• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problems working with illustrator!!!!

TheSellOut

Must be a setting somewhere in there.
I also can't get the round things selected without the boxes getting selected along with them.(CS3 pc version)

I am not sure that I will explain this right or if I am even following but, if you "View Outlines" (ctrl Y) you should be able to drag a selection box around those circles without selecting the squares.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Must be a setting somewhere in there.
I also can't get the round things selected without the boxes getting selected along with them.(CS3 pc version)

I am not sure that I will explain this right or if I am even following but, if you "View Outlines" (ctrl Y) you should be able to drag a selection box around those circles without selecting the squares.

No, it will do it in "preview" mode if you follow the red dotted line...

signmeup

I think this may be a better example. Still only selects the round thingies....filled or not. Is this a good thing? I don't know...it is different though. I think Xara has the best approch....they let you choose which ever method you prefer.

Attachments

• select2.jpg
    select2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 69

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think this may be a better example. Still only selects the round thingies....filled or not. Is this a good thing? I don't know...it is different though. I think Xara has the best approch....they let you choose which ever method you prefer.

I think I have it straight now.
Corel will let you have it both ways by holding or not holding down the alt key while selecting.
Draw seems a little more flexible than how it has to be done in Illy but not a show stopper in either application.

wayne k
guam usa

visualeyez

Could be way off here, but have you tried a Select All / Object > Clipping mask > release and repeat a couple of times.
Some .pdf and other files that have been saved for smallest file size have transparent clipping masks around multiple unrelated objects.

tracey.peterson

I don't know if this helps or not - but there's a way to not even view locked elements (I forget the command at the moment - no Illustrator on this PC, sadly).

I liked to group items as I completed them, lock them, and then hide them. SUPER handy for situations like this (apologies if the tip isn't related - not sure exactly what your selection issue is).

beermonster

are the circles filled/stroked the same?

in illy, select ONE object, go "select>same>fill"- or stroke or blend, or any of the options

wireframe mode is excellent - drag around areas, shift-click ON element to deselect if ya pick up unwanted bits, group elements for quick selection, you can even use the layers pallette and get hold of objects through that - its a way of working.

packaging here so i use illy only (well, indy, freehand and quark as well) and selecting objects is fairly easy - ya just gotta get used to the tools

iSign

I'm just pointing out what heskul was asking for (I think) I don't think corel is better or worse than Illy..

wow... you really think so? "just pointing out"? ...dude, go read this thread again, you are posting classic software fanboy snob posts here.. which I wouldn't expect from you, but seriously, if an extra keystroke is required, this thread alone offset 10 years worth of the time I've lost with that extra selection keystroke... what rubbish to even bother mentioning :omg:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I dunno Doug, I for one learned a thing or two about selecting objects in Illy that I did not know before.
I thought I was doing something wrong and now know that it is just the way it is supposed to work.
Picking up a few workflow tips was worth the extra keystrokes that had to be read.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

Doug, I learned several new techniques for selecting stuff that I didn't think of. I thought it was a good informative thread. Illustrator has some very comprehensive ways of selecting objects. I also read through Corels help files on selecting and learned a few helpful things like you can press tab to go through items (selecting them) in the order they were drawn. I think there is a similar method in Illy. I'll have to look at it again. Just take the good stuff out of the thread and ignore the other stuff. And what GAC05 said...."\"I thought I was doing something wrong and now know that it is just the way it is supposed to work." I think this is what Heskul was running into.

Oh, I also discovered you can select the bottom object in a pile of objects if you click the edge of the one you want. Unfilled objects though....unless you go wireframe.

signmeup

are the circles filled/stroked the same?

in illy, select ONE object, go "select>same>fill"- or stroke or blend, or any of the options
Excellent tip. Can't see a way to do it in Corel but I got looking into the object manager and you can select objects in there and they select on screen. Kind of similar. Might be useful in certain cases. I expect there is a similar feature in Illy.

beermonster

cheers signmeup (phd) :)

i use that all the time in prepress - specially when trapping jobs, makes it easy to select similar elements and trap them equally. also, since we only print on card here, sometimes the board can stretch and we have to do what is known as "zonal trap" (no - not spinal tap), so selecting a single element on a full B1 sheet layout is sometimes need to increase trap to match moving substrate - simples :)

there's also the contextual menu method too - hit ctrl key as you click on something and you get options for selectin stuff there as well (mac based so dunno what the PC key is)

the layers pallet is powerful - can be daunting and even look cumbersome but after a while you see the benefits