rules. I play by the rules (most of the time) ;-)

3CGraphics

the selection tool is the normal looking cursor with the + (usually upper right of hte tools pallet) what you need is the magic wnd tool and it looks like a wand with a starburst (glowing tip) on the end. You will need to have the magic wand and play with the settings - 1 to 255, those numbers being the sensitivity so to speak, 255 will select everything, 1 will only select the exact same color value of the one pixel you click, so if it's fairly solid black probably 10 - 20 will be fine. The area near the horse will be the trickiest as it will fade from the background color to the horse color. Once selected (it will have the marching ants around it) you can delete it, replace it, or use the fill to change the color. To fill it first double click the upper left (foreground color) of the two overlapping color squares near the bottom of the tools pallet. This will open the color selector, you can pick the color by clicking in the large square or set it with a color value. If you have the sky blue you want in another pic you can have it open and move the cursor outside the color picker dialog and it will turn to an eyedropper, click on the area of color you want and that color is selected. Once you have the color you want click OK and it will now be the color in the little color block in the tools pallet. Go to edit -> fill -? foreground color and the selected area will change to the foreground color. You probably need to work on the transition some so it doesn't look like your horse is superimposed on a fake background - smudge tool helps with that if needed.
If this makes zero sense send me the pic and I will try to do it step by step for you so you can try it as well.