• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scanning Images into Vector Art

Biker Scout

While I've never used the "Round Corners Filter" because it sucks... (Can't export that shape as g-code or any type of cutting path) I have always wanted a round corner function like the you posted! Awesome!

Now, I'm going to have to play with it to see if I can use this to route/cut with. (Or I'll have to back save to Illustrator 3 to get the belizer curve path back)

Vinylman

While I've never used the "Round Corners Filter" because it sucks... (Can't export that shape as g-code or any type of cutting path) I have always wanted a round corner function like the you posted! Awesome!

Now, I'm going to have to play with it to see if I can use this to route/cut with. (Or I'll have to back save to Illustrator 3 to get the belizer curve path back)

Biker:

Give this a try. Make a square/ rectangle.

Go to eEFFECTS, convert to shape [choose round corner rectangle].

A fly out option will appear, and if you choose preview, you can play with the radius till you are satisfied.

Hit OK.

Go to OBJECT menu, click on EXPAND APPEARANCE.

Done!

Biker Scout

Never used that one. In fact I don't use anything in that block. I skim right on down to path/blend/envelope distort.

Learned something new today... oohh, right before midnight too! :thumb:

Vinylman

In smart guides you can turn on measurement labels. I don't normally worry about the numbers though. I adjust on the fly until it matches up. If you are working on a small object the up/down arrow keys change the curve too much. So scale everything up, say 8-10x and then the up/down arrow is not so drastic a change

ERIC: could you please explain to this old **** the exact steps you use when you are doing the round corner rectangle that you demoed in your video tutorial. I have watched it a number of times, and just can't figure out how you are changing the corner radius "on the fly". A step by step would be most helpful.

P.S. I down loaded the script you suggested, and it seems to not give the results you are suggesting. It is probably my failure to follow instructions well, but the script seems to be very limited in what it does? Any suggestions here?

Thanks So Much.:thumb: Vinylman

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
ERIC: could you please explain to this old **** the exact steps you use when you are doing the round corner rectangle that you demoed in your video tutorial. I have watched it a number of times, and just can't figure out how you are changing the corner radius "on the fly". A step by step would be most helpful.

P.S. I down loaded the script you suggested, and it seems to not give the results you are suggesting. It is probably my failure to follow instructions well, but the script seems to be very limited in what it does? Any suggestions here?

Thanks So Much.:thumb: Vinylman

As you draw with a rounded rectangle tool you click on the up/down arrows on the keyboard to adjust the radius

The script only rounds existing sharp corners. So lets say you have a font that you want to round ever corner. Convert to paths and apply the script. Or you can select just a few points and round only those. Some may use this tool to round off very sharp points to prevent vinyl from lifting when cut and applied

Vinylman

As you draw with a rounded rectangle tool you click on the up/down arrows on the keyboard to adjust the radius

The script only rounds existing sharp corners. So lets say you have a font that you want to round ever corner. Convert to paths and apply the script. Or you can select just a few points and round only those. Some may use this tool to round off very sharp points to prevent vinyl from lifting when cut and applied

Thanks so much.
I forgot that you mentioned in an earlier post that it is best to work on artwork that is 8-10 times enlarged. I was missing that step. Once I went to larger artwork, the up/down arrow thing works really slick.

Details Details Details:Big Laugh

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Here are 2 samples. On sample 1 i used Illustrator's built in rounding corner effect. It misses some corners and also tries to round off curves. I only want it to round the points. The script version shown in sample 2 is correct. The only disadvantage to the script is there is no preview so you have to undo and redo until you get it right

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 12.16.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 12.16.10 PM.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 12.17.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 12.17.27 PM.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 118

Vinylman

Illustrtor CC not working correctly

ERIC:

While trying your suggestion on using the arrow keys to enlarge the round corner feature in the CC version of Illustrator, the arrow key suggestion does not work. Any suggestions??

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
ERIC:

While trying your suggestion on using the arrow keys to enlarge the round corner feature in the CC version of Illustrator, the arrow key suggestion does not work. Any suggestions??

http://krankykids.com/cheatsheets/illustrator_cs6/shape_tool_rounded_rectangle.html

Drawing with the Rounded Rectangle Tool:

• Click and drag to draw originating from a corner.
  • Holding down the spacebar allows you to freeze and freely move your shape around while still drawing. This works with all the Line andShape Tools.
  • Click the Up and Down arrow keys to increase and decrease theradius of the rounded corners while drawing.
  • After drawing, you can click once to open the dialog box and see what the settings are for what you've just drawn. Click OK if you want to copy it, otherwise click Cancel. (Changing the Corner Radius in thedialog box only affects the copy that you make, not the shape that you have just drawn and committed to your artboard.)

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
BTW Illustrator and other CC products were updated today. AI added a few features one of which is regarding rounding corners. You can select one or more points and round them on the fly. I have used it several times already. There is a video at the Adobe site highlighting a few added features.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Corel has some pretty nice built in rounding tools for rectangles and paths.
The rectangle corner's are dynamic and will not distort as the shape is stretched and squashed disproportionately.

Both work well without drama.

wayne k
guam usa