• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

took the plunge and upgraded to cs6.

petesign

Started getting files I couldn't open more and more often (bastards) -- so i decided it was time to upgrade.

Not liking the new colors, maybe ill get used to it. Anyone have some tips on what's new/different that I am going to run in to? I previously had cs5. It looks like photoshop has a lot of new bells and whistles, and Illustrator is now 64 bit, so that should be nice... but it looks like a lot has changed. The adobe I had grown so used to looks a LOT different.

Not sure what i am asking, maybe for tips on the adjustment.. as well as just making a general bservation since i am 5 minutes into the new version, and about a year behind the curve.

thanks!
-Pete

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Started getting files I couldn't open more and more often (bastards)

My thoughts exactly.

Sooo...

I am a year behind the times? Story of my life.

Letterbox Mike

It's not overwhelmingly different than recent past releases. You'll get used to it, give it time.

And FYI you can change how dark or light the interface is in the control panel. At first I hated what it defaulted to because i was so used to the lighter look, but I gave it a shot and now you couldn't pay me to go back to the lighter option.

particleman

The tracing engine has been redone and works pretty well. Depending on the size of files you have to open 64 bit can be a good enough reason to upgrade.

synergy_jim

We've been on subscription with 3 seats and the 100GB cloud storage for 6 months. I love it.... the cloud storage allows you to upload layered files as proofs and the customer can turn layers off in the browser after you share with them..... crazy good web tools.

You get the entire Cs6 software catalog and all updates and can install on two seats that are OS independent.

JoeBoomer

Upgraded to the standard (2 seats) cloud license. I too love it. Plus you get the entire Adobe Suite for like $30/mo (upgrade) or $50/mo normally. I'm very happy they finally switched to a subscription service instead of purchasing full suite every year.

Getting used to some of the new features yet, but overall very happy.

Oh yeah, Illustrator is finally 64 bit! It makes me feel better to finally use a few of these 32gigs of RAM I threw in my iMac. or the 16 I put in my macbook. Still doesn't

Last edited:

synergy_jim

Upgraded to the standard (2 seats) cloud license. I too love it. Plus you get the entire Adobe Suite for like $30/mo (upgrade) or $50/mo normally. I'm very happy they finally switched to a subscription service instead of purchasing full suite every year.

Getting used to some of the new features yet, but overall very happy.

I think we are paying $70.00 per seat with group cloud. The files when you share them can be commented on and downloaded if you allow it. Did I mention it will render any adobe file for viewing in the browser. how awesome is that...

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It's not overwhelmingly different than recent past releases. You'll get used to it, give it time.

And FYI you can change how dark or light the interface is in the control panel. At first I hated what it defaulted to because i was so used to the lighter look, but I gave it a shot and now you couldn't pay me to go back to the lighter option.

Agree.... love the darker interface now. You also quickly get used to the newer Pantone + colors which are now defined with more accurate lab values.

phototec

Yeppers, I love all the new features like Content Aware Patch, I do like the new darker workspace, it's more neutral and helps with color management, although if you don't like it, you can change it back to what you are use to.

Here are some of the many NEW features:

Auto-recovery Let the auto-recovery option work behind the scenes to save your edits without interrupting your progress. A copy of your work is saved every 10 minutes and recovered in the event of an unexpected shutdown. This works well and saved my but when the Windows auto update shut down my computer when I didn't know it was going to happen.

All-new Crop Tool
Crop images faster and with greater precision using the all-new, nondestructive Crop tool. Rapidly manipulate your images on canvas and see your adjustments happen live thanks to the Mercury Graphics Engine.

Adobe Camera Raw 7
Bring out the best in your JPEG and raw files with improved processing and an enhanced control set; reveal every detail in the highlights of an image while still retaining rich detail in the shadows; and much more.

Revolutionary erodible brushes
Draw more naturally and realistically using drawing tips that erode as you work. Endlessly wear down and sharpen a charcoal pencil or pastel to create different effects, and save favorite blunted tips as presets.

Automatic resampling
Get great results when resizing an image — the best resample method is automatically selected.

Increased maximum brush sizes
Edit and paint with brush sizes all the way up to 5000px.

Mercury Graphics Engine
See near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify and Puppet Warp. The new Adobe Mercury Graphics Engine delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

New Blur Gallery
Quickly create photographic blur effects using a simple new interface with on-image controls. Create tilt-shift effects, blur everything and then sharpen one focal point, or vary the blurriness between multiple focal points. The Mercury Graphics Engine delivers immediate results.

:thumb:

petesign

I considered buying the cloud version, but really liked the idea of actually owning the software. What happens when your internet goes down? (it happens sometimes)

Now I am having a problem where if I double click a pdf or ai or eps file in windows explorer, illustrator comes to the forefront, but doesnt open the file? I have to open from the file menu inside illustrator to open. Maybe ill try bridge and see if that works. Might not hurt to get used to using bridge to find and open files anyway.

--- EDIT ---
Files will not open by double clicking in bridge either. Illustrator comes up and nothing happens.

ProColorGraphics

I have been on CS6 via the cloud since it came out and love it! Like others have said, not a while lot different, just added features. I actually like the darker interface, but you can change it back if you want. I also like getting the new features as they are ready too versus waiting until the next release.

Techman

wait until the providers start charging for the kilobytes you move around. Then it will be a whole new expensive ball game. It will be just like the old CompuServe model. You down load something and pay a price for it. Lost the download near the and of it and have to restart and pay twice..
They are in discussions as we type to do just that. ATT T and the other major carriers are crying about the subscription model over the lack of billing for byte transfer usage for a very long time. The discussion is including a 5 gig per month transfer (both ways) then a fee kicks in with a progressively higher cost as your usage goes up. This model is being tested in several areas now.. Good luck with it and the cloud usage theory.

phototec

I guess I'm OLD school, I purchase software in a BOX, always have and always will.

Some day in our future there will be a large-scale cyber attack on the internet, and it will go DOWN, I want to be able to still functions when that happens.

All my files are backed up right here in my domain, not in the clouds...

:thumb:

Typestries

Went from 3 seats of cs4 to 3 of cs6. A little odd at first, but now I'm really digging it. My coworkers not so much yet. The 64bit speed increase is really dramatic on opening, saving, and resizing. Don't care for the pricing model but the time saving tools make up for that.

johnnysigns

I saw a $400 savings by not buying outright in a hard copy format. With cloud you just yank down what you'll need/use and pay a monthly vigg.

WildWestDesigns

I considered buying the cloud version, but really liked the idea of actually owning the software.

That's actually a misconception. You don't own the software, what you are purchasing (either via subscription or regular DVD (or download)) is the right to use the software (license). Not ownership, that's why you have conditions (EULA) related to it. Now different licenses allow you to do different things, but it's not ownership. Exact same thing that we do with our designs, which always surprises me when people disregard the EULA for the software they use to make money, but get all up in arms when someone does the exact same thing with their artwork.