• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems working with illustrator!!!!

signmeup

I have a hard time with Illy when i try to pick certain objects that are close to other objects. Illy does not seem to pick what the arrow is exactly pointing at but other objects that are close. Am I missing something?
Sounds like you need to set your pick radius or whatever it's called in Illy.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It's not that...

Corel has an option of selecting various objects by completely surrounding them with your curser, it's not a perfect way to select when working on single objects within a group, especially if things are stacked. You can work in layers to offset some of that that, but layer options suck in Corel. You have an adjustment to make with whatever software you use. This is not about Corel superiority, it's about solving this guys problem using a software he is not familiar with.

Amen. It's all about what you are used to. I have used Illustrator since it's inception. When I have tried/used Corel my efficiency is about 25% and Ifumble around. Shortcuts are different, menus are different. I don't dislike Corel, I just never use it so am very slow. Plus I'm on a Mac, so that is a huge stumbling block

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I did create on vector job from scratch that has over 20,000 shapes and 638,525 points. See attached doc info box

So selecting objects in Illustrator is really not that big of a deal

Attachments

• objects.gif
    objects.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 79

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Amen. It's all about what you are used to. I have used Illustrator since it's inception. When I have tried/used Corel my efficiency is about 25% and Ifumble around. Shortcuts are different, menus are different. I don't dislike Corel, I just never use it so am very slow. Plus I'm on a Mac, so that is a huge stumbling block

Yep this is the key - the first tool you pick up is most likely the tool you will know best and use the most.

On the other hand:
"Plus I'm on a Mac, so that is a huge stumbling block"
It is good to see Mac users finally admitting what PC users have always known.....
:glasses:

wayne k
guam usa

Mason

The original post was asking how you selected objects by selecting with a box but only the things completely surrounded by the box. 1. Can't be done in Illy apparently. So now he can stop being frustrated and do what ever can be done in Illy. The "model for all others" needs to catch up in this case. 2. I hear you guys just got transparent gradients.....:clapping: next thing they'll be giving you a huge workspace..... :biggrin:

1. Wrong

2. I cant find the part where he was looking for transparent gradients or a larger workspace..

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have a hard time with Illy when i try to pick certain objects that are close to other objects. Illy does not seem to pick what the arrow is exactly pointing at but other objects that are close. Am I missing something?

Which version? Did you read my post on changing your preferences to "OBJECT SELECTION BY PATH ONLY" you may have that off... I would have it on and select object by surrounding it, or by selecting the edge.

Rick

I use both, but since layer support sucks in Corel, and Corel is not capable of multiple scales on a single page, I use Illustrator, I am sure the lame arguing can go on and on, but it's like arguing about who's pencil is better... just give me a pencil!

By the way Doc, there is no stumbling block for you, my Mac is also a PC...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I use both, but since layer support sucks in Corel, and Corel is not capable of multiple scales on a single page, I use Illustrator, I am sure the lame arguing can go on and on, but it's like arguing about who's pencil is better... just give me a pencil!

By the way Doc, there is no stumbling block for you, my Mac is also a PC...

Ok, used to be a stumbling block. I do have Parallels but am not too happy with it. I may switch to vmware. The only reason I would buy corel at this point would be to open corel files. I have been converting thousands of vectors as ai or eps and my corel customers seem to be ok with that

Rick

I have no reason to use Corel except for one client. His design staff all use it and they want to be able to fold it into their presentation easier that switching around in .pdf. Up to this point, I was only using it for converting too.

Malkin

The first vector drawing program I learned was Gerber's Omega. It required you to completely encompass a shape in order to select it. Now I'm using and learning Illustrator, and it certainly took some getting used to, but I think I like it better.

I would like a larger workspace though. :banghead:

signmeup

"how you selected objects by selecting with a box but only the things completely surrounded by the box. 1. Can't be done in Illy apparently.
So....how do you do it? Here's a pic of how you do it in Corel. To select only the round things you drag the selection box around the circles. What's the secret in Illy? I can't get it to work in my copy of CS4.

Attachments

• select.jpg
    select.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 73

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
"how you selected objects by selecting with a box but only the things completely surrounded by the box. 1. Can't be done in Illy apparently.
So....how do you do it? Here's a pic of how you do it in Corel. To select only the round things you drag the selection box around the circles. What's the secret in Illy? I can't get it to work in my copy of CS4.

Odd, I can select those circles the exact same way in CS3, and have for as long as I can remember.

Or if you are talking about those boxes that it touches... then I would select the circles without touching the boxes. Any selection you drag around will select whatever it touches. If you don't want it to grab something, then don't touch it with the selection tool

Rick

The example you show is a poor example, of course Illustrator can select those circles without de-selecting anything, you just have to select the circles in the first image in red... where illustrator has a problem is the other example I show, you select the circle the same way, then you hit your shift key and select the wayward circles in green.

If you are gonna argue shortcomings about a software, at least get it right...

Attachments

• illy:corel example-1.jpg
    illy:corel example-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 67
  • illy corel, the real issue withselect.jpg
    illy corel, the real issue withselect.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 73

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Odd, I can select those circles the exact same way in CS3, and have for as long as I can remember.

Must be a setting somewhere in there.
I also can't get the round things selected without the boxes getting selected along with them.(CS3 pc version)
I tried with the pref option Rick listed both on and off with no change in the selection result.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

The example you show is a poor example, of course Illustrator can select those circles without de-selecting anything, you just have to select the circles in the first image in red... QUOTE]
Wouldn't that select the big square the round things are on? I'm just pointing out what heskul was asking for (I think) I don't think corel is better or worse than Illy...just different. Your second pic is comming up as a red x.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The example you show is a poor example, of course Illustrator can select those circles without de-selecting anything, you just have to select the circles in the first image in red... QUOTE]
Wouldn't that select the big square the round things are on? I'm just pointing out what heskul was asking for (I think) I don't think corel is better or worse than Illy...just different. Your second pic is comming up as a red x.

Yes if objects were filled. Or in the preferences, check [object selection by path only] and it will ignore fills when dragging to select

Rick

It may or may not select the square depending on if you have the center point "x" on the square or not, generally I have them when I am snapping an image into a certain mark. Otherwise I don't have them if they are in the way.