• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tire Company Repaint

Jillbeans

Just finished a big painted sign.
Time-wise it was about 6 hours to lay out (the scissors lift I was supposed to get from the owner did not work so a good buddy helped me and we did it with ladders)
Paint-wise it was about 10 hours with two people and 4 more hours just with me.
I think it turned out OK despite a few glitches.
The tire guy is modified clip art, the Firestone/Bridgestone is from the factory CD, the shield is completely hand-painted (by me) the typography is all retro.
I used Ronan One-Stroke lettering enamels.
Here's the before and after with a few detail shots.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• oldkress.jpg
    oldkress.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 30sign.jpg
    30sign.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 7sign.jpg
    7sign.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 22sign.jpg
    22sign.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 26sign.jpg
    26sign.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 13sign.jpg
    13sign.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Kress_SignDSC_9150.jpg
    Kress_SignDSC_9150.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 200

SignManiac

Very well done Jill:thumb: I admire your physical stamina. I know your muscles will be achy for the next few days :)

Baz

Looks really nice Jill. :thumb: Must have been hard on the feet doing all that on ladders...

mike ham

nice work

a little to bit too much work for me on site labour rate would have paid for new material to reface job. ie alupanel. maybe just me being lazy. otherwise nice work.

Craig Sjoquist

Awesome finished job & great before & after.

The guy look super as well as the shield really like the blends & chrome.

What is so great about a hand painted ad like this profit is so much higher then vinyl & it took your awesome talent.

ProWraps

What is so great about a hand painted ad like this profit is so much higher then vinyl & it took your awesome talent.

awesome talent but at 30 man hours, sorry craig, you are wrong on that statement. that could have been installed in an hour with one person and would have required probably about $100 in materials.

again, looks amazing, but the posts about painting being so much higher profit that printed vinyl are getting annoying.

qmr55

awesome talent but at 30 man hours, sorry craig, you are wrong on that statement. that could have been installed in an hour with one person and would have required probably about $100 in materials.

again, looks amazing, but the posts about painting being so much higher profit that printed vinyl are getting annoying.

+1 :popcorn:

HulkSmash

Awesome finished job & great before & after.

The guy look super as well as the shield really like the blends & chrome.

Talent indeed. Profit Margin is higher? Sorry i can't agree with that statement.

mike ham

nice work

quality not there also? you still have a 20 year or so sign underneath. kinda like putting on a evening gown on a old whore probably going to come off rather easily? lol. again nice work not my way of doing the job. been there done that

Joe Crumley

J. That's what a tire sign should look like. I really like the layout. To me that's where a sign is made. I really wish you were using a lift instead of the ladders. My back hurts already. I'm not surprised at your painting skills. You the Gal. Joe

SignosaurusRex

Very Nice Jill! :thumb: There is something special and joyous about spending time in the air with a brush in your hand, smelling paint and creating by hand that which will be seen by millions for years to come, yet really appreciated by a only few, especially with someone else of like mind and passion for the artistry and craft! :wink:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well done and nicely executed. The 'sign' of a real sign person is when you run into a problem..... or several setbacks, you re-group and you still get the job done and everything is still sweet smelling.

Good looking from all angles. Profit ?? Coulda been higher, but still no slouch to have this baby under you belt.

That sign in digital print or cut vinyl will probably never last near as long as lettering enamels..... even with how lousy they are these days.

Someone mentioned about new surface not lasting. I believe with 6 hours in prep, it should last a lon-g-g-g time.

:thumb:

Joe Diaz

Talent indeed. Profit Margin is higher? Sorry i can't agree with that statement.

I know of many projects that we have completed that were much more profitable to do by hand, especially when you consider the fact that this day and age you can charge a premium for the additional longevity and in some cases the exclusivity of getting things done by hand. The labor may be a bit higher for some jobs and lower for others, but the material and equipment costs are usually significantly lower. So considering all that it's not a stretch to say one can profit more from hand painted work. We actually use both the old and the new here together on certain projects, like murals for example.