• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scanning Images into Vector Art

phatmanu812

I've never had much success scanning in images into high fidelity vector art using omega. In fact, it's quite useless.

If you scan images into vector art and are satisfied with the quality, please share your method/setup including hardware and software.

Thanks.

JgS

Adobe Illustrator has a trace option. It takes a lot of practice but I usually get good results. The trick is knowing what is traceable and what isn't.

El Mustachio

my two cents

I feel your pain on scanning from raster to vector. I've had decent success with two methods:

Automatic CorelDraw Method
1) Scan image
2) edit in a photo editing software, remove anything you're not going to trace, reduce color depth, B&W if possible, keep resolution high.
3) import edited photo into CorelDraw
4) Use one of the tracing methods (Quick Trace, Outline Trace, or Centerline Trace)
5) adjust sensitivity and color picking settings.
6) save your vector image.

Von Glitschka Method (http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Basic-Training-Systematic-Precision/dp/0321749596)
1) print your image to paper
2) use tracing paper to trace the geometry you want
3) ink in the hand traced geometry
4) scan tracing to raster file
5) import raster image to a unique layer in your vector software (AI, Corel, whatever)
6) adjust opacity to make image just barely visible and lock layer.
7) create new layer for vector work.
8) use standard vector tools (bezier, lines, arcs, etc) to create clean vector work on top of locked raster layer.

Personally I much prefer the manual method. At first glance you might think the manual method will take much longer, but it's actually faster when done right. The book in the link above has really helped me, especially with bezier point placement. I get much cleaner graphics with far fewer spline points using the manual method. Cheers.

nikdoobs

Depends on the quality of the image. I use Illustrator and Flexi-Sign. Flexi Sign's vector smoothing tools are awesome. Sometimes its easier just start with the pen tool in Illustrator and trace manually without using live-trace.

OldPaint

i use COREL DRAW TRACE........on most objects. those that dont translate well, i use the PRINT IT.....as big as i can, overlay TRACING PAPER, 1st draw the object parts YOU WANT, with pencil.......then with a NEW SHARPIE(this is permanent)re-trace the lines you want to make vector(vector means it is a complete object line)then scan the drawing and use COREL DRAW TRACE or my favorite is STREAMLINE 4.0. it has the EDIT ability COREL DRAW DONT.

MikePro

there's really no "easy button" for vectorizing... sorry to say. (unless you count a hotdial# on your phone for VectorDoctor!)
image trace is awesome, if you know how to use it.... repeating over and over again with different settings to obtain pieces that assemble into a complete redraw (even then you'll never be completely satisfied and will have to edit each of those pieces yourself)

redraw it with pen/shapes/etc. tools, if you want it done right, and make sure you're getting paid to do-so.

threeputt

El Mustachio,
I agree with your assessment of Composer's 4.0 abilities to provide decent vector from raster images. We completely do an end-run around Composer and take them directly into Corel X3. Using one of the 3 trace methods. They are very good in comparison. Use Composer for most other vector drawings and drafts, etc

TammieH

Photoshop works well with converting bitmaps to Paths for Illustrator...

Scanning can be a problem, especially since most printed images do not have a very high resolution. If so, enlarge the image as much as possible, what ever memory allows before converting.

If its a logo, I will search the net first, about 75% of the time you can find vector logos on corporate websites

(usually imbedded in a downloadable .pdf, ie. a newsletter, brochure or catalogue)

gabagoo

Sometimes you can spend more time node editing an auto digitize than had you redrawn it on your own.

Terremoto

If its a logo, I will search the net first, about 75% of the time you can find vector logos on corporate websites

(usually imbedded in a downloadable .pdf, ie. a newsletter, brochure or catalogue)

This method works really well a lot of the time. A heck of a lot faster than getting the "media department" to send you a vector file.

Failing that, I hand trace a locked bitmap.

Dan

Biker Scout

Eric, what is the shortcut you are using to change the rounded corners on the fly while still having the shape selected?

OK, Arrow Keys up and down... cool. But where can I see the radius numbers as they are changing?

bcpop

It is really hard to beat The Vector Doctor. For the time you spend trying to figure it out, he's already dropped it into your email. Quality work at a very reasonable price. I have been very very pleased with everything that Eric has done for me.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Eric, what is the shortcut you are using to change the rounded corners on the fly while still having the shape selected?

OK, Arrow Keys up and down... cool. But where can I see the radius numbers as they are changing?

In smart guides you can turn on measurement labels. I don't normally worry about the numbers though. I adjust on the fly until it matches up. If you are working on a small object the up/down arrow keys change the curve too much. So scale everything up, say 8-10x and then the up/down arrow is not so drastic a change

Biker Scout

I'll check it out.

I do a lot of CNC prototyping and 2D CAD work in Illustrator. (And the occasional vectorization, where eyeballing is OK) But for the most part, I have to work within the common inside radii that router and milling bits come in. I usually click the rounded corner tool and type in the measurements, but I like the faster method you showed.

Thanks!