• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tire Company Repaint

HulkSmash

I know of many projects that we have completed that were much more profitable to do by hand, especially when you consider the fact that this day and age you can charge a premium for the additional longevity and in some cases the exclusivity of getting things done by hand. The labor may be a bit higher for some jobs and lower for others, but the material and equipment costs are usually significantly lower. So considering all that it's not a stretch to say one can profit more from hand painted work. We actually use both the old and the new here together on certain projects, like murals for example.

My Labor rate would be about 4800 for the amount of man hrs she has into it.
I'm sure if one was to charge 7000 for that sign it would be more profitable. But at the point of what it was priced it and how long it took to do it... in our world it just doesn't add up.

Not degrading the talent it takes to do that in any way.. trust me i couldn't do it. Very impressed with hand painted work.

signguy 55

a little to bit too much work for me on site labour rate would have paid for new material to reface job. ie alupanel. maybe just me being lazy. otherwise nice work.

It's a shame that everything has to be about dollars. For those that can't do painting by hand they can't appreciate the feeling of finishing a job and looking back and thinking "I did that" and be proud of it. Even better is when the owner or someone else walks by and says "I wish I could do that". I've never heard that when I'm putting vinyl on a set of truck doors.

I haven't done a wall job in over 15 years, and very few actual paint jobs anymore. When you crunch the numbers it just doesn't make sense to spend a day on a layout and then paint, sometimes multiple coats, in the heat of summer or rain, etc.

Yeah, $100.00 in materials may have done it, but Jill can say 'I did that" and realize not many people in the sign business can.

HulkSmash

It's a shame that everything has to be about dollars. For those that can't do painting by hand they can't appreciate the feeling of finishing a job and looking back and thinking "I did that" and be proud of it. Even better is when the owner or someone else walks by and says "I wish I could do that". I've never heard that when I'm putting vinyl on a set of truck doors.

I would love not to worry about price, but i have a family to provide for. As much as i wish i had the talent to do that, i'm quite happy i don't have to, and there is technology now that can.

Joe Diaz

My Labor rate would be about 4800 for the amount of man hrs she has into it.
I'm sure if one was to charge 7000 for that sign it would be more profitable. But at the point of what it was priced it and how long it took to do it... in our world it just doesn't add up.

Not degrading the talent it takes to do that in any way.. trust me i couldn't do it. Very impressed with hand painted work.
I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that her labor rate plus overhead are less than a wrap company's. ($160 an hour, is that what you had?) So she may have fared better than you think.

Jillbeans

One of the best parts of this job for me was that I did not have to buy an expensive printer or learn how to use it in order to do this. And I agree, this should look good for ten or more years. And even when it starts to fade, it will still look kinda cool.
Existing sign was in good shape. The employees did the prep and priming.
The 6 hours was mainly me d!cking around with the crappy scissors lift.
If you've never felt the joy from painting a sign, you probably wouldn't understand.
It got my company a lot of attention, who knows, it might get me more work like this.
The owner specifically stated that he "didn't want any of that vinyl crap"
:smile:

GWSigns

Very nice!

Coming from the SW where signs like this are around forever, I have always admired the hand painted work.

ddubia

Very nice job Jill. The overall layout and the font choice for the legend specifically are examples of your great talents.

I haven't hand lettered anything in over 12 years. I really miss it. When I started you had to have a can of paint and a brush to make a sign.

There's nothing like being that close to every stroke that builds up into a good job, especially outdoors. But these days I work for someone else and it's all computers. I do enjoy designing on the computer, but unlike painting, after the design is finished I have no love for the rest of the process.

When I first started working at my current job the owner always introduced me to his vendors as a sign "painter". Often their first comment was, "You guys are a dying breed". I suppose that was a compliment. But I'd often thought that if I went back on my own as a sign painter my slogan would be, "The dying breed ain't dead yet!".

Keep up the good work.

Dan Antonelli

Looks great Jill. I didn't fully appreciate the scale of it until I saw you in the pic. Wow, its big!

I've been digging through some old pictures lately of me hand lettering. I miss it for sure.

John Butto

The only thing I miss from outside signpainting days is getting a drink or stoned afterwards. Setting up ladderjacks, A frame stepladders with planks, hanging off the side of a watertower with a rope, cold winter days, hot summer days, paint dried into your skin.
If I won Powerball and gave JillBeans a million dollars she would be "dicking" around with something besides a broken scissor lift. It is a lot of work and I commend her on her accomplishment.

JR's

I have one major problem.!!! I'm surprised no one has pointed it out.

We need some up close photos of Jill painting. You look right at home Jill. Keep up the good work. :thumb: :thumb: :loveya:

skyhigh

Nice job Jill.
Thats a lot of time on a ladder (at our age....LOL). Hats off to you girl.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars on printers.....a building to "house" them at......utilities to keep the machines and vinyl comfy. Compared to Jill's shelf where she keeps her quarts of "One Shot".

LOL.....I think she may have done OK.

Joe Diaz

Nice job Jill.
Thats a lot of time on a ladder (at our age....LOL). Hats off to you girl.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars on printers.....a building to "house" them at......utilities to keep the machines and vinyl comfy. Compared to Jill's shelf where she keeps her quarts of "One Shot".

LOL.....I think she may have done OK.

:goodpost: Exactly. Different strokes for different folks.

SignManiac

An age old saying...."Those who can DO, Those who can't PRINT" :Big Laugh
Imagine a day when there's no electricity. That would put a lot of shops out of business in a hurry. Why I keep my brushes and paint handy. Armageddon could be right around the corner and I can hand letter "The end is near!" signs and sell at a 10% discount!