• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

stacking vinyl on top of vinyl for acryclic sign, does light still shine through?

0igo

so i have a customer that wants 2 8x8ft acrylic boards, she wants the background red with yellow letters. i didnt want to sit there printing the whole thing out, my question is can i cover the whole thing with red vinyl and put yellow letters over that or would that be a bad idea? has anyone done signs like this or seen any? thank you.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that.
If you're doing vinyl, reverse weed the red so the letters have the white background of the plastic. Otherwise, it'll either light poorly or will look orange (yellow+red, ya know?).
If you think that'll take too much time, go ahead and print it.

Marlene

so i have a customer that wants 2 8x8ft acrylic boards, she wants the background red with yellow letters. i didnt want to sit there printing the whole thing out, my question is can i cover the whole thing with red vinyl and put yellow letters over that or would that be a bad idea? has anyone done signs like this or seen any? thank you.

put yellow letters over the red? really, is this a serious question? of course not unless you cut the letters out of the red and then apply the yellow in the cut areas

2B

that all depends on the materiel you use.

Opaque
Translucent
Transparent

yes multiple layer of vinyl will let the light through, just make sure they are no overlaid
now you put yellow letters on red vinyl it will NOT show yellow letters at night

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of course you can do it. If you put your mind to anything, you can make it work. Some of these ways will work, but they are extra trouble to get it right. Knowing about what your skill level is, I'd say lay a really thin translucent red down and then find a thicker translucent for the yellow and just place it over top. Knowing anything about the color wheel won't matter, since you're not using ambient light. During the day, it will look wonderful and if this is in a well lit area at night, you should be fine. The real trick will be finding vinyl at 96". You'll hafta seem it down the midle horizontally or the other way. Might depend on your layout.

CanuckSigns

Don't let these naysayers get you down, of course you can layer yellow translucent on top of red, what's the worse that can happen?

If light comes through the red vinyl as red, than the yellow vinyl will change the light back to yellow, that's how colours work!

reQ

Don't let these naysayers get you down, of course you can layer yellow translucent on top of red, what's the worse that can happen?

If light comes through the red vinyl as red, than the yellow vinyl will change the light back to yellow, that's how colours work!
:Big Laugh

Andy D

That's some funny sh*t, thanks..but... this is America and first of all, it's spelled "color", and down here you have to start with the copy color (yellow) and
put a solid sheet of the background color on top (red). That's how you make a fine looking sign round here!

I wish that was how it worked, my life would be much easier.

reQ

attachment.php

Attachments

• signmaker.jpg
    signmaker.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 87
  • signmaker2.jpg
    signmaker2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 369

0igo

Of course you can do it. If you put your mind to anything, you can make it work. Some of these ways will work, but they are extra trouble to get it right. Knowing about what your skill level is, I'd say lay a really thin translucent red down and then find a thicker translucent for the yellow and just place it over top. Knowing anything about the color wheel won't matter, since you're not using ambient light. During the day, it will look wonderful and if this is in a well lit area at night, you should be fine. The real trick will be finding vinyl at 96". You'll hafta seem it down the midle horizontally or the other way. Might depend on your layout.

dont you got a 10ft gator board to go find?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
dont you got a 10ft gator board to go find?

No, not at all. How frickin' stoopid can you be ?? Anyone knows if a gatorboard sign flies off a roof anywhere, it's toast. Why waste time looking for something like that ?? That was a dumb action on my part, but not nearly as dumb as all your constant idiotic questions.

Ask the guys at Home Depot, they have an acrylic aisle. They even have fletcher cutters to cut the stuff for you. Then, go to Staples and have their sign department cut the oversized letters for you.

Does light shine through your ears with a flashlight on one side at night ??

boxerbay

this whole project is wonky. you haven't given enough info about it.

1. 8x8 sign. is this sign supposed to be opaque or is it supposed to be translucent backlit illuminated sign?
2. if solid then ok lay down red then an opaque yellow on top.
3. if translucent then do what jill said. knock out the red letters then yellow on top with 1/8 overlap. using translucent vinyl. if its translucent and your doing two 4x8 then your going to have an ugly vertical seam in the middle. also how will it be supported in the middle. how will light not shine through that middle seam. also if it is translucent you should NOT be using acrylic. you should use LEXAN and an 8x8 sheet if available. you will still have a vertical vinyl seam.

J Hill Designs

this whole project is wonky. you haven't given enough info about it.

1. 8x8 sign. is this sign supposed to be opaque or is it supposed to be translucent backlit illuminated sign?
2. if solid then ok lay down red then an opaque yellow on top.
3. if translucent then do what jill said. knock out the red letters then yellow on top with 1/8 overlap. using translucent vinyl. if its translucent and your doing two 4x8 then your going to have an ugly vertical seam in the middle. also how will it be supported in the middle. how will light not shine through that middle seam. also if it is translucent you should NOT be using acrylic. you should use LEXAN and an 8x8 sheet if available. you will still have a vertical vinyl seam.

+1 on lexan - available almost everywhere in 102" roll stock
if its in a cabinet, it will need hangar rails and bumpers

0igo

All funny stuff aside, please don't do it

i have to there's a big seam down the middle. the old sign was split into two parts half Chinese food other a tire shop. their frame was made for that lol