• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raises?

CanuckSigns

Make most of them private institutions. Anyone who wants to benefit from them can pay for them, those who don't shouldn't be forced to.

I'm glad you and I agree on government waste. Too much money is spent on things that don't benefit the people.
I know most Americans lothe their healthcare system and dealing with "in-network, out of network" etc. what you are proposing would end up applying that to every aspect of your life.

Signarama Jockey

Ah, I believe you've just hit the key word against which your founding fathers fought against.
Americans were pretty easy to dupe. We rebelled over the notion of being subjects of a King, so we simply rebranded "royalty" as "government".

Same product, different packaging.

Guns. Or, a bloated military industrial complex. IDK, ask the native americans.
Is that the only thing that makes authority legitimate? The ability to kill people who disagree with your authority?

I never heard anyone actually admit it out loud.

Because:

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

― Mark Twain
I don't think you've given a minute of thought to the question I posed to you. I don't think you've ever pondered the foundational premises of govenment and your relationship to it. For some reason you seem incapable of expressing, you believe that the government taking nearly a third of every penny you earn is some kind of divine right. You even think that I am a fool for asking the question. Everyone else in this discussion seems to have some kind of ad hoc apologetics they squirt out like squid ink, but you don't. The government taking your money is like the sun rising in the morning.

I just looked up Boudica to refresh my memory, and I saw a quote from a speech that was made to motivate her to rebel against the Roman state.

"Have we not been robbed entirely of most of our possessions, and those the greatest, while for those that remain we pay taxes? Besides pasturing and tilling for them all our other possessions, do we not pay a yearly tribute for our very bodies? How much better it would be to have been sold to masters once for all than, possessing empty titles of freedom, to have to ransom ourselves every year! How much better to have been slain and to have perished than to go about with a tax on our heads!..." -Cassius Dio

JBurton

Signtologist
Is that the only thing that makes authority legitimate? The ability to kill people who disagree with your authority?

I never heard anyone actually admit it out loud.
...really? The fact that those with the most power make the rules is a surprise to you? I'm sure this will come as a surprise to you, but there are these 'events' throughout human history, called wars...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know signjockey...... I take it back. I don't think I'd like talking to you over some drinks. You don't seem to have any comebacks of your own, but have the need to look everything up and do lotsa copy & pasting. Most likely, you don't have an original thought in your head, then you go around regurgitating what some google copy said.

Have fun.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Well, Since this thread is posted under Business Management, and I'm just an employee - I've been too busy here at work keeping up with the onslaught of orders we got slammed with this week to really put much thought into your pointless discussion. No system is perfect, but it's better than the alternative, and nothing to cry too hard over.

Now, I need to get back to work and earn that RAISE I just received. :thumb:

Signarama Jockey

...really? The fact that those with the most power make the rules is a surprise to you? I'm sure this will come as a surprise to you, but there are these 'events' throughout human history, called wars...
No, it doesn't surprise me, but given that logic, doesn't that make every thug with a weapon a legitimate authority? I mean, someone sticking a gun in a woman's face and telling her to get in the van always seemed blatantly evil to me. What surprises me is that you would argue that he is legitimate.

Ya know signjockey...... I take it back. I don't think I'd like talking to you over some drinks. You don't seem to have any comebacks of your own, but have the need to look everything up and do lotsa copy & pasting. Most likely, you don't have an original thought in your head, then you go around regurgitating what some google copy said.

Have fun.
You mean... after all the kindness, warmth and understanding you've shown me... you don't want to hang out with me?

crying-sobbing.gif

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No, it doesn't surprise me, but given that logic, doesn't that make every thug with a weapon a legitimate authority? I mean, someone sticking a gun in a woman's face and telling her to get in the van always seemed blatantly evil to me. What surprises me is that you would argue that he is legitimate.

You mean... after all the kindness, warmth and understanding you've shown me... you don't want to hang out with me?

signarama jocky is a never nude

jfiscus

Rap Master
I really, really wish this thread was two separate threads. There is genuine legitimate discussion of raises (or the lack there of) going on, along with a very different discussion at the same time. :(
I would enjoy reading both, in different threads.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I really, really wish this thread was two separate threads. There is genuine legitimate discussion of raises (or the lack there of) going on, along with a very different discussion at the same time. :(
I would enjoy reading both, in different threads.
Lets get it back on track. I gave her $1/hr, it was what I was planning before I asked here.
Who here gives performance bonuses? How do you structure that? They seem like a double edged sword for a million reasons. I have worked places where employees got really butthurt after getting a good run of them and then the company hits a dry spot. It's damn near as bad as cutting someone's hourly pay rate.