• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems working with illustrator!!!!

heyskull

I work mainly with corel and signlab and have done for years now.
I have a job sent to me by a customer but am having a nightmare dismantling the logos from other parts of the artwork.
When you group round objects if you touch a nearby object it groups that object also.
This is so time consuming is there anyway of just selecting the objects you group round.
I have illustrator CS4 wether that makes a difference........HELP PLEASE

SC

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't know if I follow...

You might want to check your preferences, I prefer to have the "object selection by path only" "ON"... using area select is very frustrating.

Rick

I don't know what Jhill is talking about, seems like user error more than anything. I lock things in Corel too.

You might also "lock" the stuff you don't want, then select the stuff you do, copy and paste in a different area of the page and work on the logo there.

You can find lock objects at: OBJECT>LOCK>SELECTION

>Don't forget to unlock them later< under OBJECT>UNLOCK ALL

signmeup

Illy doesn't seem to support dragging a selection box around parts of your drawing to select only the parts the box goes around. It selects everything the selection box touches. Very odd. Corel only seems able to select complete objects and Xara has a setting that lets you choose how it does it.

My guess is Adobe hasn't "invented" this yet, but when they do it's gonna be great!

sfr table hockey

I work mainly with corel and signlab and have done for years now.
I have a job sent to me by a customer but am having a nightmare dismantling the logos from other parts of the artwork.
When you group round objects if you touch a nearby object it groups that object also.
This is so time consuming is there anyway of just selecting the objects you group round.
I have illustrator CS4 wether that makes a difference........HELP PLEASE

SC

Not sure if this will help much but:

If you use the direct select tool (the arrow not filled in, just an outline) you can just click on the exact piece you want to select. Then if you hold shift and click another part it will add to your selection and so on. This way you can click on parts to move away or delete. Move them off to the side to group then move back etc.

I am still new at illustrator as well so if this was one of those " I already knew that " kind of thing, sorry.

HaroldDesign

I don't think reading that will help. It looks like something Illustrator just doesn't do.
Hmmm.. I don't think I understand the problem. I have no problems with selecting objects in any manner. Groups or no groups. Sounds like there are groups within various masks or something due to being unfamiliar with Illy.

Rick

It's not that...

Corel has an option of selecting various objects by completely surrounding them with your curser, it's not a perfect way to select when working on single objects within a group, especially if things are stacked. You can work in layers to offset some of that that, but layer options suck in Corel. You have an adjustment to make with whatever software you use. This is not about Corel superiority, it's about solving this guys problem using a software he is not familiar with.

HaroldDesign

Now I understand. What he wants to do can be done by selecting objects in a manner that is not the same as Corel.

Select an object with the cursor, and hold shift and click on each additional object, or drag around an area of objects - but if they're already in a group you will have to release the group first to get individual elements by clicking on the group and pressing shift+command+G.

Mason

Are people kidding me, Adobe Illustrator is the model for all others, This is a case as was previously mentioned of operator error.

Drag Select: Selects everything it touches, Fact.

Shift Select: Selects only that which you select.

Grouped Objects: Grouped objects can be ungrouped or manipulated in isolation mode which can be accessed by double clicking the grouped object, if your group consists of one or more groups continuing to double click will take you deeper into each consecutive grouping, a quick look at the menu bar will reveal the "path" which you have traveled to reach a specific object ie: "Object/ group/group/bitmap/group" etc.

Area Select: is the best method fro most users of Adobe Illustrator.

Adobes website is chock full of useful information regarding all of its products, utilize it.

Good luck nuggets.

ProColorGraphics

You can keep your different objects on different layers. I prefer the selection method over Corel as I thinks it's nice to just drag a selection onto part of the object to select it.

Rick

That may not work with stacked objects with a stroke on it... if you don't know, you...

Select the background areas you do not want, lock them ("COMMAND+2") then select the logo, copy and paste it somewhere else to work on it.

I hate bounding boxes so I have mine turned off, make sure you have your preferences set so you select the edges (it's under "SELECTION AND ANCHOR DISPLAY">"OBJECT SELECTION BY PATH ONLY")

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You can keep your different objects on different layers. I prefer the selection method over Corel as I thinks it's nice to just drag a selection onto part of the object to select it.

Corel works both ways without changing the preferences.
Just hold the alt key when dragging to select by path crossing.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

Are people kidding me, Adobe Illustrator is the model for all others, This is a case as was previously mentioned of operator error.

Drag Select: Selects everything it touches, Fact.

Shift Select: Selects only that which you select.

Grouped Objects: Grouped objects can be ungrouped or manipulated in isolation mode which can be accessed by double clicking the grouped object, if your group consists of one or more groups continuing to double click will take you deeper into each consecutive grouping, a quick look at the menu bar will reveal the "path" which you have traveled to reach a specific object ie: "Object/ group/group/bitmap/group" etc.

Area Select: is the best method fro most users of Adobe Illustrator.

Adobes website is chock full of useful information regarding all of its products, utilize it.

Good luck nuggets.
The original post was asking how you selected objects by selecting with a box but only the things completely surrounded by the box. Can't be done in Illy apparently. So now he can stop being frustrated and do what ever can be done in Illy. The "model for all others" needs to catch up in this case. I hear you guys just got transparent gradients.....:clapping: next thing they'll be giving you a huge workspace..... :biggrin:

Salmoneye

I have a hard time with Illy when i try to pick certain objects that are close to other objects. Illy does not seem to pick what the arrow is exactly pointing at but other objects that are close. Am I missing something?