• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second attempt at illustrating a car...MGB

signmeup

I've been having fun learning to illustrate cars over the past few days. Got inspired by Joe Diaz's stuff. (who wouldn't?)

Anyway... I learned a ton on my first one and applied it to this one. It's a long way from finished but I think it's starting to look like something. I need to add a lot of details like wiper blades etc. The wheels are a bit daunting so for now I just inserted images of wire wheels. Anyone have any tips for drawing something like wire wheels... speak up please. Oh.. the chrome bumper and headlights need detailing too.

This one I can change the car colour with a single click. All the shadows and highlights are either white or black transparencies.

Attachments

• MGB2.jpg
    MGB2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

seems i was correcting mine, while you were replying.

if you don't mind me asking... how long did it take to do that?

ugh... again too slow... Pat was writing the same thing.

signmeup

Looks great! How long did that take you? Done in corel?
Done in Corel. Not sure how long it took. I did it in my spare time over the weekend. I'd guess about 6 hours... and it's not done yet. May never be... it's just an exercise to learn from. I expect this could be done quite quickly if you had done a few and had a system down.

Last edited:

Joe Diaz

Looking good. Yeah I hate doing the wheels too. and those wheels don't look like too much fun.:Big Laugh

One tip I would have, or at least it is something I like to do. Exaggerate your gradients, and also exaggerate your highlights too. It makes the car look nice, shinny and clean.

signmeup

Thanks for the tip Joe. I just re-loaded the image because it got a lot darker when It loaded onto the forum. I couldn't see any detail in the grill or tires. Is that any better?

HulkSmash

That looks pretty freaking good so far.

I use to do tons of illustrations in illustrator.. none in coral.
You can use meshes for the wheels...also like joe said, exaggerate the highlights.
Also to make it more dramatic - as the car goes away from you (The back end) make the red gradually darker.

So Far so GOOD!

Craig Sjoquist

It does seem to be coming along fine, 1st things I've seen is ...it is to long and the hood needs to look smoother.
I've own 4 MGB's and one MGA fun cars to drive and dependable plus easy to repair.

Marlene

the rims are amazing! I drove one of these way back in my younger days! mine was the redish orange colored and it had three windshild wippers...brings back memories!

the hood needs to look smoother
agree, as far as I rremember, it was smoother with no real sharp lines.

signmeup

This is a tracing of a photo so the length, hood, etc. is pretty much spot on. The rims are just cutout of the photo as I don't have the time right now to draw each of the 72 spokes!(per wheel!)

Here it is in green. I love how you can change to any colour with just a click.

Attachments

• MGBgreensm.jpg
    MGBgreensm.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 64

signmeup

Here's the pic I used. I found this on the internet. So... is the rendering mine to do with as I please or...?

Attachments

• MGBpic.jpg
    MGBpic.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 61

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
yeah I was wondering how you did those wire wheels and the whole car in such a short amount of time. No wonder the rims look realistic