• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raises?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
By your logic, I could steal money from your bank account and then use some of that money (I'd have to pay myself, of course) to select and send groceries to your home.

If you didn't like me stealing your money you could move to a different country.

What kinda pink commie talk is that stupid crap ?? Now, you wanna steal and claim the gains to pay taxes ?? Is that your scheme ?? Where did you originally live ??

:bookworm You'd be interesting to listen to over a few drinks. Betcha I'd learn a lot.

Signarama Jockey

That's quite a stretch. By my logic you sound like an entitled crybaby who doesn't want to pay for his lunch.
Could you please elaborate on why it would be wrong of me to take your money, cut myself off a little administration fee, and then spend that money on goods or services that I think you need?

Please explain why that is wrong.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We just went through something similar here. My employer has been unable to attract or retain employees for years so they commissioned an outside agency to study our pay rates compared to the rest of our area.
They did this at the same time they rolled out a new merit-based employee evaluation system. The idea made sense - reward the good workers with good raises to retain them.

But guess what? The agency discovered we were underpaid. So, the company had to do a huge pay adjustment for EVERYONE. Some folks got a few percentage point raises, others got larger $2-$3 raises.
So now we're at the end of our first year of the evaluation system - and I'm hearing that foremen, supervisors, and managers are being coached on how to evaluate - how to use wiggle words, and phrases like "often contributes" or "willingness to help" instead of demonstrative statements like "is helpful".
It feels like we're in for a bit of a bait-and-switch. They increased wages to bring everyone up closer to where they should be, but are now figuring out how to weasel out of paying actual raises.
So, if a 3.5% raise is really only a cost of living adjustment, should true raises be more like 5%?
Every position has a top out point for compensation. The economy just went through a major adjustment but it seems to have hit a level point. I feel like raise expectations need to be adjusted back to normal COL increases or even pay freezes vs retain at all cost. I understand it's another unpopular opinion but deflation is likely to creep in at some point as demand returns to normal. That was the crux of my initial question and am trying to sort out how we need to handle this going forward with all of these things taken into consideration. The industry as a whole is shifting towards more automation and less manual labor which can make constantly increasing labor costs untenable.

Notarealsignguy

Could you please elaborate on why it would be wrong of me to take your money, cut myself off a little administration fee, and then spend that money on goods or services that I think you need?

because you as an individual are not sanctioned by the constitution to collect taxes, set taxes or steal money. The government is.

Signarama Jockey

because you as an individual are not sanctioned by the constitution to collect taxes, set taxes or steal money. The government is.
Ah, I see. Okay, so we aren't talking about services or me using the roads or anything else. The actual reason why government officials are allowed to reach into your pocket and take your money is because a small group of elite men wrote stuff on a piece of paper over 200 years ago.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not at all. Evidently, you didn't go to American schools or not present during history classes. We had taxes 248 years ago, but only on certain goods and land..... that's why we fought the Revolutionary War.. Generally, everything was less than 1%. Income taxes started during the Civil War to pay for the war. That was somewhere around 3%, I believe. Where in the world do you get your childish ideas ?? You couldn't have learned your garbage in school. so it must be all the propaganda ya listen to.

JBurton

Signtologist
I did not request nor did I agree to pay for any government services or infrastructure.
But... I mean, you have power right now, right? Transmission lines are paid for and maintained by taxes. And you're on the interweb? Well golly gee, same deal there. Did you drive to work? On a road? Built and maintained by private individuals I'm sure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1*o5aK9rf-AsVvmZtC59asjg.jpeg

Signarama Jockey

Your arguments are getting lamer.
And you're not making any arguments. You're also letting other people answer questions for you. I'll ask you again.

Why is is wrong for me to take money out of your bank account and then spend it on services (and my administration fee) that I decide you need? What is the principle that I am violating by doing that?

Why is it wrong? I'd love to hear your answer.

Signarama Jockey

But... I mean, you have power right now, right? Transmission lines are paid for and maintained by taxes. And you're on the interweb? Well golly gee, same deal there. Did you drive to work? On a road? Built and maintained by private individuals I'm sure.
So?

Where did I agree to pay for any of it?

CanuckSigns

How would you propose services for the common good of society get paid? things like roads, education, social safety nets etc. As someone else posted, there are countries that do not impose taxes on their people, but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't want to move to any of them. Now government waste is a different issue, i think everyone can agree that too much money is spent on things that don't benefit the people, but the price of living in a civilized society is that everyone has to pay taxes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And you're not making any arguments. You're also letting other people answer questions for you. I'll ask you again.

Why is is wrong for me to take money out of your bank account and then spend it on services (and my administration fee) that I decide you need? What is the principle that I am violating by doing that?

Why is it wrong? I'd love to hear your answer.

Sounds very inviting.

As for you, signjockey....... why do you think you deserve or have the audacity to charge an administration fee ?? Who made you king of the hill ??

Signarama Jockey

Is this Sovreign citizen thinking? I see videos with them all the time on TikTok refusing to answer police questions.
No, although it is a good idea not to answer police questions. But, no, this is about me recognizing that the government takes a huge bite out of each and every paycheck that I earn and wastes most of it on dumb stuff. I don't like being compelled to pay for wars I don't agree with, laws I don't agree with, services I don't use, foreign aid to other countries, the bloated military industrial complex, everything else I never had a say in and to line the pockets of government employees who are essentially parasites. I am not an anarchist; I do believe that there is an essential role for the state, but I believe that we could easily cut 70% of the government's budget, eliminate 80% of the departments and employees and bring taxes down for everyone.

How would you propose services for the common good of society get paid? things like roads, education, social safety nets etc. As someone else posted, there are countries that do not impose taxes on their people, but I'm willing to bet you wouldn't want to move to any of them. Now government waste is a different issue, i think everyone can agree that too much money is spent on things that don't benefit the people, but the price of living in a civilized society is that everyone has to pay taxes.
Make most of them private institutions. Anyone who wants to benefit from them can pay for them, those who don't shouldn't be forced to.

I'm glad you and I agree on government waste. Too much money is spent on things that don't benefit the people.

As for you, signjockey....... why do you think you deserve or have the audacity to charge an administration fee ?? Who made you king of the hill ??
Why does the government have the audacity to charge their administration fees? Who made them King of the hill?

What makes a claim to have power over another person legitimate?

Notarealsignguy

No, although it is a good idea not to answer police questions. But, no, this is about me recognizing that the government takes a huge bite out of each and every paycheck that I earn and wastes most of it on dumb stuff. I don't like being compelled to pay for wars I don't agree with, laws I don't agree with, services I don't use, foreign aid to other countries, the bloated military industrial complex, everything else I never had a say in and to line the pockets of government employees who are essentially parasites. I am not an anarchist; I do believe that there is an essential role for the state, but I believe that we could easily cut 70% of the government's budget, eliminate 80% of the departments and employees and bring taxes down for everyone.

Make most of them private institutions. Anyone who wants to benefit from them can pay for them, those who don't shouldn't be forced to.

I'm glad you and I agree on government waste. Too much money is spent on things that don't benefit the people.

Why does the government have the audacity to charge their administration fees? Who made them King of the hill?

What makes a claim to have power over another person legitimate?
Where you're born is luck of the draw and that determines whose system you are forced to follow. It is what it is.
For every person that disagrees with some government system there's another one that agrees with it. That's how a collective society works. The Internet has created all of these tribal groups because people get fed what they want to hear vs what they need to hear. Unfortunately, it makes people feel that their line of thinking is inline with the majority of others because that's all they see. I believe the term is confirmation bias. Anyhow, it's wreaking havoc on everything.