• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second attempt at illustrating a car...MGB

Joe Diaz

just do 1 then duplicate it.

It doesn't always work that way. The perspective changes the farther back on the vehicle you go. Sometimes you can kind of cheat (if it is flat or doesn't have much dimension to it), but other times you can't and if you try, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

signmeup

Should'a done the one with the pressed steel wheels. But mine has wires so...

I'm researching chrome illustration techniques now. This is addictive.

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

It doesn't always work that way. The perspective changes the farther back on the vehicle you go. Sometimes you can kind of cheat (if it is flat or doesn't have much dimension to it), but other times you can't and if you try, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

In Ilustrator can you not use the "envelope distort" and create a 1 x 1 grid and warp an image to scale it for perspective? Never quite tried it on an image like those rims.

Signmeup.... you've got me hooked on trying one of these.......

Good stuff

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Looks great.

When I normally have to do something tedius like illustrate a wire spoke wheel ... it's really just time to bust out the pen tool and go to town. for print it's as easy as just making a line with a decent stroke on it with rounded ends and looking at something in almost meticulous detail.

Joe Diaz

In Ilustrator can you not use the "envelope distort" and create a 1 x 1 grid and warp an image to scale it for perspective? Never quite tried it on an image like those rims.
If it were a flat hubcap you could, if there is dimension to the wheel, you would technically want to redraw the wheel or edit it so that the perspective looks right.

Here is an example of what I mean:
wheel perspectives.jpg

This is the front and rear wheels. Notice the distance from the center part of the wheel to the outside rim (the green arrows) see how the center part almost overlaps the outer edge on that back wheel, but not on the front? Now when you distort the front wheel to match the back the perspective is off. This is why you can't simply use the envelope too for perspective.

signmeup

Good info Joe.
Here's a 40 minute wire wheel. It doesn't look too bad if the image is small. There is a lot to learn here. A lot of it is figuring out what the eye will accept as looking right... and then tricking it.

I beefed up the highlights a bit too.

Attachments

• MGB3.jpg
    MGB3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 55

Joe Diaz

Good info Joe. Here is a 40 minute wire wheel. It doesn't look too bad if the image is small. There is a lot to learn here. A lot of it is figuring out what the eye will accept as looking right... and then tricking it.

I beefed up the highlights a bit too.

:thumb:

Service Sign Co

Looks good, the first time I tried it took forever it seemed, the second was about 20 hrs. but never was completely finished. I have heard some of these illustrations take around 40 hrs, but that's probably a very detailed project.

signmeup

Looks good, the first time I tried it took forever it seemed, the second was about 20 hrs. but never was completely finished. I have heard some of these illustrations take around 40 hrs, but that's probably a very detailed project.
I suspect you could spend any amount of time on one of these that you wanted too. I wonder how long someone who does a lot of this sort of thing would take?

Service Sign Co

At this point go for an authentic color, and add over emphasized shading,& chrome which I would do in Photoshop,but that's personal preference. The vector portion took a few hours,not counting the rims mirrors & headlights I robbed from another dwg
the dodge & burn tool is your friend.

Attachments

• DODGE 70'S.jpg
    DODGE 70'S.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

signmeup

At this point go for an authentic color, and add over emphasized shading,& chrome which I would do in Photoshop,but that's personal preference. The vector portion took a few hours,not counting the rims mirrors & headlights I robbed from another dwg
the dodge & burn tool is your friend.
Looks good. There's one of those in town here... same colour but it has the black segmented side stripes. Sharp car.

Pinfinity

Sign, looks outstanding, especially for the first attempt at it. And Joe Diaz's work is way over the top! He redefines the word "Talent"

Pinfinity

You're welcome Sign!...your illustration is hot! nice work, can't wait to see what you do in the future! stay with it