• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts?

Signmaker1234

refined version of original

refined

Attachments

• jd-construction-web-3.jpg
    jd-construction-web-3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 118

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why does the 'J' get preferential treatment over the 'D' ??

All of your attempts treat the various letter heights differently.​

Signmaker1234

Idk

Why does the 'J' get preferential treatment over the 'D' ??
All of your attempts treat the various letter heights differently.​

I don't really have a reason, other than it works for me. I have tried making them the same size, but I always end up changing it back! Provides balance in the saw blade version and the nail is sticking up in the second design! So I guess it just works for me! I have a third design also, lol and it is the same way! It just works in that one too! I'll post it later.

Signmaker1234

done

These are the designs I am submitting. The top design has 2 versions because the measurement marks wont show up on a small scale which I doubt will get picked anyway, but the customer had a square in one of the 3 drawings he gave me! Thanks everyone for all the comments and feedback! Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• jd-construction-web-3.jpg
    jd-construction-web-3.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 133

J Hill Designs

These are the designs I am submitting. The top design has 2 versions because the measurement marks wont show up on a small scale which I doubt will get picked anyway, but the customer had a square in one of the 3 drawings he gave me! Thanks everyone for all the comments and feedback! Let me know what you think?

last one would be OK if it wasn't for that stupid nail for an I

Jillbeans

I admit to really hating the big J. I have hated it from the start but didn't want to sound mean. It might be my OCD acting up, or just the fact that it throws everything off balance.
In your last batch of three, I suppose the top one with the red tool is OK.
But everything else just looks like a re-hash of your original, which was just not that appealing (to me) but I don't pay your salary, your customer does, and he will choose the one with the nail hahaha
I tried to help, Tiki tried to help, but you seem fixated on that weird J, which in my opinion, doesn't work.
:Big Laugh

Signmaker1234

I admit to really hating the big J. I have hated it from the start but didn't want to sound mean. It might be my OCD acting up, or just the fact that it throws everything off balance.
In your last batch of three, I suppose the top one with the red tool is OK.
But everything else just looks like a re-hash of your original, which was just not that appealing (to me) but I don't pay your salary, your customer does, and he will choose the one with the nail hahaha
I tried to help, Tiki tried to help, but you seem fixated on that weird J, which in my opinion, doesn't work.
:Big Laugh

I appreciate your feedback and your honesty! Not sure why I got fixated on the big J thing, I guess it came from my first doodle where the J went above the roof and doubled as the chimney! It just kinda stuck with me! I really appreciate yours and everyone's feedback! THANKS EVERYONE! I'll let you know what they pick!

Marlene

I too hate that big "J". I do like the hammer embedded into the two letters. I do get where you were going with the nail but one special effect per logo usually works better

GoodPeopleFlags

Not solely picking on you, Signmaker1234, but I'll never understand why beginner designers come on here wanting honest critiques but dismiss suggestions from very experienced designers and ultimately stick with their own idea. And then even justify it with "That's what the customer wants". The customer isn't a designer. It's the designer's job to give the customer something better than what they want. If the beginner designers only wanted some "good job" comments, I wish they would just say that from the beginning and save everyone's time.

In your defense, Signmaker1234, it's cool that you haven't been a jerk about it like many others in the past. Stubborn, yes, but not a jerk. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I actually think it's great, that someone, like the OP, isn't copycatting others designs, but rather utilizing what he sees and tries to improve his/her skills.

One of the things which is hard to comprehend is..... someone learns by making mistakes.... your own mistakes. If all one did was to take all the good stuff, copy it, they haven't learned a thing. Whether you're honing your skills to be a designer or doing a math test, you won't learn a thing by copying. Take what you like from here or there and make it your own. Once you know the reasoning or math theorem behind it, it will make all the sense in the world.

The difference in letter heights is not a 'right' or 'wrong' process, but a personal preference kinda thing. To some, it becomes aesthetics, while to others, it becomes an eye sore. My question is..... why is the J so much larger ?? Because it is more important ?? Is it his first name ?? What function does it serve being so much larger ?? He answered it. He just likes it. For me, it becomes a focal point and other than he likes it, it makes no sense. His reason is weak, but it's an honest reason.

:peace!:

Signmaker1234

The original designed has evolved into some real winners. The customer will have a hard time deciding. :smile:

Thank you! I heard back from the client/customer and apparently there are 3 people involved in the decision making, and each one likes a different design! I guess that's good in a way?